(Closed) Is a $1600 honeymoon possible?

posted 7 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
2701 posts
Sugar bee

Our cruise is $1500. If you book early, it is definitely possible. And the best part of cruising is almost everything is included already.

Post # 4
1361 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Definitely possible.  Check out Groupon/Living Social, I’ve only skimmed their deals (since we can’t afford to travel for awhile now lol), but they seem decent.  I know for a fact our honeymoon to Mexico in May was less than $1600, but we just booked that on expedia I believe.  Darling Husband did a lot of shopping around.

Post # 5
33 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Ditto for the cruises! We haven’t booked yet, But I’ve been looking at cruise packages for our honeymoon.  The ones I’ve found are doable for $1500 total including tax (7 nights to Eastern Caribbean or Bahamas).  The only thing you have to worry about is if you can’t find one leaving close enough for you to drive to because then airfare can get expensive.  We’re in Philly and they leave from Maryland so we’re contemplating renting a limo to take us there the morning after the wedding <3

Post # 6
1090 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I would look at Mexico for 4 nights. I think it is totally doable. I just went on funjets & put in the Monday after your wedding and found a ton of 4-5 star resorts all inclusive for 4 days! (and from ST. Louis)

Post # 7
2183 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011 - Florida Aquarium

@Mrs.ChubbyBunny: I was totally going to suggest a cruise. We’re taking a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas, and it’s only 1,200. That include, food, (some) drinks, entertainment on board and your room. Ours in total is about 2000, including our excursions, estimated liquor comsumption and a spa treatment!

But, it’s important to keep in mind where you live in relation to ports. We’re getting married in Tampa, so we’re taking a quick drive to Port Canaveral for ours.

ETA: Look at Travelzoo. They have a weekly email with the top 20 most amazing deals. They have really awesome trips for really cheap.

Post # 8
1542 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

Look for new hotels, were you trying to go to Cancun or something? Rocky Point and San Carlos in Sonora are actually affordable places and are close to Arizona so it’s not an axtremly long drive, downside is they’re at least an hour drive from the closest airport.

Puerto Vallarta it’s another option, I don’t know about air fares but since the hotel and food prices are in pesos, for someone paying in USDs the prices are extremly affordable. Good luck

Post # 9
2701 posts
Sugar bee

@Mrs. Gremmlin: Oh I am so jealous of your short drive! We’re porting out of Miami and we’re flying from Dallas.

Post # 11
2183 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011 - Florida Aquarium

@Mrs.ChubbyBunny: Wow! That’s a quite a haul! I hope you found a good deal for the flight. We were actually going to Disneymoon but found the cruise to be cheaper (and cooler!)

Post # 12
1090 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

oh yea, and I checked to Cancun, which I hear is beautiful

Post # 13
6394 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

Lol, we went to a bed and breakfast in Kentucky for about $300 total :). We barely left the room anyway (sleeping and just hanging out, I’m not being dirty!), so it was great just to have a comfy place to get away. I don’t think you have to spend a ton on the honeymoon to make it special, so $1,600 should be fine!

Post # 14
1077 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I live in SF, and I could stretch your budget a long way!  Assuming $600 goes into travel, here’s how I use up the rest over 1 week…

$150-200 Local transport.  No rental car while in the city.  There’s public transport everywhere you need to go.  Even taxis will be cheaper than renting and parking your car.  There is BART from the airport.  Rent a car for a day trip to wine country (and scope out places with free tours and tasting).  SF is a city of neighborhoods, and you could have a great week just foot touring.

$500  Don’t stay in a hotel downtown.  Consider the Red Vic Bed and Breakfast (original hippy era join run by an 80ish year old hippy artist) in the Haight.  ~$80/day, and way cooler than motel 6.  

http://www.redvic.com/red_vic_san_francisco_bed_and_breakfast/index.html

BART to Berkeley and take the Ferry to Sausalito for day trips.

$300 food and drink.  It’s the best anywhere.  The low-price ethnic places (Mission burritos, Richmond Chinese food, tenderloin Pakistani) are practically all delicious.  If you want to do a serious splurge consider getting brunch at the top of the mark of Sunday or for less of a splurge just go up there for drinks and dancing on Sat. night.

http://www.intercontinentalmarkhopkins.com/top_of_the_mark/

Edit…after writing all of that I realize that SF wasn’t your honeymoon plan.  I’ll leave the tour advice up though in case you decide that you want it to be (or someone else reading it does).

Post # 16
37 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2011

That budget is MORE than enough.  My fiance and I have been using VRBO.com for years to find amazing places to stay all over the world.  So far we’ve used in California wine country (Sonoma, Napa, and Mendocino), Santa Cruz, Big Sur, Mexico (Baja), Paris, and Southern France (Louberin).  There are amazing deals on there.  For even more reasonably priced options, you can check out Airbnb.com.  These are all people renting out their own homes, but don’t be sketched out.  All of the places were IMMACULATE.  They also tend to come with fully stocked kitchens (including spices, oil, etc), so if you want to stay in a few meals and cook, that’s a great way to save money too.

Ok, I just re-read my post, and I totally sound like a spam advertiser.  I have no affiliation whatsoever with the companies above, I’m just a crazy bargain hunter and a huge fan of the above sites :).

The topic ‘Is a $1600 honeymoon possible?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors