Is this a 1920s engagement ring?

posted 3 months ago in Rings
Post # 4
309 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Sure looks like it could be from that period. Get it appraised is the best route. 

Post # 5
3089 posts
Sugar bee

Are you asking if it’s 1920s or Victorian, as those are 2 different eras with extremely different styles and aesthetics.

I’d need more/better/zoomed in photos to make a better determination, but the scrollwork in the side profile is common in both Victorian era rings as well as more contemporary rings based in Victorian designs.  I’ve certainly seen Victorian era rings that look like this, before.

Jewelry from the 1920s is much more likely to be white metal (platinum, white gold, silver, or even a plated base metal.)

Are there any markings inside the band?

Post # 6
512 posts
Busy bee

It looks Victorian to me. Older than 1920s. What an incredible find! I would get it appraised. Looks legit.

Post # 7
315 posts
Helper bee

Beautiful! Can I dig in your backyard? wink

Post # 8
226 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
@beemybee:  right? That’s an amazing find and I’d be digging up my whole backyard if I found that!

Post # 12
318 posts
Helper bee

What a lucky find! If I were you,  I’d take it to a reputable jeweler to get them to test the metal and stones. A good jeweler should be able to tell you about your find.  

Post # 13
1462 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2021 - Australia

wow, it’s beautiful! the other are correct that Victorian refers to the era during which Queen Victoria was reigning – 1837-1901., so, significantly earlier than the 1920s.

Does it have anything written inside? Until 1998 in the UK, for example, products had to be marked with certain information and you can use those marks to determine the age/quality of a ring. Here’s more detail on that:

https://theassayoffice.com/anatomy-of-a-hallmark

Post # 14
1280 posts
Bumble bee

So cool! Please get it checked out and update us!

Post # 15
5699 posts
Bee Keeper

If it was 18kt there should be a stamp. Your photos do not look like diamonds however. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors