(Closed) Is It Crazy to Have Chicken and Turkey as the Meal Options?

posted 8 years ago in Food
  • poll: Is it crazy to have chicken parmesan and roasted turkey be the two meal options?
    No - it is no extra cost to you and they are the best two entrees on the menu. : (244 votes)
    66 %
    Yes - you should pay the extra $300 for people to have the beef option even if it isn't that good. : (96 votes)
    26 %
    Other (explain) : (30 votes)
    8 %
  • Post # 17
    3885 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

If you don’t like the beef, then don’t offer it; I personally would not offer the turkey, though, for a couple of reasons. First, it is very hard for a caterer to put out large quantities of roasted turkey that isn’t dry as a bone. It’s just not a meat known for holding its juices. Remember that when you go for your tasting, they make exactly one portion and serve it immediately. When serving the full group, some of that turkey is going to sit around for a very long time before it hits the table, and it might not end up being very nice.

I also don’t think of roasted turkey as a usual celebration-type dinner; to me, that’s Thanksgiving dinner and it just seems a bit awkward at a wedding reception.

Can the venue do a pasta dish to be the second choice?

Post # 18
    6354 posts
    Bee Keeper

Those are both very similar. I would choose one of those poultry dishes, and something else. Seafood maybe if there are no red meat dishes (fair warning though, many men prefer red meat and may be disappointed. You’re not going to get a good reflection of their opinions on weddingbee).

Having both options be bird dishes is not much of a choice for your guests.

Post # 19
    428 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

I’d make sure to describe them both really well on the menu so people know they’re two different options. As far as anyone being picky when you’re giving them a free meal… let them be! There’s always two good options: Take it or leave it!

Post # 20
    9106 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

@kkish3:  I would never request roast turkey for a wedding, and would think it was odd if the choices were both poultry. Not in a judgy “what is wrong with them?!” way, but more like “hm, wonder why they went this route…?” If you can swing the extra money, I’d try to include the beef. There are people who prefer mediocre steak over perfectly good poultry any day. Or as other posters have suggested, a seafood option would be good too. If the money is just not there though, I’m the last person who would encourage someone to go over budget. 

Post # 21
    718 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I think the chicken and turkey are a bit repetitive, maybe instead of beef could you have a fish dish?

Post # 23
    1293 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2018

@kkish3:  I only eat chicken or turkey, so I’d be fine. My Fiance on the other hand would be a very grumpy man. Are you a beef eater? Maybe you just didn’t like it because it isn’t your thing? I know a lot of people would be expecting a chicken/beef choice, and would be disappointed without one. Turkey is not wedding-y. It makes you tired and drowsy, especially mixed with wine. For $300, it’s worth it. One thing people always remember from a wedding is the food.

Post # 24
    3051 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2015

I personally wouldn’t mind in the least. But to me, it’s a know your crowd scenario. My friends and family would more than likely not be bothered if there wasn’t a beef option (esp if I spread the word around that the beef wasn’t very good lol) but some people may be more traditional. I still don’t think paying extra for a not good dish is worth it though

Post # 25
    2609 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014 - Madison, WI

I think it’s fine. I agree at first I thought it was odd but when you explained that the dishes will be prepared differently, then it made a lot of sense. I figure, you are giving people a free meal! Offer them the best you can afford and be happy.

I have been to weddings with NO options! Last one was chicken or…chicken! Now, I think upon request a veggie option could have been handled but my chicken was delish! No complaints about it.

Another wedding, was vegitarian ONLY. There were 2 choices of dishes but we did NOT get to choose! It just alternated every other person and you were supposed to swap plates with someone if you wanted too! The bride claimed this was an AUS tradition she was bringing over to the US. Again, the food was great and no one really complained.

I think given my experiance it’s great just to be given a choice! LOL

Post # 26
    1936 posts
    Buzzing bee

is there any other meal option besides chicke or turkey included? pork? salmon? even a veg option would be nice.

Post # 27
    1022 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

@kkish3:  if the beef is bad, don’t offer it. but I would think it odd to be offered only poultry. if you have a vege option, then I’d pick one of the poultry and just offer those.

Post # 28
    3 posts
    Wannabee
    • Wedding: September 2013

Honestly, my fiancee and I went with Jeffrey Miller Caterers because they DON’T serve traditional wedding food. At our tasting, the best thing we had was brisket! (When’s the last time you saw that at a sit-down wedding?) But it was absolutely delicious, so I think we’re going to put that on our menu even though it’s not your “typical” beef. I think people just want good food—whether it’s beef, chicken, turkey, or veg. Go with what tastes best, and people won’t complain.

Post # 29
    1423 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2009

You are doing your guests a favor by forcing them to pick from the best two options.  Who cares if they are two poultry dishes?  I’ve been to weddings with no option, only chicken.

Post # 30
    2440 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

I say go for the chicken and turkey options.  We didn’t serve beef at our wedding and nobody complained about it.  We offered a chicken dish and a mushroom and artichoke lasagna and people thought the food was good.

Post # 31
    139 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

If it’s bad why let guests pick it and not like it too? Give them good options and they’ll have a better time. 

The topic ‘Is It Crazy to Have Chicken and Turkey as the Meal Options?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors