(Closed) Is a 6:30 Ceremony too late?

posted 7 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 3
1684 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Nope not too late at all. Most people will look at the invitation and see 6pm, and if they need to eat they’ll just have a snack before the ceremony. And its not like you’re not offering cocktails/appetizers before dinner either. I’m pretty sure adults can wait forty minutes for food.

Post # 4
1851 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I don’t think it’s too late at all. I think you should make people aware of the schedule though, just so they’re prepared to wait a little later than usual for dinner (especially the older folks like my grandparents who eat at 5:30 normally lol). And for the little ones just make sure that you bring some snacks so they don’t get grouchy!

Post # 5
9056 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

Are you planning to do major decorating?  If the church already has good bones, it may be very quick to just do simple decoration and you could push it back to 5:30.  We only did a half hour of setup for our wedding. 

That said, I don’t think 6pm is that late either.  If people are aware that dinner won’t be until 8, most adults are able to adjust their meal schedule to accomodate a later dinner.

Post # 6
1161 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

That would be on the late-ish side for us…but we usually get up at 4am, so we aren’t typical.

If people think it’s too late for a Sunday dinner, they will either take off the next day from work, or leave the reception early, so honestly I wouldn’t worry about it too much, and I definitely wouldn’t find a new church because of it!

Post # 7
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

Nope. I did mine under the same exact time line! We had tons of food at the cocktail hour too so there were no issues.

Post # 8
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Why can’t dinner be served at 7:30 immediately after the cocktail hour?

I don’t think 8 is too late as long as your cocktail apps are fairly substantial.

Also, i’d make sure all your portraits are done before your ceremony if you want it to start so late. You won’t have much light afterwards.

Post # 9
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

On another note at 4:30pm we bought are only intended children, the flower girl and the ring bearer, happy meals. So that didn’t matter either.

Post # 10
2463 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

not too late at all! our ceremony was really late–7:30 ceremony, with an 8:30-9:30 cocktail hour with hors d’oevres and dinner at 9:30! super late, but it had to be because of the rabbi’s restrictions on not getting married before sunset since it was a Saturday/shabbat. but none of our guests complained (to us at least)–we just made sure to tell them to eat a late lunch 😉

also we were married aug 7th of this year–we’re sort of date twins 😉

Post # 11
9029 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

It really depends on how late you want the guests to stay. If most guests have to work on monday, they may not want to stay and party late on sunday night.

Post # 12
1890 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I’m also doing that same timeline (only we’re having the ceremony at the reception venue, and the ceremony is set for 6:30 PM with cocktail hour 7-8 and reception/dinner from 8-12).  I don’t think it’s too late at all, especially since you’re doing a cocktail hour and I’m guessing there will be plenty of hors d’oeuvres.

Post # 13
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@crayfish: You can’t serve it right away. People need to find their seats, and then there’s introductions, and your first dance. Maybe even specialty dances like father/bride and groom/mother. Most venues won’t run around with plates during these moments

Post # 15
294 posts
Helper bee

our wedding was much later than that.  ceremony started at 7:30, CH from 8 – 9:15, and I don’t think dinner was served until around 10pm.  no one complained at all – that’s pretty typical in my area for jewish weddings/sat night.

The topic ‘Is a 6:30 Ceremony too late?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors