(Closed) Is a late Friday night Wedding with Light Refreshments and no Dinner Okay?

posted 9 years ago in Reception
  • poll: Is it ok to have a 8pm Saturday wedding with hors d'oeuvres & Drinks only?
    YES : (87 votes)
    45 %
    NO : (106 votes)
    55 %
  • Post # 77
    2426 posts
    Buzzing bee

I personally don’t like this idea but it seems like you’ve already made up your mind.

Btw, when you start checking on prices you’ll find that unless you are cooking the food yourself, appetizer heavy could be more expensive.

Post # 78
    329 posts
    Helper bee

I think if you do it Saturday and let your guests know it will just be appetizers you will be fine. 

@gelaine22:  I like your list of appetizers. I would be worried about not providing enough food and having an open bar. 7:30 on gives a lot of time for alcohol on potentially empty stomachs. 

Post # 79
    632 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

@Barbiestylez:  Yes to 8pm, but I would say no earlier than that. I would also recommend that there are a lot of appetisers. Keep in mind that if you do this lots of people will probably leave earlier than you’d like them to. 

Post # 80
    1202 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

I used to like the “cocktail reception” idea as it’s called around here but you REALLY have to know your crowd. DFs dad came home from a similar wedding and was complaining about the lack of dinner. I’m not a big eater and while that would be good for me, I know a lot of men who would be sooo hungry.

Post # 81
    5879 posts
    Bee Keeper

@LittleCricket:  Also, please consider that while the guests attend the wedding ceremony to support you and your groom, typically the reception is a time for the couple to thank and support the guests. In your excitement to plan your day, remember to take their comfort and well-being into consideration as well as your own preferences. While not having a meal is probably an etiquette faux pas, it’s not nearly as problematic as having hungry guests.

Im not fan of no dinner but clearly you mind is already made up.

Post # 84
    1202 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

@Barbiestylez:  Oh I know what you mean. My taste in food is pretty basic. But BK and KFC serve dinner. I just mean make sure you have a good amount of food OR specify that there will just be a snack type spread on the invitation. A few meatballs does not mean a dinner size serving for my Fiance even though it would for me. Although, to be honest, he’d just suck it up and never say a word.  

I think it’s good that you’re including a meat station 

Post # 85
    1471 posts
    Bumble bee

@Barbiestylez:  Definitely think it’s a great idea especially since you are adding variety. For me personally I tend to be able to fill up pretty quickly just by munching away on different snacks. My SO and I go to The Melting Pot (fondue) and we are stuffed after splitting one pot of cheese with all of the bread, veggies, etc. 

Post # 86
    2187 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

Our ceremony is on a Friday evening, at 7 PM. By 7:15, guests will be directed ito the nearby conference center where we are having light refreshments, cake, punch, coffee and tea. Our simple reception will be over by 9PM. However we are having a huge, casual pig roast the day after.

Post # 87
    1563 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2009

Make sure your invites clearly indicate “Light appetizers and dancing to follow” on the invite.

My husband and I just drove 5 hours last weekend for a Friday wedding, and we would not have eaten dinner if it wasn’t served at the reception. If they weren’t serving an actual meal, we needed to know so we could’ve eaten and shown up late (we arrived just as the ceremony was starting).

My parents once drove 6 hours for a wedding on a Friday my dad was a groomsman in. They barely made it in time, and had not eaten ALL day in order to make it on time. They stayed late at the reception, and were absolutely starving after since they had just snacked on app plates all evening. However, they were in a small town and absolutely everything — even the fast-food joints — were closed for the night. They had to try to make a “meal” out of what they could find in the hotel vending machines! It completely ruined their trip. 

Post # 88
    5191 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

I said “no” and here’s my thought process. So it starts at 7:30. Assuming a 45 minute travel time to the venue (everything is at least 1:15 from where I live, so 45 minutes is probably average) and the need to get there at least 20 minute prior to start time, that means I am leaving my house at 6:15. I need at least an hour and a half to do hair, make-up, and outfit. So I start getting ready at 4:45. So I am eating my meal at 4:15 and you want me to start drinking at 8pm with only light snacks. I am going to be very drunk very quickly on that timeline. And I’m in bed by 11 at the latest, so I’m leaving at 10:15. Which means you are spending a lot of money to rent a venue, pay a DJ, etc. when I’m leaving, very drunk and hungry, after only 2 hours.

Post # 89
    31 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: July 2015

That is my favorite time of day! I’ve been considering having my wedding later in the day as well, just for natural lighting. 🙂 Go for it!

Post # 90
    3949 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

You need heavy app’s  for friday night. some people won’t  be able to eat before your celebration and if they hit the bar …. heavy apps and lots of dancing. 

We had our wedding ceremoney from 6:30-7pm and dinner and dancing till 11:00.  I wo uld push heavy apps. 

Post # 91
    94 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: February 2015

Do not, I repeat… DO NOT state on your invite that you are having apps if you are just having a fruit and meat tray from Costco. Those are not apps, it’s just common courtesy.. I would never invite someone to ANYTHING if there was not at least something to nibble on. I’d be expecting at least some hot apps, enough for all your guests (use a calculator online), if I was going to spend a Friday night celebrating your marriage. You don’t want to starve your guests… Hicks get hungry too. lol!!! 

The topic ‘Is a late Friday night Wedding with Light Refreshments and no Dinner Okay?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors