Is it "safe" to book 2021 wedding venues?

posted 3 months ago in Venue
Post # 16
2159 posts
Buzzing bee

Personally, I think it’s going to be quite awhile before people are gathering in big groups, dancing, sitting 8-10 to a table.  I’m sorry about everyone in this position but if it were me I think I would be planning an elopement or very small wedding 🙁

Post # 17
7265 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

Wedding vendor here, I just booked a 2021 couple last week! I would say it would depend a lot on your venue. I would reach out to them and talk. If it’s a venue where lots of couples are straight up cancelling and having to refund? Yeah I’d be hesitant. BUT, I think you’ll find most vendors across the board have our couples primarily rescheduling NOT cancelling. So money is still somewhat coming in.

Post # 18
478 posts
Helper bee

Leave 2021 for us 2020 brides!! Haha no but seriously, I am assuming you are relatively newly engaged? If I were, I would not rush to plan a wedding right now. You are a lucky one who can wait it out a little (I assume, but perhaps there are other factors). Being engaged and planning a wedding is the best; do it when you can enjoy it!

Post # 20
2071 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2020

View original reply
Ellak30 :  2022 is over 19 months away, not quite a little wait saddly. 

Post # 21
478 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
cc33ammy :  believe me, I’m going on 24 months as of now, if not close to 30. However, I did read something when I first got engaged that was like enjoy it bc it is a brief chapter in your life and you can really soak it in. And that stuck with me and has been a little encouraging when I am dealing with this.

Post # 22
993 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2019

View original reply
Ellak30 :  ha, I’m jealous of people who love being engaged. I didn’t particularly enjoy it…I was too antsy to actually get married. We had a short (6 month) engagement and I really admire the patience of people who manage a 2-3 year engagement.

To answer the original question, I’d also recommend just doing something tiny/eloping ASAP unless you’re so into the traditional wedding that you’re willing to wait 2-3+ years for it. Even if we get a vaccine in spring/summer 2021, it’ll take quite awhile for everyone to get vaccinated, and a lot of folks will still be reeling financially. 

Post # 23
5397 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
mobean :  Oh I missed that. That’s pretty awful. Omg. 

Post # 24
387 posts
Helper bee

If your venue isn’t primarily a wedding venue, I think it would be safe to book. Outdoor weddings at national parks, beaches etc. should be fine. 

We got married at our city’s town hall (not a town hall wedding, they just have beautiful rooms for hire) and I would be shocked if they went out of business because they have to keep on running the city. I’d also be surprised if museums shut down permanently – we looked at some of these as venues too.

Post # 25
1075 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I’d wait until you’re closer to your date as i feel a lot of places are going to go bankrupt.   We’ve already had a few restaurants here have to close down permanently and I’m sure we’ll be seeing more of that for other businesses as well.  

Post # 26
34 posts
Newbee

View original reply
meg92 :  ha! Having my own garden as the wedding venue solves many problems right now, one being lack of availability for venues in the summer of 2021, then there is the worry of 2021 still not being corona-free, so in that case no cancellation costs should we need to reschedule. I am planning to get catering for lunch, and a barbecue for the evening, so not many things to organise plus low cost. We will get a family friend vicar who will do the religious blessing and that’s pretty much it in terms of planning. Oh I will buy/make a flower ‘altar’ (?) for the blessing and photos, hire some chairs and do the floral decorations myself as I am creative and always make my own flower arrangements, Christmas wreaths etc.

Post # 27
147 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2021

I AM going to get married in 2021, it’s going to be a celebration, it’s going to be nice. But maybe it will not go exactly as I had envisioned and that’s okay. 

I’m worried because I had already planned an extremely small wedding. I thought we’d have no problem booking venues because most people either have big weddings or just elope, so there wouldn’t be much competition for dates and locations. Now I’m thinking there will be a lot ore competition because everyone will be switching to having really tiny weddings. 

Post # 28
24 posts
Newbee

View original reply
muppetbaby :  YES! FH and I are in the same boat! We want to find a venue sooner rather than later for our very small wedding, keeping in mind the financial impacts of COVID. 

Post # 29
70 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2021 - Walt Disney World

We are booking our May 2021 wedding as soon as the 12 month mark hits and our venue allows us too. Like PP posters have said if some guests elect not to attend we understand but we’ve had people reaching out to us and our parents to ask about the date and reaffirm they will be there. No one can predict the further, even the best scientists will tell you that their data models are constantly changing. Even without a pandemic there are still “acts of god” that could derail plans set a year from now. What will be will be and we just have to meet it when it comes. 

Post # 30
147 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2021

View original reply
meg92 :  
View original reply
Allycat00091 :  Yes, I think it will be necessary. Mine is also May 2021, I am going to talk to Fiance about going ahead and trying to decide on a venue despite the circumstances (even if that means we won’t be able to visit but we’ll see in the coming weeks). I don’t want to take a chance. This probably means restaurants and other fragile businesses are out of the running. Oh well. We will concentrate on venues that are more like institutions that are more likely to still be in operation by next year. Good luck ladies (or gents)! 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors