(Closed) Is $33,000 an OK starting salary for social services?

posted 5 years ago in Career
Post # 3
10366 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

From what my SIL has said about salaries in that field, that’s pretty awesome! Congrats!

Post # 4
9677 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

From what I hear about social work…yeah I’d say it’s pretty average/decent starting pay.  Can’t really see much higher than that without any experience.  I’m sure it does depend on the area though.

Post # 5
3265 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

My cousin’s wife is in social services… I don’t even think she can dream of getting such a high amount, despite living in Chicagland. Congrats!!

Post # 6
1729 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Yes, definitely in line!

Post # 7
2425 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Congratulations on the job offer! I have one friend who works in social services in Boston, and that sounds about right to me!

Post # 8
263 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Unfortunately, yes. Which is why I’m no longer in the field! Best of luck to you.

Post # 9
272 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

Sounds about right, if not a little higher than normal starting but that may depend of where you are at. 

Post # 10
1471 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Yeah, it’s area-dependent, but would be stellar where I am!

Post # 11
42 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Human Services positions have the unfortunate reputation for being underpaid, and having low starting salaries. Considering this, I still think 33,000 is awfully low. I know someone who just graduated with her MSW and her starting salary is 60,000, which is about average for all the Social Workers that I know. I think it’s completely possible to get twice the amount they’re offering. My advice would be to take the job to gain good experience and then move into something higher paying in a year or so. I have Social Work friends who work at the VA and make mid 70’s, so don’t get discouraged with the bad reputation. There IS money to be made in the field.

Post # 13
1966 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I think that’s too low but I live in jersey. Cost of living is very high here. A close friends first job working for similar child welfare services started at like 45k. But if you live in a different area 33k could be average especially if you don’t have many expenses. 

Post # 14
1720 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

I started at $29k.

The topic ‘Is $33,000 an OK starting salary for social services?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors