(Closed) Istanbul / Turkey … can we do it for $5000? (3000 after flights?)

posted 5 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
823 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@batbrain:  I went to Turkey for two weeks 3 years ago, and while the exchange rate may have changed, when I went, Turkish money was valued at almost double what I had in American. Depending on what you are looking to do, I think you cold easily do Turkey on that budget. I was in Istanbul for two weeks, and not including airfare and my hotel cost, for food, sightseeing and other tourist costs, as well as souvenirs and shopping, I spent under $600 American dollars. 

Post # 4
2065 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

We just spent 2 weeks in Europe (not Turkey, but Ireland, Netherlands, and Italy) for about $6K total (including flights, which was about $2500 of the budget). I’d say it’s easily doable.

Have you thought about sites like Airbnb? We rented apartments instead of hotels and saved a TON on lodging and food. We had our own kitchen in each one, so we could cook occasionally and we had a place to do laundry as well.

Post # 5
67 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I just looked up the exchange rate and it’s 1.8 to 1 USD.  I have never been to Turkey, but it seems doable.  Don’t forget the cost of passports if you don’t have them yet, plus incidental fees at the airport and transportation costs.  There are some travel sites with forums like tripadvisor that you might want to post this at too, they’re super helpful there. 

About the airline tickets, they could go up or down.  They base the rates on the capacity of the plane, the more tickets are purchased the higher the price and vice versa.  If you could get ahold of a friend or family member that works for the airline they can check specific flight capacity for you.

Good luck!

Post # 7
54 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

October should be the off season. Where are you flying from? I’ve seen as low as 400 from DC and Ive seen 555 from NYC. I’m actually looking at tickets from Istanbul to NYC, and they’re around 700 RT in October.

As long as you don’t go out for fancy meals every night, you should be fine.

Where are you planning to travel to around the country? That will most likely suck up a bunch of your money.

Have you looked at the budget arilines such as ryan air or sun express? Buses may be a cheaper option and they’re plentiful & comfortable (comes with tv and snacks).

Post # 9
1471 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I went a few years back and could easily enjoy myself on that kind of money, but things may have changed a bit since then.

Post # 10
4495 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@batbrain:  Looks like you’re in PA and getting married in October, me too! We’re going to Italy & Turkey for our honeymoon. Like you, I was hoping tickets would come down but I ended up buying them for $1600 total. Last year I had seen tickets to Istanbul in October 2012 for $500! I was hoping to find the same type of deal, but no luck. We are staying in a suite in Istanbul, so it’ll be kind of expensive, but honestly in my research I haven’t found things to be too expensive there in general. Even our suite was only $300/night and for this room it would have been double that price in a city like Rome or Paris! I bet you could find a really nice place for $100/night.

I think $114 a day seems okay. Our last trip to Europe was to Italy and Spain in 2011 and I budgeted about $200/day (but those countries are much more expensive than Turkey).  If you plan to travel around the country though your budget might be tight depending on where you’re going. The coast is really expensive so I would expect to spend more if you visit there. We’ll be in Istanbul for 6 nights, which from what I’ve heard is a good amount of time to stay in the city.

Post # 12
54 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

From what FH says, it’s not going to be *very* cold, but you’re right, I didn’t consider that. For all that’s worth, out of 14 days in Turkey, it only rained the last day for me.

Anyway, have fun. It’s a lovely country. Lots of different landscapes and lots of history and culture–thousands of years worth. Enjoy!

Some suggestions if you were to travel around the country:

Cappadocia: <a href=”http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/off-the-beaten-path-honeymoons#post-biw=1236&bih=672&sei=86SRUZGXPMjy0gGf1YHwDQ”> link</a>

Pamukkale (DH has gone, I’ve never been, but planning on taking my wedding guests here): <a href=”http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=pamukkale&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=saSRUZXIE4rN0AGxiYDABg&biw=1236&bih=672&sei=v6SRUb_NHuaS0QHSooGYDA”> link</a>

The topic ‘Istanbul / Turkey … can we do it for $5000? (3000 after flights?)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors