(Closed) Is there such a thing as a DC wedding that costs $8000 or less?

posted 4 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 2
6766 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2015

Literally DC? Probably not.  Cities cost more and you’d probably blow half of that on venue alone.

But there are so many parks and things within an hour or so.  Although I suppose Dec. isn’t the right time for that.  Still maybe you can find a museum or something near-ish-by.  Something on the Potomac farther west, perhaps.  A quick search found Riverside on the Potomac, in Leesburg so not too far – no prices posted on their website, but you never know.

Post # 3
173 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

Have you considered looking at AirBNB venues? I’m an NYC bride on a budget and if I can’t find a rooftop or a luxury hotel suite in my price range, I’m considering it.

Here are a few things in DC proper and surrounding areas. You may have to confirm with the owner you can host events there.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1576762?guests=16&s=rf0vsRzU

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6560804?guests=10&s=8p0ot1kB

Post # 6
2098 posts
Buzzing bee

tmpierson:  But be sure they know it’s a wedding or you could open yourself up to a world of liablity damages when they find out! 

Post # 8
7122 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

tmpierson:  Honestly, if you don’t want to compromise then probably not. Is it possible to have a wedding for 80 people for 8k? Yes, but not with top quality vendors in every category and the best of everything. I don’t mean it to be harsh, but it’s just not being realistic and there has to be some sort of compromise. It’s great to DIY things, but unfortunately the big ticket items are generally the things you can’t DIY (photography, food, DJ) and still have really high expectations. 

Private rental homes are certainly an option (it’s popular in my area) but like someone else mentioned many are explicit about NO events so you could be in a world of mess. Also, they tend to end up being more expensive because you’re having to rent tables, chairs, linens, etc. Basically Everything. 

Post # 11
7445 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

In the DC metro area, you’re looking at $3k for your photographer unless you get extremely lucky. You may want to look into a potential barter agreement for your photography, if you or your fi have a skill that someone would be willing to trade for. Accounting, home renovation, mechanic, etc. 

Post # 12
7445 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

jb7979:  check the body of the listing. At least one that you posted says: 

Max occupancy at any time is 16 people. This is not a venue may not be used as such. Rooftop prohibited at night.

Post # 13
107 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Speaking as a DC area bride that has been planning for the last year and did a lot of research, your best bets are going to be brunch or cocktail-style receptions.  Venues will give you a much better deal on say a Friday or a Sunday during the day time; Saturday night is prime time and you will be VERY lucky to find a spot to even rent and maybe cover catering for your entire budget.  It’s high demand and equally high price.  Maryland, especially a bit further out, was a bit more affordable. 

I second that you should go for places that include rentals over places that require you to rent stuff, it’s much more affordable.  Pretty much anywhere “nice” in DC isn’t remotely cheap and keep in mind experienced wedding photographers can easily cost $2500+.   

You can sometimes get a greater deal a) when vendors have a short-ish notice opening, or b) if they have “off-season” rates (think winter).  Alcohol is a big expense and so are florals.  Minimize the first, and you can DIY the second if you have someone who is willing to do it for you.  Believe it or not Costco is a popular source. That, combined with a cocktail or brunch reception, will all save money. 

The topic ‘Is there such a thing as a DC wedding that costs $8000 or less?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors