(Closed) Is FIT & FLARE same as trumpet or mermaid?

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
2539 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I dont think so… when i hear “A line” i think straight up and down.

Post # 5
4150 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

No – they all have a similar shape but the difference is in where the dress flares (or stops being fitted).  The fit and flare is the highest, so it flares out around the hip.  The trumpet flares a bit lower on the thigh, and the mermaid is the lowest, which is fitted to about the knee.

Post # 6
38 posts
Newbee

I wouldn’t go off the name alone as many people call the same thing by different names.  I’ve heard fit and flare mermaids, fit and flare trumpets and fit and flares that look like modified A-line which I think is most correct.  Many people call trumpets mermaids, which technically is incorrect but the names are becoming so interchangeable.  Do you have a photo?

Post # 7
4150 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@bump:  yes, fit and flare is closer to trumpet and those terms are often used interchangeably, even though there is actually a technical difference (see my last post).  Mermaid is the one that flares the lowest, so it usually has the most dramatic shape.

Post # 8
301 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

All three are fitted around the waist and hips, but fit & flares flare just below the hips, trumpets flare around mid-thigh, and mermaids flare around the knee or lower.

The difference is a question of where the ‘fit’ stops and the ‘flare’ begins Wink

Post # 10
301 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@bump:  I’d consider yours fit & flare, but others may have differing opinions…

Post # 11
641 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

Id say fit and flare also..

Post # 12
768 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

It defintely looks like fit n flare

Post # 13
5199 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2010

Yeah, the name says little. Mine was sold as a “modified” trumpet, but really, not sure what that means as it started to flare out at upper to mid thigh with a second small flare lower down. 

Post # 14
8424 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

Yours is more fit and flare

Post # 16
641 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@bump:  what is the design of your dress by the way? so pretty!

The topic ‘Is FIT & FLARE same as trumpet or mermaid?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors