(Closed) Is my fiancé crazy for thinking this??

posted 5 years ago in Engagement
Post # 16
2330 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

He’s crazy. Go see it and put down a deposit if you like it, or you will loose it. 

Post # 17
2343 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2016

Our venue actually had a similar policy – they were able to hold a date for a few weeks, but if they had another couple interested we were given a week to put down a deposit or risk the other couple putting one down. We put a hold on our date (we’d seen the venue and loved it, just wanted to double check the date was okay with our VIPs) and 3 days later I got an email saying they’ve had another enquiry for the same date. The manager said she hates to feel like she’s rushing people, but I get it – if they turn down this other couple and we ultimately change our minds, they’ve lost out on business. It seemed like a pretty standard policy when we were looking around.

I second the PP’s suggestion that you go and see it separately if you can’t see it together. Every wedding website and planner recommends booking the venue at least a year out, so if you love this place and don’t want to potentially lose it you’ve got to get your butts into gear!

Post # 18
356 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2017

View original reply
lovelyberylbee6 :  ooh!! That sounds tasty! I agree with the other PPs — go look at the venue before the deposit.

Post # 19
1227 posts
Bumble bee

Doubt it’s a ploy. Go see it ASAP and put down a deposit if you want it. Remember, you don’t actually have a date until you have a venue secured.

Post # 20
975 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

 It’s not surprising at all and it’s sweet they even remotely offered to hold anything for you with no money down. I agree with other posters. You will likely lose the opportunity to book that venue if you don’t act fast. It’s the name of the game. 

Post # 21
1751 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

View original reply
lovelyberylbee6 :  it IS the Valentines weekend, so it not all that impossible people will be booking. Many people get engaged at Christmas – New Years, so they’ll be starting to look now for a wedding date a year in advance  

You realize you’re booking a Friday, right?

If you want the place, I’d believe her that there is another couple interested – especially if this place is nice and cheap. 

Post # 22
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

I doubt it’s a ploy in this case.  It seems common for couples to book their venue a year in advance, so I’d wager this is legit.

Post # 26
7935 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

i think it is a really nice curteasy that they let you know someone else wanted to book that date without a deposit. 

Post # 27
727 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2018 - Farm

I think you should go see the venue as soon as possible. Most venues are not able to hold a date without a deposit. I dont think it is a tactic; although, you may run into some people who do things like that to make someone jump the gun and make certain purchases. I would go see it and put a deposit down before you aren’t able to book it. It’s probably a popular restaurant too.

Post # 28
2168 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2017 - Hogarths, Solihull

View original reply
lovelyberylbee6 :  Our co-ord has had loads of enquiries on our date. We booked before we were engaged because I really wanted the venue and it’s a bank holiday Sunday.

Everytime we see her she’s telling us that she’s had more enquiries on it, so I don’t think it’s a tactic.

However, if you aren’t committed to that specific date then wait and see. If you don’t put down the deposit in the next week, either nothing will happen or she was telling the truth.


Post # 29
670 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2015

View original reply
lovelyberylbee6 : this is totally (in my opinion) reasonable. Think about it. February 16th is the weekend after Valentine’s Day so people are probably thinking of it as super romantic and thus, in demand. Not to mention, just normal wedding inquiries that would have come in regardless of what time of year.

It’s not a cash grab, it’s “if you want your name on this date for sure, we’re giving you first dibs but you have to decide and put a deposit down.” They can’t just hold it forever if there’s other paying brides out there who want it. It’s business.

If you’re set on that date, I’d go look at it and make a decision. If you guys have conflicting schedules you should go separately, or somebody needs to take a long lunch so y’all can go together. I would not put money down before you’ve seen it, but I’d make a priority to go this week while the venue is still being held for you if you really want that spot on that date.

 ETA: saw your updates that you’re planning to go separately if you are unable to go together. Good move, Bee. 🙂 Good luck! Hope you love!

Post # 30
4572 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

View original reply
scissorgirl :  We did this and it worked out great for us (DH and I also work opposite hours). 

OP, we booked 16 months out and other dates that month were taken, I would assume she’s telling you the truth.

The topic ‘Is my fiancé crazy for thinking this??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors