(Closed) Is this photographer good? Worth $1,300?

posted 6 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
1916 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I would ask them to see photos of a complete wedding.  Most of the time photographers only put the best photos on their website, so it’s hard to get a sense of what a full wedding will look like.  Of course with 800 or so photos, there will be shots that they miss and some that are not as good as others.

Post # 4
1368 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

Hmm, if you didn’t think your friends wedding photos weren’t great then, you should prob find one you love and pay for the $300! Outside vender fee is ridiculous but it’ll be worth to pay it and use someone you love.

Post # 5
10366 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

They are “okay”, not great. But, $1300 is suuuuuper cheap to me, so I think they are worth that. Although, photography was my biggest priority, so I would have sought out someone else, even though I believe they are appropriately priced.

Post # 6
1066 posts
Bumble bee

@Lily_of_the_valley:  I do LOVE those! I think they are good shots.If you personally love the shots go for it.

Post # 7
734 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

+1 to the previous posters!

$1,300 for a photographer is hard to find in my area, so that’s pretty cheap in my mind and so I would say that they’re worth that amount.

They definitely aren’t the best, though. Like PP said, ask to see a full wedding. You saw almost a full wedding with your friend and if you didn’t like that full wedding then your’s probably won’t be so great either.

Post # 8
484 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@Lily_of_the_valley:  Ehhhh… no.  Absolutely no!  You’ve already answered your own question!  Your friend’s photos weren’t that great.  Why would you pay ANY money for the same photog to produce mediocre results for you as well?

What’s on the website is the absolute BEST they’ve ever shot (not the full results from someone’s whole wedding)… and from my quick look, that isn’t even that great. I would probably go so far as to say “pretty bad” from a pro photog’s perspective.

My personal opinion is that the resort knows darn well that their photos aren’t that great, and is counting on many people paying them $300 for absolutely nothing because of it.  Is that unfair?  It totally is, it really sucks.  Is there anything you can do about it?  No, I don’t see that there is.  Should you suck it up and pay the fee and bring in an actually skilled photographer?  Unfortunately, yes, I’d have to say that you should.  Your wedding photos are the only things you’re going to have left of the day once it’s over!  I really wouldn’t trust them to a photographer that you said yourself is mediocre!  Photography is the one area where it’s really never a good idea to go for price over quality.

Post # 9
5885 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

They are okay, but not that great. I get worried when I see so many B&W, especcially when so many of them are washed out. 

Post # 11
1202 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@Lily_of_the_valley:  I honestly don’t think the photography is that great, it looks okay for maybe an event or conference but not for a wedding. I think the black and white photographs look washed out or too bright and I really am not a fan of professional photographers using selective coloring in their photos..yuck! And I think in this case you are getting what you pay for…mediocre photographs at a relatively “decent” rate. I would suck up the $300 outside vendors fee and find a photographer in the area whose pictures really blow you away or fit with you and your FI’s style. I think the pictures on the website are too posed and forced and some of the angles used are odd. I wouldn’t pay someone $1300 for wedding pictures that are just okay. I tend to think photography is one of those things with weddings that are worth paying more money for because those are pictures you want to look back on when it is your 50th wedding anniversary and be able to relive the wedding day. Keep on looking! 🙂 

Post # 14
979 posts
Busy bee

I think the photographer over exposes their pictures.  White balance is a bit off and the use of the flash is too much. You can see shadows. You shouldn’t see shadows on or around the subjects when you use a flash if you are a professional.

Post # 15
621 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

This is pretty in line with what to expect – amateur work for an amateur price. They lack a basic understanding of exposure/metering and even if the images weren’t overexposed the composition is bad. I don’t see any vision here in these photos. It’s a bummer that the resort is using someone who doesn’t know how to take pictures on the beach.

The topic ‘Is this photographer good? Worth $1,300?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors