(Closed) Is Cake Necessary?

posted 7 years ago in Food
  • poll: Is Having A Wedding Cake Important?
    Yes : (52 votes)
    50 %
    No : (46 votes)
    44 %
    Other (Explain Below) : (6 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 32
    Bee
    1835 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2012 - Oak Tree Manor

By The Way: We hired an ice cream truck to serve 150 guests for $300. You’d be surprised how many options there are out there if you decide not to go with cake.

Post # 33
    295 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

Although I adore pie above all desserts (and sour cherry pie in season?  ooWEE), I’m embracing the tradition of a traditional ornate wedding cake.  I’m marrying my true love (at a time in my life where I had thought that the marriage boat had long left port), so aw what the hell…

I can have cherry pie any time I want.  But I figure I have one shot at wedding cake.  🙂

As a matter of fact, we finalized our order with the Sugar Flower Cake Shop this afternoon.  A simple tiered cake, but adorned their hand painted gum paste garden roses, orchids, japanese lanterns etc.

Squee.

Post # 34
    2076 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2014 - British Columbia

View original reply
    @lilcafe:  Love the gumpaste flowers on the cake! So gorgeous! 

View original reply
    @ellie-b:  Yes, wedding couture cakes are expensive — mostly because of how expensive the ingredients already are (a bucket of fondant is about $25; if quality chocolates are used, that’s gonna add up!) and how much bakers charge for their time (typically $30/hr). Finding the exact colour(s) the bride/groom likes on a cake is challenging.

View original reply
    @HopefulSim:  I love your Pinterest cake inspiration. It would work, but all 3 cakes appear to be fondant based. (Although it is completely possible to smoothen out buttercream to look like fondant) The bow would be fondant. The sides of the top cake would be crimped fondant strips. Then, the pearls of the bottom cake can be piped using butter-cream. Which part of NZ are you in? I could ask a hometown friend who is studying in NZ to be a wedding coordinator to see if there are any bakeries that can do it for reasonable prices.

If budget is of a concern & you wanted to have a beautiful cake for show, you could get a dummy cake (made out of styrofoam) decorated in fondant for cutting. I’ve seen it at a wedding where a dummy was used for the cake cutting and the B & G served cupcakes. The styro-cake would make a lovely keepsake.

Post # 35
    230 posts
    Helper bee

I’m a baker….and I say, it’s not necessary. Nice, yes but it’s an option (sometimes quite expensive). I do think, however that people associate the dress and the cake with the word “wedding”. I would just make sure that there is a desert course if you were not serving cake. 🙂

Post # 36
    2868 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

I think its good to at least have some type of dessert.  And you need to consider how much the tradition of cutting the cake means to you.  We are having  a three-tier cake, but my mom is making it so it just costs the amount of ingredients.  Maybe you know someone who could do that?  If not, people often do pie, or cupcakes, or even just dessert tables.

Post # 37
    1900 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

We were fully intending to go without cake because of the price and because it seemed a little pointless given all the sweet things we were serving during the reception. When Mother-In-Law heard we weren’t having one, however, she lost it and insisted on buying us one. So we got a free cake!

Post # 38
    5063 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: April 2014

My chief bm is making our cutting cake and cupcakes. Cutting cake on the trip cc’s on the bottom and I’m buying a Star Wars groom’s cake as a surprise for my new DH. 

Post # 39
    5870 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: April 2013

My sister didn’t have a cake because she wanted to skip the cake cutting moment.  Before the wedding it was quite the drama – a whole bunch of people were up in arms amout it!  BUT, durign the wedding NO ONE noticed!  It was totally fine, skip the cake.  

I assume you’ll have other desert that will be served as a part of your catering package?  That’ll do if you don’t want the cake cutting moment.

Post # 40
    71 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

Honestly – just do whats best by you and Fiance. If thats NOT to break your budget by forking out $300+ for a cake, then thats ok. So many people are so willing to tell you “well its what I would EXPECT at a wedding”….  none of these people will actually be at your wedding, so they can EXPECT away. Personally, cake is a minor detail. No one will remember you didnt have a cake.

Post # 41
    1105 posts
    Bumble bee

It is necessary because it is so delicious 😛 Seriously it’s the moment I’m most looking forward to (other than getting married) – stuffing my face with scrumptious cake *drool*.

Post # 42
    1114 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

I don’t think cake is necessary, but I couldn’t imagine not having one at our wedding.

My mum made our cake and all the sugarpaste flowers for it.  It’s a traditional English fruit cake, because for one thing we love fruit cake (and my mum’s are super moist and very alcoholic!) and for another it meant that she could bake it months in advance, and then it was just the decoration to be done close to the day.  We have quite a lot left, but the top tier will keep for years (doesn’t need to be frozen) and we’ll be able to eat the bottom tier for the next few weeks/months without fear of having to eat it as quickly as possible.

Mum was really worried about it but I really think she surpassed herself – it was absolutely beautiful and tastes divine!  I didn’t see it until the day as she wanted to keep it a surprise and I was so happy with it Smile

Post # 43
    1218 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

If I had a larger budget, I definitely would have had a cake. However, our venue offered a really good price on cupcakes + lolly buffet with favours for guests so we went with that. All of our cupcakes were eaten so I’d say they were a hit!

We actually did have DH’s brother and his then-girlfriend offer to buy us a cake as our present, but I was like, let’s not count on that one because I doubt it will happen. Sure enough, the girlfriend dumped my Brother-In-Law and that did not eventuate.

The topic ‘Is Cake Necessary?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors