Is 38 children a lot for a guest list of 148?

posted 2 years ago in Guests
Post # 16
1766 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

This sounds like a fun wedding to me! But I wouldn’t enjoy an elegant reception anyway lol. I hadn’t even thought to count the kids invited to my reception, but I mostly see a wedding reception as a big party that can be whatever you want it to be. 

We’re having an afternoon reception  and are doing dancing and a DJ, but we’re also doing board games and a caricature artist and a kids coloring table with coloring sheets and crayons that parents can grab. Until the RSVPs come in though, I won’t have any idea howany kids will be there, I’m thinking it should mostly be family who bring their kids and most of the friends will get sitters, but I have a really good friend with many kids, including a newborn, so I know they’ll at least bring the baby.

I’m not kind enough to spring for babysitters(budget is only $5000), but we’re not serving alcohol and the ceremony is private and occurring the day before the reception. 

You do you and have a lot of fun!

Post # 17
105 posts
Blushing bee

Geekchick42 :  Kids are so much fun at the reception! I’m so excited for the bajillion kiddos that will be at my wedding. I think 2 babysitters will be plenty. If you have parents in the wedding party I would make sure you have a sitter for their kiddos at the reception. 

Post # 18
4 posts
Wannabee

I think its too many but thats just me

Post # 19
4497 posts
Honey bee

It depends.  I have three cousins who have 5-6 kids each.  Just with the three of them it is 16 kids.  Many of my friends now have 1-2 kids.  So I can easily get to 38 with a much smaller guest list than you are proposing.  I will also say that having just been at an event with a number of these children, I barely noticed them unless they came up to me.  I trusted their parents to know how to parent and they did.

Post # 20
555 posts
Busy bee

I would RSVP “NO” to my own wedding if there were 38 kids coming ;p

Post # 21
1020 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2019

I used to work at a daycare. I’m surprised that although you work at a preschool, you think it’s okay for your 2 poor co-workers to watch almost 40 kids. Idk what the age range is, but that’s too many kids for 2 people to watch! You need to get more babysitters. And pray that 40 kids don’t show up lol

Post # 22
570 posts
Busy bee

Geekchick42 :  What about just including kids of immediate family? Or children who are in the bridal party? 

Post # 24
2188 posts
Buzzing bee

Geekchick42 :  I think if you’re inviting families, you should invite them to the whole wedding and reception, especially since its a daytime event. I’d wait until you have confirmed RSVPs for getting sitters. If you end up with 20 kids under 3, you’ll need at least 3 sitters. You could also have your guests RSVP for a sitter or not, so you have a better idea of how many kids you’ll be entertaining for the ceremony.

Is there a way to do a few sitters and a kids area at the reception? With that many kids, it could risk feeling like a kids birthday party if they’re just mingled in with the rest of your guests. But if they could attend the first hour or so and then go to a kids area, you’d get the best of both worlds of having the kids at your wedding, while not feeling overrun with them.

Post # 25
Hostess
3173 posts
Sugar bee

I just want to give you my perspective as a parent. I would never attend a wedding with my 2 year old. As another Bee pointed out, all my attention would be on my kid, keeping him entertained, giving him snacks, making sure he doesn’t cause chaos, trip anyone on the dance floor, etc. I honestly would not even be able to enjoy the wedding. Also, for me it’s so nice to be able to have a rare, adult-feeling evening (or afternoon) out with my man. 

As far as the number of children, yes, 40 seems like an overwhelming number of kids. And no, 2 babysitters is absolutely not sufficient for that many children.

Post # 26
731 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

So, I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority here but we also had a lot of kids attend our wedding and to be honest I actually found it to be a lot of fun! I think it depends on your crowd and if the kids in question are mostly decently behaved kids or if they’re little nightmares… But I think that having kids actually “kicked up” our party a little bit. We had a lot of kids on the floor dancing which in turn brought their parents and a lot of my aunts and uncles on the dance floor too. 

I love this photo of our wedding 😂 kids are straight up BREAKIN IT DOWN, it was nice to see everyone having such a blast! 

Post # 27
476 posts
Helper bee

I had a children’s entertainer at my wedding. She showed up about fifteen minutes before dinner and entertained the kids in a separate room during the entire three course meal. She supervised the children’s dinner, sang songs, painted their faces, brought rabbits for the children to cuddle, did magic tricks, made balloon animals and did crafts with them. Not only did the kids love it, their parents loved it so much they kept visiting the kids room in between courses and they all told me how much  they loved my wedding  because they were free to enjoy themselves without once worrying about the kids. My stepson who was staying with us at the venue kept trying to find the room the next day. It was the best money I spent. 

Post # 28
51 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

I was recently at a wedding that had a bunch of kids mine included. I noticed that the kids who were mostly 5 and up spent most of the time on the dancefloor or hanging out with each other. I noticed the babies and younger kids were all good and having fun until it started to be about 9-10pm and they started to be miserable because they were tired. Those parents ended up having to leave the reception early because their kids were whining, crying, misbehaving because they were tired. 

Post # 29
1962 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2017 - Pearson Convention Centre

We had 350 guests including 84 children from newborns until 13 years old. Neither of us could have imagined getting married and not having nieces, nephews and cousins there family is very important to us

Post # 30
853 posts
Busy bee

Honestly it totally depends on your friend group and how they raise their children. We had 120 guests attend, about half of those being children under 12…and it was totally fine! Most of them were children of church friends who I already knew were well behaved in “wedding-esque” scenarios. We did provide some coloring pages but otherwise they seemed entertained well enough that they were no bother. It’s so cute to watch kiddos on the dance floor! It is true, however, that parents with youngins are more likely to leave early, so if that would bother you then you may want to reconsider…personally that worked out for me since we didn’t plan on our wedding/reception to last all day anyway.

If the parents don’t want to be bothered “passing their kid” between each other all night, they can hire their own babysitter. Just because you invite kids doesn’t mean anyone is forced to bring them. Kids over 5 usually aren’t bothersome like that, anyway. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors