(Closed) Is a $2500 budget (including rings) possible??

posted 5 years ago in Money
Post # 16
5188 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

hsrp:  You’re gonna have to cut back. As all PPs have said, rentals are expensive. A hall would be a better way to go (I did it and they supplied everything except the food. We chose to use the caterer’s supplies but we had full access to the hall’s kitchen, table linens, serveware, cutlery, etc…) You can also count out pro photography. Think about decor absolutely last. Stay off Pinterest! 

Post # 17
102 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

We did a backyard wedding for my sister in the country, where prices are not astronomical. That said, The tent rental was $1,500. Tables, chairs, plates, cutlery rentals etc. cost another $1000. We did the food and drinks ourselves, and that cost another $1000 (not including alcohol). The wedding had around 90 people. To stick to your budget, you’ll most likely have to buy disposables. The tent is really your biggest cost, so it would help if you could find shelter somewhere. Do any of your parks have gazebos? Campsites often rent out covered areas for meals. For food, I would reccommend foods that you can cook ahead of time and warm up in a crockpot. We did pulled pork, swedish meatballs, and a veggie pasta dish. We cut flowers from the garden for our bouquets and used Christmas lights to decorate. Let me know if you want more ideas!

Post # 18
1318 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014 - NH

Find a state park that has the a covered seating area…you will pay such a small amount to get use of tables/covering!  If you want to PM what area you live in (county/state) or post it, I’m sure a lot of bees like myself can help you find some places in your budget.

Post # 19
3586 posts
Sugar bee

hsrp:  Since you are willing to cut a lot of stuff i am sure it can be done.

Post # 20
11 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2015

I’m doing mine under $2000!

• My engagement ring was ~$50, from Walmart. Synthetic sapphires for the heart of a claddagh ring, but that’s my style.
  • Our wedding bands will be no more than $100 each.
  • Guest list right at 100
  • Our venue is a park in my hometown (Hesston, KS), which will cost $70, for the day, the whole building, including tables and chairs and a kitchen.
  • My dress is $200+tax, from David’s Bridal. They have one that fits me almost perfectly, and my aunt is a seamstress.
  • I’m making my own veil.
  • DIY invitations (got them designed at Etsy for $25 because I never would have decided on a design doing it myself, will get them printed and mount them myself, hopefully no more than $150 more). 
  • He’s wearing his military blues. 🙂 
  • I just spent $50 on a lot of used fake flowers that are really pretty. Will probably need more though. 
  • A friend is making cupcakes. I did the math, they go for around $1 a piece and she’s not a pro yet, so I’m thinking just a round price of $200 for ~144 cupcakes and a regular cake for cutting and a tip. 
  • Doing my own makeup. 
  • Early afternoon wedding, so no real food. Just cupcakes and punch, maybe an ice cream bar or something like that (since it’s summer)
  • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  jmd1121.
Post # 21
3470 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

hsrp:  It’s totally doable, but I’d expect to go over budget, just because it’s hard to stick to any set budget regardless of how big or small it is. 

Instead of doing a sit down meal, you could do drinks and appetizers, which would save not only on the food, but on rentals since you wouldn’t need full place settings for everyone. 

Also, are you (your Fiance, or any of your parents) a member of a church? Sometimes they have tables and chairs that are available to borrow for congrigation members.  

Post # 22
3470 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

hsrp:  One option for disposable stuff that looks nice is bamboo, there’s tons of brands, but I’ve used these for parties in the past and they’re great! 

Post # 23
2509 posts
Sugar bee

It can be done! Ours is around that (including rings!)

-Rings (not engagement, only bands) $690

-Ceremony venue; Church + Officiant = $0. We’re members and the officiant is a family friend

-License; $45

-Dinner at a restaurant for about 25 people (we’re only inviting immediate family to the wedding) ~$1000 or less. No rental fee for the space, we’re just paying for the food/alcohol.

-My dress; $700

-His suit; $300

-Invitations; Vistaprint $10 for 20.

I’m doing my own hair and makeup, we have no bridal party or groomsmen, we didn’t do save the dates or anything. Really no decorations or anything. Maybe I’ll buy some candles and flowers but it’s not important to us.

I haven’t decided on my bouquet yet but you can always carry something else.

My budget may have went a little over $2500 but it’s doable.

Post # 24
99 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I think it’s doable but you have to be super budget-savvy. Prioritize what’s important to you and spend the bulk of your money there. If things aren’t important to you, don’t waste money on them. Not big on flowers? Don’t bother with them and spend the money on something you want more. Also, in regards to food, do you have a community (family, friends, guests) that live close and do potlucks often? That could be another way to save money. 

Post # 25
1983 posts
Buzzing bee

It’s definitely doable. My wedding was probably about 2500 not including the rings and the dress, but Darling Husband didn’t consider those things part of the actual budget. 

Anyway. Do you have friends and family willing to help? I think that’s the only way I was able to keep the budget so low. And our wedding was definitely cheap compared to other weddings, but it also could have been cheaper if we tried harder to search sales and stuff. It’s definitely doable though.

Post # 26
2178 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I would also suggest embracing the ‘down home’ feel and keeping that theme. If you try to fight it and go for a “black tie” event then its going to likely fail and looks thrown together but if you work with what you have it will be a success!

also don’t be afraid to talk to family and friends to see what you might be able to borrow – I know for instance my dad has two 8 foot long folding tables that seat about 10 each… as long as you picked them up and returned then he would let a family member or friend borrow them. And my uncle has like 10 folding chairs that they use for christmas dinner…. I bet you might have some people with the same! 

Post # 27
2969 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

hsrp:  I think you will regret not having a photographer, even if it isn’t a professional. I would call around to various high schools/colleges and see if someone is willing to take the pictures for their portfolio so you can pay them very little or nothing at all, and you can still have someone that will be designated to capture all your special moments. You can do an online album instead of doing prints and then have the prints you like printed out a few at a time at a later date.

If you are doing disposable plates, and silverware, I would consider ordering the ones that look like the real thing. They have the heavy duty clear plates that look like glass, and they have the silverware that is actually silver in color. We always use those for our holiday parties where we have too many people to bring out our regular settings and china. They are actually really pretty and look like the real deal in pictures.

Before you rent tables/chairs, I would call around and see if people you know/your family knows- have folding tables and chairs you can borrow and you can buy some linens at a dollar or discount store. This will be money you can spend elsewhere.

Depending on how your home is set up, you need to consider bathroom facilities and rain. I would keep money in the budget for a tent and possibly for a porta-potty or two (if you don’t have adequate bathroom facilities) and that way you don’t have a ton of people walking through your house.

I would have the bridal party help with setup, decor and making the food for the day of ahead of time (whatever can be made ahead of time). I would see if there is someone you could hire as household help for the day or atleast for a few hours. They can help with the cooking, cleaning, setup and serving. This will allow you and your guests to have a good time and not worry about all of it.

Also, if you choose to do a bar, I would make a cute sign and say that it is a DIY Beverage bar and leave everything set up for people to pour their own drinks. I went to a wedding where they had 1 keg, 1 boxed white wine, 1 boxed red wine, a bottle of vodka, a bottle of whiskey, orange and apple juice, sprite, coke, diet coke, water. (These were all things that they bought throughout their engagement rather than spending it all at once and the liquor were bottles they already had). It was simple, but it was really cute. If you don’t do alcohol, you can just do a simple soda/beverage bar with the same DIY concept.

Post # 28
34 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2015

MissJulianna:  buy your wedding bands from a pawn shop; buy a $99 dress from Davids bridal and have your Mom do the fitting/alterations. Rent his suit from mens warehouse. Dollartree flowers in a dollar tree vase with colored water. I bought roses for my bouquet, FH boutineer,  8 vases and flowers, florist tape and ribbon. Also bought tuelle rounds and candies for favors and printable wedding invites. Have either turkey and ham on buns or sloppy joes, potato salad, baked beans (in a crock pot) macaroni salad. Buy a cake from a grocery store and say its for a birthday party. You can also buy those silver pastic silverware and pretty decent plates, napkins, and serving utinsels and serving dishes from Dollartree too. I would definately check out your church for both the actual wedding and the fellowship hall for your reception. Or at the very least rental of the 6 table and 50 chairs youll need. Ps Dollartree also has pew bows 2 4 a buck. I did read that you wanted nicer plates etc. I heard that ikea has them really cheap too. Of course you have almost 2 years to save a little more too. Just for reference Im having 38 people. Marrying at my lutheran church, and a restaurant reception at a steak house. 2 people on each side for wedding party and our budget is 3500. Were under budget so far.

Post # 29
446 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

Definitely do-able but watch the rentals. What really catches you on those isn’t the price per piece, it’s the ridiculous delivery/pick-up fees and any set-up, etc. I think some others suggested trying parks, community centers, etc. Or your church to see how much it would cost to rent the space. Since it gives you a kitchen and typically supplies all plates, silverware, glasses, chairs, tables…it might be much much cheaper to go that route. 

The topic ‘Is a $2500 budget (including rings) possible??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors