Is 200 too small?

posted 3 months ago in Guests
Post # 17
162 posts
Blushing bee

My wedding had 80 people, we worked from immediate family (parents, siblings + partners), to extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins) and thereafter included a few of our closest friends. My family is significantly larger than my husband’s and so my guest count was more, therefore he was able to invite more family friends.

Since we were paying for the wedding, no one, and most definitely not a venue/vendor, had any right to dictate to us the number of people we should invite. Regardless of your subculture, invite who you WANT to invite and not just random people to fill up numbers and appear to fall within this vendor’s stereotype of your culture. 

Post # 18
112 posts
Blushing bee

That is definately not too small! Wedding sizes are your and your fiances choice and that’s the only one that matters! I understand many cultures have larger weddings because everyone and their mother is invited and there is so much extended family which is great, but by no means is this a must!!!

These vendors/venues are simply trying to make more money and I suggest that if you find your gettinf this push back then go with venues and vendors that are not from your culture.. because if this how they are acting and making you feel guilty on initial meetings then I think its likely you will feel this way during the entire process with every descision you make.. 
Your venue and vendors should be there to help put your idea to life and make it a beautiful and strress free day not the opposite

Best of luck!

Post # 19
4877 posts
Honey bee

Not too small! Firstly it’s gross they sterotyped you and had the gall to tell you “it’s usually bigger weddings” for your ethnicity. What is that?! I’d find another place honestly and maybe call them out a bit. 200 people is a decent sized wedding. We had about 80 and it was big enough!!!

Post # 20
278 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2018

mel2 :  Uh, this is far from the most ridiculous question on these boards. Why so rude? She’s just looking for some reassurance. There are so many pressures from all sides when planning a wedding; it’s not just a “standard adulthood task”, hence why this site even exists… 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors