(Closed) is $200+ a person the new "norm" for a wedding venue in NJ?

posted 4 years ago in Venue
Post # 31
40 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I looked at different places in NJ/NY and totally understand your pain. I was in shock at the prices. One place we looked at that was in the hudson valley region was Falkirk Estate. The people were so nice and had we decided on a wedding in New York instead of California it probably would have been there. 

I also remember their pricing was a little bit better than other places and they were willing to work with you and modify the menu to get to a price we felt comfortable with. 

Post # 32
2507 posts
Sugar bee

Very simply, yes. North Jersey, Long Island, and Hudson Valley average 52k for a wedding (and that’s for ~150). We’re getting married in the Catskills and it’s $265/person. It’s still shocking to me. 

Post # 33
733 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

Yeah it just depends. Mine is in South Jersey and we’re paying $135 pp on a Friday night. My dad talked them down from $145 (which with 200 guests makes a big difference!) It was like $185 on Saturday. Other places I looked, two in Philly were $145-165 and Future Brother-In-Law got married at the Venetian in Garfield about 4.5 years ago for $220 a person. Crazy! In this area, I thought $135 was pretty good 🙂

Post # 34
2507 posts
Sugar bee

Fwiw, check out Bear Mountain State Park – about an hour north of NYC the (Bear Mountain Inn). It was the least expensive of the options that we looked at, absolutley STUNNING, but the reception room was HUGE. Easily 200-250 people huge, and our wedding I half that size. Site fee was SUPER cheap (1200 – compared with 10k average from the 10 venues we looked at), and the pricing per head for Spring started in the $140s. Definitely the most affordable place we saw that also felt like the kind of wedding we wanted. Alas, it was too much space!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  ilovesophia.
Post # 35
907 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

We’re getting married in Philadelphia, and our per person cost is about $200-250 a head for the reception. That was pretty typical for the cities in the northeast. If we had gone out to Lancaster or the Poconos, it would have been far less. But we wanted to make it easy for all of our guests, so a city it was. 

Post # 36
257 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

My fiancé and I are both from NJ, so we knew from the beginning that things would be expensive because everything around here is haha. That being said, if you’re willing to go into Centrral Jersey or even PA, you’ll have much better luck. Most places will work with you and are around $120-$150 a person.

Our wedding is in PA, about an hour from Philadelphia, at the John James Audubon Center. I’m not sure what type of place you’re looking for. Ours is outdoorsy, not your typical ballroom. But there are definitely places within your budget. (: 

Post # 37
58 posts
Worker bee

camette:  Did you ever find your venue?? I’m feeling the same way right now!

The topic ‘is $200+ a person the new "norm" for a wedding venue in NJ?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors