(Closed) Is under $500 too cheap for an engagement ring?

posted 3 years ago in Boston
Post # 2
328 posts
Helper bee

No.    The engagement ring is what ever you can afford.    You can get a plastic ring and call it an engagement ring.   Amy Slaton got a $100 ring from Rogers from her fiance.  They barely have money.

Post # 3
2777 posts
Sugar bee

I don’t think your price range is unreasonable at all. There are lots of beautiful rings in the 200-500 range, especially if you look at ebay for vintage rings. With a bit of saving, that seems like a very reasonable pricepoint, though if he can’t afford it then perahps you could offer to chip in. Have you asked him what he wants to spend? 

Post # 4
2619 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I’m not sure what your financial situation is, but perhaps he doesn’t know much about jewelry and cost? My DH was pretty shocked when we went to a store to look at rings because he thought he could get a lot more for his money. I think it is fair for you to want a ring made out of quality material that will last your lifetime, and your $500 max budget seems reasonable and on the low end for engagement ring costs (especially if you are looking at getting gold).

Perhaps if you can not afford the ring you want now due to bills, being a student, low paying job, etc. then you could get a cheaper ring for the time being and upgrade later?

Post # 5
6377 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
Agirl22 :  That’s around what we paid for my first set.  If you can’t afford $500 don’t fault him for that.

Post # 6
15287 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

If he shops a lot and has ‘expensive taste’, as in he can easily spend $500 on himself, then no, I don’t think $500 is too much for an ring like he says.  The way I see it, people easily drop more than that on a TV or cell phone or whatever other electronics and replace that every few years, so it’s not unreasonable to spend that amount on somethign that is not as disposable as electronics.  If he can’t afford it, and you’re still using a tube TV from the 90’s and have a very tight budget where you dont spend a lot on anything, then yes, it’s unreasonable.

Post # 8
328 posts
Helper bee

You can get a nice ring for that price from a pawn shop.

Post # 9
15287 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

View original reply
Agirl22 :  What are you looking at that “turns” color.  You can get 10k gold rings in the 100-200 range that wont turn color.  Check out overstock.com.  They have a TON of beautiful gemstone 10k gold rings under $200.

Post # 13
987 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: City, State

View original reply
Agirl22 :  so he spends money on himself, but

. I know you deserve a nice ring but will get you that one in due time. “

You have to like, work for/earn a nicer ring (and no, you aren’t greedy or anything) from him?

Post # 15
10479 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: City, State

If you’re getting 10K gold, it won’t tarnish. My e-ring is 10k gold and has held up very well (it also cost less than $500)

The topic ‘Is under $500 too cheap for an engagement ring?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors