(Closed) Is $270 too much to ask …

posted 12 years ago in Dress
Post # 17
306 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009 - Ceremony: The Kraine Theatre, Reception: Midtown Loft & Terrace

I don’t think it’s outrageous, although I have inflated NYC prices in mind. Maybe you could offer to help pay for some of it for bridesmaids who want to take you up on the offer?

Post # 18
1356 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

I would definitely talk to your BMs before totally trashing your desire for this dress.  I would just explain that you are searching for a different dress because the fushia is too bright in person, and you were just wondering what their budgets were.  That way, even if the new dress you found IS out of their price range, at least you will know where they stand (which will help you find another dress)!

Post # 19
121 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

That fuschia dress is hot!  I almost went with that same dress but different color – the style of the dress is unbelieveably flattering on everyone. 

I do think that it is too much to ask your girls to pay, though.  I felt terrible when the prices of the dresses I had everyone order total $209 (tax and shipping). 

Is that 2nd one Jim Heljm (sp?)?  His dresses are fantastic, too!  But so expensive – damn you Jim!! 🙂

Post # 20
441 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2009

How many bridesmaids do you have?  Are you ordering the dress at the same location as your wedding dress?  Sometimes bridal shops offer discounts depending on the size of your bridal party.  That could help defray the costs. 

Or you can try to buy the fabric you want and have dressmaker recreate the dress.

Post # 21
257 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

It seems pretty high to me, but like other suggested, can you chip in for a portion if you really love it? I know that can really add up.  Maybe see if there are any out there that you all love but is more in people’s price range (if this one is not). I would just straight up ask them, and say I wanted to see if this is too much for everyone, please be honest!

Post # 22
124 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I love the first dress!  I think $270 is too much for a dress they will never wear again, unless they are all pretty well off.  I know I couldn’t ask my bridesmaids to pay that much for a dress – they wouldn’t be able to afford it.  I know I would not be able to!  You can find gorgeous dresses for much cheaper! 

Post # 23
205 posts
Helper bee

I agree with it depends on your life, profession, and things of that nature. Im a college grad that can’t find a job so I would have to say no to a wedding where the dress starts at $270. I would feel awful but I couldn’t afford it plus other things.

Maybe take the picture into a few bridal salons and say THIS is the look I want and see what they have? Good luck! I love Jim Heljm dresses too!

Post # 24
181 posts
Blushing bee

I must agree that $270 seems a bit much for your BMS to pay.  But like others have mentioned, this all depends with situations with your BMS as well. 

Perhaps if the $$ is the issue here, you can meet your BMS half way with them if you REALLY want them to wear that dress?

Post # 25
149 posts
Blushing bee

does the fushia dress come in any other colours? i love the elegance of that one much more then the blue one.

Post # 26
1174 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

The second dress is sooo pretty. It doesn’t cream bridesmaid so if your girls attend formal evening functions they will be able to wear it again. I would definitely ask them – explain that you love the dress but know it is very expensive, and ask them if you should keep looking. If I were a bridesmaid I would be willing to buy that dress because I love it!

Edit: After closer inspection of the photo, it is really the satin sash that “makes” the dress. Otherwise it is a very common shape. I bet you could find a similar style of dress for cheaper and just make the sashes or have them made by a seamstress. They are beautiful and it would be an easy project.

Post # 27
1581 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I think I would talk with the bridemaids and get a feel of what they think on the price.  Have you had any of them try it on yet? You may not like it on them. 

I personally think $270 is too much for most people considering they only wear it once.

Post # 28
8375 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I like the first one.

Frankly, the second one is pretty, but the blue one is too bridesmaidy. When would you ever wear that again? I doubt I would. I don’t mind spending money if i can wear stuff again, but i hate the “only one time” thing.

Can you have it made for cheaper? Or buy a similair v-shaped dress and make the sashes and put them on? Sashes are cake to make by the way.

Post # 29
338 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Okay… Mori Lee and Jim Hjelm gowns? It seems you and I share a similar taste! Have you checked out Impression Bridal? You may find some reasonable dresses you like there. IDK about colors…

http://www.impressionbridal.com/catalog.php?cat=23

Post # 30
137 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

As others have said, I really think it depends on your bridesmaids’ situations and also their expectations. I involved my bridesmaids in the entire process from the beginning and I looked at everything from David’s Bridal to high end boutiques. In the end, my friends (who range from grad students to professionals) felt that if they were going to be spending money either way, they at least wanted it to be on something that they liked. We ultimately picked dresses that are $270-330 and I was more concerned about the price than they were! A lot of them think they can/will wear the dresses again. While I’d love for that to be the case – I’m eager to see how that eventually plays out…. 😉

I think the fair thing is to give them a diverse selection and see what their feelings on the matter are. Make their involvement fun. I went with my girls in groups (some were from out of town so I had to work around their travel schedules) and gave them pink pens and little charts so they could make notes on each dress. We got cocktails afterward and shared thoughts about each of the stores and the dresses they tried on. This way they could see the dresses in person. If you involve them they can share their thoughts with you on each of the options throughout the day. I think after spending time with them and involving them in the process like this, you’ll have a sense of what the right thing to do for YOUR friends is. Have fun and good luck!

Post # 31
1211 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I would pay the additional $70 for each bridesmaid…it is a little high-$250 is the most I’ve paid.

The topic ‘Is $270 too much to ask …’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors