(Closed) Is it possible to have a $2K wedding for 120 people?!

posted 9 years ago in Money
  • poll: What would you do with your $2K budget?

Cut corners on the wedding and settle for less than classy

go to the Justice of the Peace and have a Vow renewal when you could afford it.

Have an intimate ceremony and use the rest of the money to got on a honeymoon.

none of the above (let me know your suggestions!)

• Post # 17
    4090 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

I thought that “receiving” your guests was like the #1 etiquette rule when having guests.  It’s how you thank them for witnessing your wedding.

Post # 18
    1731 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

Where doing a wedding for around 100 people for 3K or less but we have a lot of free things heres my very rough budget:

Picked a photographer.  We’re trying to get as many things for free as possible and so far it seems to be working (I have a huge eager to help family):

$0 – Venue (grandma’s church)

$ 1000 – Food (We are buying it and making it ourselves with help from family I’m probably over estimating on this but I’m also including any plastic ware we have to buy)

$ 150 – Or whatever an Ipod docking station costs, looks like we are going with an Ipod, and my mom’s students to play live at the ceremony

$ 530 – Photography (8 hours, 2 photographers, minimal editing, no prints/albums)

$ 200 – Centerpieces and Flowers (just bouquet and singles, mom gets discount for making carnation leis and using the same florist)

$  0 – Cake (uncle is pastry chef)

$  0 – Officiant (grandmother)

$  500 – Miscellaneous Other stuff

$  160 Rings (His, and the resize for my heirloom)

$ 0 – Dress (Using mom’s, any alternations will obviously cost money)

$ 0 – Groom Tux (With 4 or 5 groomsmen rental dending on store)

$ 200 – STD and Invites postage plus cost of paper to print them (DIY)

$2740 – TOTAL

Haven’t dreamt up gifts for Bridesmaid or Best Man or Groomsmen yet so that falls under misc so do alterations 

In your case you just have to get creative.  I’m sure it can be done if your resourceful. 🙂

Post # 20
    4090 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

@KTGoots:  That sounds lovely! 

Post # 21
    1002 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

If the girls already have their dresses, they need to be included. Have them, family, and very close friends. Make it small and classy. Skip decorations- they’re unnessary. Use an iPod (yours or someone else’s) as your DJs. Have a cake & champagne reception or do nice appetizers. Have it at an off hour, off day, or off season… or all of the above, to save money. There’s no reason to go in to debt or significantly delay your lives together. Love it’s what’s important, and you’ve already got that, so go get married!

Post # 22
    15 posts
    Newbee

I’m glad you decided to do a small intimate wedding. My wedding’s little too!

Post # 23
    12 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I’m having a wedding with about 40 guests for around $1,500. Granted things are probably cheaper here but this is how I did it. I actually rented a cabin in the mountains for the weekend so I can have everything in one place plus spend time with out of state family for the weekend. I decided not to do a DJ and just made playlists on my laptop. Each playlist is a section of the wedding (precessional, recessional, cake cutting, 1st dance, etc) that way the person who is handling the music just has to press play and stop. Plus iTunes makes it SUPER easy to be your own DJ! I’m using sheets as the table covers instead of linens, (looks nicer than you would think), doing a lunch reception from a local Grocery Store, and doing a lot of DIY. We’re basically having a whole weekend wedding for $2k. Not sure how many guests you’re having but it is definitely possible without looking like a trashy thrown together affair! 

Post # 24
    466 posts
    Helper bee

I would have an intimate ceremony and reception as some of the PP suggested.

You could have a non typical reception where you just served snacks and appetizers and have your cake for desert . Depending on the size you could book a cheap restautrant ahd have them offer a discount as it will be a group .

I see that your wedding is in the summer so you could consider having the reception at a beautiful park if allowed

For the rings you can consider non traditional wedding rings 

This link has loads of great tips for weddings on a budget and also very affordable wedding rings for around $100 in all kinds of metals even Gold.

http://budgetbrides.tumblr.com/

The topic ‘Is it possible to have a $2K wedding for 120 people?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors