Is it too early to send save the dates for 2022??

posted 4 months ago in Etiquette
Post # 2
13924 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Save the dates are only a heads up. They do not serve to put you first in line over someone else’s save the date. Not only is it way too early, your guest list could change between then and now. 

Post # 3
538 posts
Busy bee

It’s way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way too early. Send them out 1 year max. You don’t know what will happen in 2 years, your guestlist may change, your venue could burn down, you could break up, you could have a child and decide to skip the big wedding. Wait until 1 year out at the earliest. 

Post # 6
730 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@pkedits:  it’s never too early or too late to send save the dates. It’s not the invitation, it’s just a courtesy FYI hey we plan to get married on this date. You don’t have to list any details about the wedding. Even if something happens and it changes it doesn’t matter. A save the date is simply a hey pencil this in!

People tend to send them very early if they’re getting married on holiday weekends or something, but you can do whatever you want. No one will thing it’s strange that you’re sending one. At the same time no one will think it’s strange if you wait much longer.  Maybe it’s because I live in a crowded area where weddings tend to get booked 1.5-2.5 years in advance, but I’ve received plenty of save the dates more that two years in advance of the wedding. Not sure why your guest list would change. Didn’t you write out your total guest count before selecting a venue? You also can just send them to VIPs and not everyone. 

Since you’re in the summer I probably would not wait too late since people do take vacations. 

Post # 7
615 posts
Busy bee

I would still probably go with about a year. People don’t choose which wedding they’re going to based on which save the date they receive first, so you don’t need to beat other people to it. You just want to get them out before people start booking travel plans or RSVPing to things. 

If you’re more comfortable getting it out now, you can totally do that too – just no need to panic about it. 

Post # 8
14 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2022

I’m going to say no, it’s not too early! I’m getting married August 2022, and we plan to send out save the dates in the next couple months for guests who will need to book flights/accomodations. It’s a little different now because of COVID, but I figure most people only get a couple weeks of summer vacation, so I want my wedding to be on their radar now before they start making plans.  For local guests, we’ll probably give them out closer to summer time. 

Post # 9
1495 posts
Bumble bee

I would let people know as you talk to them or casually mentioning to the very VIP’s. But send the official save the dates later. Also as PP said, in cases of conflicted schedule it is not first come, first serve.

Post # 10
190 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2022

Our VIPs know, but we’re not sending a save the dates until like 8-10 months out. And we’re getting married on 7.1.22 the Friday right before a holiday weekend. You can do other stuff now, like you mentioned some people are booking hair and makeup artists already, but no need to send the save the dates just yet. 

Post # 11
1017 posts
Bumble bee

Honestly I wouldn’t even REMEMBER to save a date if I got one. I don’t have a calendar for 2022, and I usually keep dates on my phone calendar as well as my paper one…I very well may have a new phone between now and 2022. It’s way too early. Unless it’s an across-the-world destination wedding, I would think 6 months max is appropriate.

Post # 12
216 posts
Helper bee

You could still informally tell people now that you have your wedding date set for that day in 2022. The people who matter to you most will probably make a mental note

Post # 13
178 posts
Blushing bee

I think your VIPs would appreciate the heads up — SIL gave us her heads up for Sept 2022 two months ago. She does plan to send save the dates as well, but I don’t think until closer until a year out. Realistically in our case though, we could 5 other invites for the same date, before hers, and it wouldn’t matter because of our relationship we would choose her every time.

Post # 14
215 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2021

Is there a rule about when to send save the dates too?! I would send them if it were me. We are getting married this June, we set the date in September of 2019 and let everyone know casually as we saw them (we are only having 20 guests). I now wish we did save the dates so everyone could remember the date , not that sending them is a guarantee either haha.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors