(Closed) Is it tacky to have pro invites & DIY other?

posted 7 years ago in Paper
  • poll: Should everything be professionally done or can I mix it up?
    All professional or it won't be consistant enough : (3 votes)
    17 %
    Mixed professional and DIY is okay : (15 votes)
    83 %
    Other (thoughts below) : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    1872 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: February 2011

Tacky? No. Tacky to me means you did something that reasonably offends someone else.

It will probably look inconsistent, though, unless you can replicate the font and/or color. Are you sure that the invitation alone is that much cheaper than the suite?

If you do decide to DIY it, I reocmmend that you don’t attempt to fully replicate the design. I’d just try to get the font or one that’s complimentary and do just text without any design elements. If you can’t get the main color to match, then either get as close as you can to the secondary color (if there is one), or if your invite is say, aqua and white, if you’re having another color in your wedding theme like red, then go with that, or simple black will be fine. Unless you get extremely close to the shade that the printer uses, if it’s a little off it’ll look jarring to the eye. THere’s sort of a “uncanny valley” with these kinds of things…(uncanny valley refers to in virtual reality and robotics when an artificial replica looks so close to human, but not quite, that it actually freaks us out–we want either the real thing or assuredly fake. That’s my rule of thumb for DIY-meets-pro too!)

Post # 5
    149 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

We are doing something similar and working very closely with our letterpresser because I wanted a more elegant professional feel and Mr. really wanted a more DIY/vintage/mix-match so we are going both.  I am also luck enough to have a bridesmaid who is an event designer so she can print professional quality stationery for free! (I just have to pay for supplies) So first we decided the inserts and we are having our professional pieces matched to our inserts to make sure the fonts, color, paper, and designs are all consistent.

Hope that helps!

Post # 6
    4137 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

i’ll probably add moo cards with our website to the invitation suite — not quite diy, but much more cost-effective than using another insert card.

The topic ‘Is it tacky to have pro invites & DIY other?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors