Is 4:30 a reasonable ceremony time?

posted 3 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 2
10 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2017

I’ve always heard, and this is nothing more than an old (probably romantic) wife’s tale, that you should get married when the hand on the clock is on the “up swing” (up being for good luck while going down is “bad luck”).

I’ve always thought it was sweet and am planning our wedding for 11:30.  

That may not be your exact answer, but just my $.02

good luck no matter what time you choose!

Post # 3
135 posts
Blushing bee

I hope so, because that’s when ours is!

Your timeline is actually identical to ours, and I think it’s going to work out perfectly.

Post # 4
1158 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Our ceremony was 4:30 (actually got pushed back a few minutes due to a fire alarm at the venue, and my grandparents running late, so I think technically we got started at 4:45). We chose that time to accomodate for sunset, as we had planned an outdoor ceremony. 

Our timeline was: 
4:30-5:00 Ceremony 
5:00-6:00 Cocktail hour / bridal party and immediate family photos
6:00-11:00 Dinner/Cake/Dancing reception (we extended by one hour, the standard package for our venue would’ve had the reception ending at 10pm, we just wanted more dancing time!) 

Post # 5
16 posts
Newbee

Most people would be attending a wedding at that time anyway even if it was the reception or whenever so yes! No reason why not ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 6
123 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

I don’t see why not. Your timeline isn’t that far off of mine. We start our ceremony at 5:00p and cocktail hour is 5:30p-6:30p and reception 6:30-11:30p

Wedding ceremony is outside in July in NY so lighting should be awesome!

Is there something specific why you were concerned about that start time like are you worried about temperatures or lighting at that hour?

Post # 7
1128 posts
Bumble bee

I hope so- mine is.. on a Friday! Lol

Post # 9
5095 posts
Bee Keeper

Yes, ours was around that time. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 10
1919 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2016

anewvogue :  Almost exactly what we did and it worked perfectly. This gave us all morning to take wedding photos so no “gap time” for our guest. 

Post # 11
123 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

anewvogue :  Ahh that makes perfect sense. It’ll be great timing!

Post # 12
76 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I think that will work perfect. Our ceremony and reception are at same location as well.

Ours is:

3:30-4:30pm  Ceremony (a little wiggle room since nothing ever starts on time)

5pm               Cocktail hour (Bar opens up)

6pm-11pm      Reception

We are starting at 3:30 instead of 4:30 just because our wedding is in October and we need some daylight time for pictures! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 13
9850 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2016

I don’t see why it would be a problem. It seems like a pretty typical start time to me.

Post # 14
1350 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

It’s a little earlier than I’m used to but not by much where I would find it weird if I was invited. 

Typically ceremony where I’m from is 5:30 or 6pm.

Post # 15
2748 posts
Sugar bee

Seems like a good time to me! Might be worth asking your photographer as well. Ours said that the best times for photos is just after the sun has come up and just before it goes down and had some specific input based on where we’re having it. Like, which direction you’ll be facing and whether there are mountain ranges etc. Also to make sure that’s enough time to get in all of the group shots and things you want done in the time between the ceremony and the reception.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors