(Closed) Is $299 too cheap?

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
54 posts
Worker bee

@Missymalumba:  No absolutely not. There is no set “cost” that you have to spend on a ring. If you like it and it fits your ring perfectly then get it! its the meaning behind the ring the matters, not the price tag.

Post # 4
580 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Well the reason it’s cheaper is because there is a smaller amount of gold in it, it’s only 9 carat. The colour may look different from your engagement ring. More importantly, your wedding ring will wear on your e-ring since they are such different gold content. You may need to shop around.

Post # 6
580 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

No, it depends how it’s plated if it’s white gold, if they are both plated the same it’s fine. If they are yellow gold, the e-ring with more gold will look more yellow. You would have to try them on first. And I’d be more worried about the wearing than the colour! If they are white-gold and are plated, the wedding band may rub the plating off the e-ring quicker.

Post # 8
1269 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

$299 is more than my e-ring and band will be together, so no, don’t think it’s too cheap.

If it’s what you’re looking for, goes with your e-ring (if you plan on wearing them both together) and it’s affordable I’d say you’re a lucky girl. A lower carat is usually more durable, the purer the gold the softer it is, if allergies are involed I’d be wary though and if the colour if off I really depends on if it bothers you or not. Someone mentioned before on one of these boards that having the rhodium re-plated is only around $25 when it’s not already included with the ring.

Post # 10
743 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

The wedding ring I want is £150 ($200?) and is a heavyweight plain metal band. If you’re worried about quality i’d have a good look at it, if something is badly made you can see it in the craftsmanship. 

My jeweler mentioned that wear is only really an issue with high carat gold (22+) because it’s so soft. All rings next to each other will rub and patina each other but it generally won’t ruin them. Just don’t wear 9ct next to 22ct like my grandmother did. Her 22ct wore thin, but to be fair it took 65 years of constant wear.

Post # 12
3452 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

That’s not too cheap.  That’s a great price. 

Post # 13
732 posts
Busy bee

The only thing I’m worried about is that 9ct gold is much stronger than 18ct gold. The wedding band may wear down your e-ring.

Post # 15
30 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2012

The value is not in the pricetag, but your love of the ring.

Post # 16
726 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I bought one for the same price. It’s 10kt white gold and my e-ring is 18kt white gold. I asked the jeweler my concerns about wearing the e-ring down and he basically told me that any two rings next to each other will have some wear and tear on them and the only way to prevent that was soldering. I believe him in this b/c if he had told me differently, it would have been easy to convince me into a ring w/ more kts, and therefore, more money.  When I have my two rings next to each other, I can’t tell a color difference but this may be b/c of the way my stones are set. 

The topic ‘Is $299 too cheap?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors