(Closed) Is this your year? 2017 waiting bees

posted 3 years ago in Waiting
Post # 76
1089 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2018

Our original timeline was around November 2017, now I’m not sure. See, originally we were supposed to close on our house last October, do some light renovations and then move in last November/December. But our seller died days before closing, leaving us to wait 4 months for surrogate court, more lawyers and paperwork. We finally closed just before Valentine’s Day and now the Reno work has begun. That being said it seems to have pushed our timeline back a bit so now I’m not sure.

For the most part I’m okay with not being engaged yet, but there are times where it flares up, especially since this year all of our friends are having babies lol seriously within the last 4 months there have been 5 new additions and 2 more expected by the summer. So my biological clock is ticking louder than normal lol we know we’re headed to marriage but he wants finances to be settled. 

Post # 77
32 posts
Newbee

It might be coming soon for me… I’ve been dating my bf a year and we bought a house together around 7 months in. I kept feeling this desire to get married even if I tried to not talk about it. It caused quite a few fights and he told me he wasn’t ready yet. He finally talked to me a couple days ago and explained because of his hurt past where his girlfriends left him and cheated, he’s very cautious/jaded now. He also said he feels we argue too much (especially about getting married) and feels pressured to do things he doesn’t want like moving faster before he’s ready. He said he couldn’t give me a timeline or promise of getting married someday. I was disappointed and scared I’m wasting my time but I said I understand and decided to just wait it out. He said within 2 years from now if he has that “feeling” he will propose. I felt very hurt that he said he had that feeling of wanting to be married with his 2 exes but not me. But I just said to myself I’ll enjoy the time we have together now and maybe things will change.

Then this past weekend we went out and he had me trying on cheap silver rings just to see my size, and he bought one. I thought he was keeping it to see my size in case he decides to propose one day. Last night while we’re both asleep he puts it on my finger and says “I promise I’ll ask you sometime soon okay?” It was the cutest thing ever and not a fancy ring but I could care less. The gesture means way more from him and I never expected it. He is obviously embarassed/shy about these things and he always does it at a weird time like at night (same thing when he said I love you for the first time). Even if he had a cheap engagement ring and we elope at the courthouse I will be very happy.

Btw I’m turning 34 so I know a year isn’t long to have been dating. But I’m getting old and was hesitant about being with someone who doesn’t feel the same! I still wonder what made him change his mind from 2 days ago.

Post # 78
1 posts
Wannabee

Help! I feel like I’m going crazy! Bought a house with my SO nearly two years ago now, since then he’s been saving money for an engagement ring (he’s very open about this). There were several occasions last year that I thought it’d happen, and after getting upset I finally asked him for a rough timeline – he told me 2017… Well, it’s 2017 now! It was my birthday last week, and he’s surprised me with a weekend away in a couple of weeks time, but let it slip that he’d used some of the engagement ring savings. Surely this could only mean one thing? Or am I reading too much into it? Helpppp!

Post # 80
Hostess
9132 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: Dorset, UK

View original reply
becks90 :  I hope my SO doesn’t keep me waiting longer than this year as HE keeps bringing it up, my best friend was over last night and we were talking about holidays and saving money and he outright just said that he needed to be saving for a ring. lol. I am literally addicted to looking at my dream rings at the moment!

Post # 82
1001 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2018

I’m going to post and then go back and read all the stories!

2017 is THE YEAR, we actually want to get married before the end of the year as well (because it’s either this november or next november, and we’d like to start trying for kids next year so… it’s either pulling the goalie after a year of marriage or on the honeymoon!)

I’m not very good about not asking him when it’s happening. I’m about as subtle as a mack truck. The other day (after his mother asked us what our wedding would likely entail) I cracked after dinner and told him “soon” was not an acceptable response to “when” that I needed more specifics. He asked if that meant I wanted to know the DAY, and I said NO but like, have you gone ring shopping? have you talked to my dad? do you have a general idea of when?

yes yes and YES!

I of course, immediately asked follow up questions and he said “NO! I gave you that information so you would feel better, you can’t know more, I want it to be a surprise” and of course he’s right. I apologized for being bat shit crazy (I bring this up once a week, and recently started suggesting we go venue hunting before we get engaged).. he hugged me, kissed my forehead and said that I had been doing SO well and I just needed to get through a little bit more time.

SO HE BETTER NOT WAIT MUCH LONGER OR I WILL [email protected]*&ING LOSE IT!

Post # 83
358 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2019

I thiiiiiiink it might be 2017, though he has until end of April 2018 😉 But he switched the timeline from January-April 2018 to anytime from now until April 2018, so either he wanted to throw me off or it’ll be 2017! Last I checked, he was figuring out how to have the ring shipped to our apartment without me knowing when it arrives, since one of us will have to be home to sign for it and we carpool to work/school… I wonder how other bees have solved that issue haha.

I’m hoping for a holiday proposal around Christmas or New Year’s because I love the holidays and think they are so romantic (but I wouldn’t complain if the proposal came earlier either!!). 

Post # 84
477 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

I think Saturday is proposal day! Lots of hints, was asked to change my conflicting plans, and know that the ring is ready because apparently his female friends saw pictures and he was teasing me about having to wait – but not too long. 

But, unexpected thing, I found out yesterday that my cousin got engaged last Wednesday – and people didn’t react well. Not badly, but the whole family has been somewhat disappointed in her choice of partner and I think their disappointment was pretty clear when she told everyone. Now I’m on the cusp of a proposal and know that my broader family will be thrilled about it – I feel a little bit like I’m taking some wind out of her already blah experience. 

Post # 85
43 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2020

Hey Bee’s, bit of an update. Could be nothing, but then again, who knows!

SO knows I’ve been looking at a beautiful antique ring on Etsy. It’s been available for easily 6 months, and now it’s not. I mentioned it to him the other day, just a simple “Oh, that ring I really liked on Etsy got sold” – not really meaning anything by it. He got all weird and didn’t really answer. It might be nothing, but Bee’s I think he bought it! When you’ve been together almost 4.5 years you know when your SO is trying to dodge answering a question! Not that I asked one, but you get the gist. wink

Post # 86
Hostess
9132 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: Dorset, UK

View original reply
bean15 :  Oh my gosh  – sounds promising, you got a photo of the ring to share with us?

Post # 88
477 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

YES!!!! I’ll write it up in the Waiting thread. 

Post # 89
196 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2020

SO just asked my mother for permission to propose to me!

We ventured up to visit our families (we’re both from the same hometown) and while I was chatting with one of my college friends downstairs, SO disappeared for a bit and I heard him talking to my mother. I know that he wanted to ask her permission in person while we were visiting so it wasn’t a surprise and I didn’t hear anything really but I DID pick up the words “6 months” by mistake, so now I’m almost thinking he might propose around our anniversary or his birthday this August/September!

Longer wait than what I was originally hoping, BUT I’LL TAKE IT.

The topic ‘Is this your year? 2017 waiting bees’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors