(Closed) Is it normal for an officiant to charge $800-$1000??

posted 7 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 3
4137 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

that doesn’t sound out of line for ny. have you shopped around?

Post # 4
4771 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Seems a bit much.  not sure how it works, can’t you get a civil servant?

Post # 6
1091 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2018 - Oakland Manor

@sagbride: do you have a friend who is spiritual who could do it for you?  A minister or Rabbi will probably charge more because it is their job/livelihood vs someone who is an officiant on the side. I am performing the ceremony for two of my friends in May, and friends of friends in October – I’m so excited for them all! having written the May ceremony, it is a fair amount of time that I have invested in it. Discussions with the couple prior to writing the draft, research, writing it all out, revising it, submitting the first draft to them… and we’re only at the first draft stage! So… for me, it’s been a bit of an investment of my time (but, obviously worth it). 

Our officiant was about $300-$350… I don’t remember exactly… I found her on wedding wire though, have you checked there?

Post # 7
3564 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I paid $950 for our rabbi :/ It was a lot, but it was worth it to find a rabbi who would let us customize our ceremony–AND do a friday night wedding!

Post # 8
1124 posts
Bumble bee

Woah. An officiant in Chicago runs about 200-450$. 2000 is more than half our budget!

Post # 9
43 posts
Newbee

The cantor we used in the DC area was $700. One rabbi we talked to who does a lot of interfaith up and down the east coast (a lot in NY/LI) was $900. But he was a really big jerk, so it was an easy choice for us. Our cantor was amazing.

Post # 10
4547 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

That seems really expensive. Our minister was $300.

Post # 11
5494 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2011

I feel your pain.  We’ve met with 3 Rabbis.  The cheapest was $800.  The priciest was $1500.  We think it’s way too much and are thus continuing our search.

Post # 13
40 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2011

our minister is charging $200

Post # 14
463 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

here in NM its usually just a donation to the church!!!!!!!!

Post # 15
1052 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

Our rabbi normally charges 1200 ๐Ÿ™

Post # 16
302 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Wow, that does sound like a lot.  I feel like it should be a couple hundred, tops.  Not sure about interfaith though, maybe it’s a niche so they can charge more? 

The topic ‘Is it normal for an officiant to charge $800-$1000??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors