Is under $500 too cheap for an engagement ring?

posted 2 years ago in Boston
Post # 46
34 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2006

It’s a big deal to him because you and the ring aren’t as important as his expensive taste in toys.  If he’s only making $1,000 biweekly and blowing his money on expensive things, he’s not financially stable enough to sustain a marriage.

I’d say, “boy, byeeee”

Post # 47
1022 posts
Bumble bee
Post # 48
391 posts
Helper bee

No, it’s not too cheap.  It’s about the promise to get married, not the ring itself.  My own, original engagement ring was around $500.  We were young and just starting off.  Etsy has some lovely, affordable rings.  For example, this 1/4 carat diamond solitare for $92 set in 14K gold http://www.etsy.com/listing/567712899/diamond-solitare-ring-promise 

Post # 49
2467 posts
Buzzing bee

I think you need to be PICKIER ABOUT BOYFRIENDS, not rings.

It’s possible to buy very nice rings for $500 or less, but why do you want to brood about that when he’s into spending most of his salary on himself?

And are you aware that your body chemistry plays a major part in whether metal reacts with your skin by changing the skin color? I have some rings and necklaces that cost plenty, and even so they leave marks on my skin.

You sound as though you’re more eager than he to make you relationship more permanent. Maybe you should plan to wait and see if he begins to realize that you’re more important to him than the BIG SCREEN.

Post # 50
1732 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

Agirl22 :  Sorry OP – I’m going to offer a different (maybe even unpopular) opinion. If a man cannot afford to put a nice ring on my finger, maybe he’s not ready to be married. How can he be a provider as my husband and future father of my children if he cannot afford to purchase a $500 ring? I’m not saying that the ring needs to cost $100,000 – but come on. $500 is too much of a financial stretch for him?!? A part-time job would pay that off in no time. 

I personally would not settle for a $500 ring, much less a $200 ring because I believe that a good man should present a ring that would make me proud to wear. That means he will work extra hours if necessary, or save for a longer time if necessary. A good husband sacrifices to make his family happy. He doesn’t just take the easy way out. To me, the ring is representative of that.

My parents are coming up on their 30th anniversary next year and my father worked 2 jobs and went to school full time to get my mother the ring of her dreams. To this day, she LOVES that ring and gushes when she talks about how hard my dad worked to pay for it a little bit at a time, until it was finally paid off. He was 23 at the time. He was definitely young, but he had the maturity of a man ready to be married.

Your boyfriend? Not so much. I know you didn’t mention how old you two are, but my advice is to forget the ring shopping. Hold off on all engagement and wedding plans until you two are both more stable and have the available finances to sustain a stable home. He cannot support a wife right now. Are you two both pursuing higher education to increase your income? I would focus on that, and living life. There’s so much out there. Don’t tie yourself down prematurely.

And I say all of this with love. Honestly OP, it’s exactly what I would tell my baby sister if she were in your same situation. xoxo

Post # 51
621 posts
Busy bee

I dont think the price of a ring matters.

As long as you love it and its durable to last decades then thats all that matters.

Post # 52
7 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Agirl22 :  $500 is very reasonable , personally I think that’s a lot less then what people normally spend on an engagement ring. I would suggest to you that maybe you’re boy friend is not ready for marriage and you should not have to pay for you’re own ring because you are not asking for something that’s ridiculously expensive.. I don’t know why some bees think it’s ok for him to splurge on himself and not buy you a reasonably priced ring. I would seriously question you’re relationship with him 

Post # 54
5044 posts
Bee Keeper

Can you define his expensive tastes? That woyld help with my advice. For example I have bad feet so my $150+ on most shoes looks extravagant on the outside but in reality is the price for good arch support that’s ok with business casual. I have to save up for them and skip other things. But if I bought them without need and without saving and instead of bills it would be a spending and priority problem. 

So I need to know if he’s buying things based on a need like that or bad priorities. No clue what the cost of living is there either. I made about $24k a year before and $500 could break my budget big time. 

So in general it’s not too much for a ring but that varies by budget.  We had sticker shock too. But looking around I figured pretty fast what the cost is. So $500 is on the low end. You can go on Etsy and see what they have so many beautiful options below that price. But figure out if it’s an affordability issue or he’s being stingy with you huuuge difference. One can be broke yet generous of heart it’s not about the money. 

Post # 55
39 posts
Newbee

There’s no such thing as a cheap engagement ring.. The commitment and taking that next step in your relationship is more important than a piece of jewellery.. Anything can be an e-ring and you buy what is affordable as you can always upgrade in the future.. Love isn’t measured by the size/cost of the ring.. 

Post # 56
8552 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Agirl22 :  

No gold ring will ‘rust’ or ‘tarnish’ or make your finger go green. You must be thinking of some sort of base metal,which certainly would not cost $500! My guess your bf is even more ignorant and is blown away by how much jewellery costs , lol. 

You need to educate yourselves on it and he will come to see that you are being rather modest in your requirements with any luck .

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors