(Closed) Is $270 too much to ask …

posted 12 years ago in Dress
Post # 32
369 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Just to let you know one of my friends was in a wedding with that second dress, same color material etc etc and it was really awful, it got stained with the smallest bit of water condensation. It was super uncomfortable.  And its def not rewearable.  With that said you may want to think of another dress.  Just trying to let you know from someone who has been in that bridesmaid’s shoes!  I think you can have you BMs spend $270 on a dress if you think they are all in the financial place to do it and especially if you make the dress something they like and would potentially re-wear. GL!

Post # 33
367 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

it depends on where your BMs are in life / what they can afford financially but my initial reaction is that it’s a little much. remember, they’ll have to pay for alterations too and are likely not to wear it again (if they do, it’s a bonus, best not to assume). try to think of it as an all-in expense – how much would they spend between dress, shoes, showers, travel, gifts, etc.

Post # 34
341 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

I really like that 2nd dress, but I would take what Lovespearls says above.

I also think the price tag is a bit much. I had also been looking at some dresses that were over $200 and when I mentioned it to my BMs, they all said that “wasn’t bad” and were willing to pay that, but I could not with a clear conscious ask them to pay that much and then shoes on top of that.

Post # 35
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Personally I would say yes $270 is WAY to much for a bridesmaid dress, I felt bad asking one of mine to pay $180 (which was the highest of the four, they are all wearing different dresses). But you also have to take into consideration many other factors on the mater; what kind of wedding is it? Is it very formal? If so I think they should expect it. Also think of your maids financial situation! If they aren’t in the position to put out that kind of money for their dress then don’t expect them to, unless you’re willing to fork over the money for them! If they all like the dress you can come to some agreement where as they pay for the dress, but you pay for their shoes/purse, etc. And make sure it’s a dress that can be used again, no one wants to spend $270 on a dress and only use it once…i mean it’s bad enough that once we get married we have to spend crap loads of money on that one special dress and only get to wear it ONCE in our lifetime!

Post # 38
711 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009 - St. Thomas of Villanova Church & the F.U.E.L. House

Is there any way to get the dresses at a discount, like ordering from the salon where you purchased your dress (we saved $50 per girl doing that) or from Pearl’s Place?

Post # 39
3968 posts
Honey bee

I think if makes you hesitate, it probably is.  Like others have said – you know what your friend’s income(s) are.  It would be great if you could help offset the costs – esp. if you’ve had any conversation with them about costs involved.  I tend to expect to pay anywhere from 100-300 on the dress AND alterations.  The 270 price tag leaves little room for alteration costs.  Add shoes, hair, etc… and it’s starting to add up fast!

Post # 40
41 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I say put it to them and ask them to be REALLY honest with you before you amke any decisions. Most of my maids were willing to spend some dough. If you have some that are reluctant, you can either pay part of it for them or pay for other parts of their attire. I bought all of my girls shoes and we’ll be getting ready at my house so no hotel fees. Not bad considering you will probably pay for their bouquets, transportation, meals, etc…

Dessy has some nice ones- a color called tuttifrutti- silk shantung. I bought my Maid/Matron of Honor dresses in that color for $234. Also, I went through RK Bridal which is a legit and registered discount seller of brand name wedding attire- sells for cheaper than most bridal shops.

Post # 41
1001 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Hey thats funny…I’m wearing that Mori Lee dress for my best friend’s wedding in Feb.  I thought that the price tag was great!  I’m also getting married next year, and I would freak out if she asked me to buy a dress that was $270.  Sorry…but that Jim Hjelm dress is pretty too, my wedding dress is Jim Hjelm and I paid a lot for the dress! 

You should ask your girls what their willing to pay or even ask them to search for dresses in the color scheme, after all they are the ones wearing it.

Post # 42
7 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2009

Have you looked at Alfred Angelo style dresses? This one seems to combine parts of both of your pictures and it is under $200.  We found the fabric quality and design to be great for our gowns.  This color is called Lipstick and it’s a bit richer than fuschia.  You can also get a sash in several different designs and many different colors.   Worth a look……..

[attachment=312087,38306]

The topic ‘Is $270 too much to ask …’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors