(Closed) Is 229/pp outrageous for a Cape Cod wedding reception?

posted 5 years ago in Food
Post # 3
752 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

That sounds like a lot to me, but the menu also seems lavish. Are lobsters, scallops and crab in season in October? That could be why the prices seem so high. Hopefully everyone going likes seafood!

Post # 4
1629 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

yeah i would want to pay half that at most.

Post # 5
2335 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Is that just food or does it include linens, tablewear, and other rentals too?

Post # 6
10368 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Are rentals and the venue fee included in that per head charge? If so, then yeah, pretty standard for the cape. If not, i’d keep looking. I’m sure Boston caterers are happy to travel to the Cape (I just moved to CA after 7 years of living on the cape and in Boston)

Post # 7
122 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

229pp is outrageous no matter where you are going unless you plan on having 30 people at your reception.  Ouch!

Post # 8
857 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@crayfish:  Agreed. I’ve done some private chef gigs in the Hamptons and this would have been a normal per person rate if it included rentals and fees. 

If it’s too high of a charge for you, which, honestly, to me, breakfast is – why not look into doing a classic, casual clambake? 

Post # 9
1361 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

It’s expensive, but honestly it doesn’t sound like that much given all the stuff you’re getting.  some of those things are really pricey (like the raw bar).

Post # 11
8044 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

@JKozmic:  The Knot just put out a graphic yesterday (it’s on their Facebook page), saying the average wedding cost is around $27K, and they list $61/head as the average catering cost. 18,000 brides (from average to luxurious) were surveyed for this.

$229 sounds like a lot to me, but if you’re dead set on having this, can you just invite less people? I don’t know if they have a minimum number of guests, but you could see. To put this into perspective, when was the last time you spent $229 on food/alcohol just on yourself for a meal? I definitely don’t do that too often.

Will this be worth it? Will guests appreciate it? Will guests think ‘OMG how did they afford this?!’. Just be careful I guess. Don’t go over budget.

Post # 12
12621 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Honestly, for the Cape, I’m going to say it’s expensive, but not ridiculous.  Compare with the other caterers, and perhaps you can cut some of the fancy schmancy things to save a bit.

Post # 14
2058 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Lobster & crab & a raw bar are insanely expensive!  My caterer wanted to charge an extra $25 a person for a raw bar, and lobster as an entree was a $35 upcharge too.  That was on top of an already high cost.

It definitely sounds high, but not out of the ballpark.  The Cape is expensive!

Post # 15
857 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@JKozmic:  My eyes rolled, BIG TIME, when reading what your caterer told you. I have restaurant/catering experience and that’s a load of shit, honestly. I’d shop around. You’d be shocked if you knew what kind of markup this caterer was putting on your menu. 

Post # 16
29 posts
Newbee

229 per person??? Holy crap that’s expensive.

The topic ‘Is 229/pp outrageous for a Cape Cod wedding reception?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors