Is a fitted satin wedding dress outdated for 2017?

posted 3 years ago in Dress
  • poll:
  • Post # 2
    661 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2017

ewalker :  do you have any pictures of the dresses you tried on?

Post # 3
    4270 posts
    Honey bee

Do you like it?  Then pick it.

Everything comes back around.  Fashion goes in fits and starts and tends to cycle around every 20 or 30 years.  Brown lipstick and crop tops from the 90s are now back with a vengeance.  All of those styles from the 70s came back about 10 years ago and the 80s about five years ago.  I certainly think certain things should fade and never come back (like those awful veils/headpieces that go around the forehead like an 80’s jazzercise workout video headband – yet I’ve seen a couple people with photos of those in the last year).  5 years from now people may eschew lace saying it reminds them of their grandmother’s tablecloth and then another 15 years after that it’ll be all the rage again.  If it’s something you like and it makes you happy wearing it, then that should be what you pick.

Post # 4
    568 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2016

Lace lace lace…. if you want to look like everyone else! 

Choose what you love and what makes you feel beautiful.  Fashions change.  No matter what you choose, you’ll likely look at it in 20 years and wonder WTH 🙂 

Post # 5
    543 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2017

Satin is classic!  I am wearing a fitted satin dress with a lace illusion back.  It is timeless with a little twist.  Everyone is in lace right now…wear what makes you feel like you!  I tried a million lace dresses because I was fixated on it – but satin just worked on me!

Post # 6
    469 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2017

My dress is satin, and it’s classic, not outdated at all (it’s actually from a fall 2016 collection).  I found most lace dresses matronly on me.  Who cares about what others think is in fashion or not in fashion right now, when you look back at your wedding photos in 20 years will that matter? Pick the dress you love.

Post # 7
    113 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2018 - Historic Mansion

It’s your wedding. If you like it then go with it. 

Post # 8
    1669 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2017

My gown is satin. 

Funnily enough the latest bridal magazine I bought has mainly satin gowns in it and my mom commented that I’m ahead of trend haha 

Go with whatever makes you happiest 

Post # 9
    602 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

I don’t think so. I wore an all satin mermaid just a few months ago. Lace is all the rage right now. It’s not wrong to be trendy if you wish, but in the end wear what makes you feel beautiful.

Post # 10
    2352 posts
    Buzzing bee

ewalker :   I’m not a fan of satin. It reminds me of the 80s.

However, if that’s what you like and you look good in it..then do it. 

Post # 11
    1414 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2016

I wore a satin mermaid for my November wedding that just passed – a 7 year old dress I bought from a sample shop. I got tons of compliments and felt awesome in it. Get what YOU love. 

Post # 12
    1288 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2016 - Painswick Church and the Falcon Hotel

I personally don’t like lace and went for satin   Pick whatever you feel best in! 

Post # 13
    76 posts
    Worker bee

Your wedding day is about looking and FEELING beautiful!  It’s not about trends. Wear a dress that makes you look and feel beautiful!!!  However if you like lace and find a lace dress you feel beautiful in then by all means, but you’ll regret wearing a dress just because it’s the current look or trend that you’re not 100% in love with!

Post # 15
    Hostess
    11051 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

ewalker : It can depend on the person as it probably just doesn’t suit some people like another material won’t suit the next person. I don’t feel it’s outdated at all, the dress you’re considering is very elegant, classic and timeless, so I say go for it. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors