(Closed) Is a December 30, 2010 wedding too crazy?

posted 8 years ago in December 2010
Post # 3
1980 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

While I love winter weddings, I would probably not go to a wedding on a Thursday night (as a guest). I work early in the mornings (sometimes as early as 5 AM) and I wouldn’t want/be able to give up a day off of work to be there. Some of your guests from out of town will definitely feel this way.

Post # 4
Bee
2362 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - New York Botanical Garden

Why not do New Year’s Eve?  A saturday night would be perfect, I think and people already plan to do something out of the ordinary, usually.  If I saw Thursday as a wedding date I might think it was a little weird but I would probably still be there

Post # 5
5784 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2011

I would go for NYE, I know lots of couples that have gone to New Years Eve weddings and loved them.

Post # 6
2392 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

I got married on Dec. 29th, which was a Tuesday and I loved it.  I think people will be understanding of your date and your reasoning behind it.  I know everyone was completely understand with us.  Darling Husband is in the Army and we HAD to choose our wedding date to be in one of his block leave sections.  You’re kind of in the same situation in the sense that you only have a certain time frame to work on.  With your boards, studying, sister’s graduation, etc. that’s A LOT to deal with while planning a wedding.  I say get married in December and enjoy every minute of it!

I can also understand why you wouldn’t want to have a wedding on a weekday.  Yes, it’s going to be inconvenient for guests, but in the end, no matter how hard your try and no matter what day your wedding is on…it’s going to be inconvenient for someone.  So, you just have to go with what works with you and your family the best.

Post # 7
1580 posts
Bumble bee

Since New Years falls on a Saturday, I think I would have Friday off work (New Years Eve). This might be the case for others too. So I think a wedding on Thursday Dec 30 would work out great if you started the ceremony after business hours.

You should be prepared that many guests may not be able to make it if they need to travel or have other holiday plans, but I think it is generally a good idea.

Post # 8
133 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

If I was a friend and in town I’d go, but if I was out of town for other family plans I’d skip it.  If I was a family member I’d likely be there.

Post # 9
19 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2010

You sound a lot like me!  I’m in dental school and Fiance is in medical school, so that coveted time off of school is really rare.  We are doing NYE and couldn’t be happier.  We went back and forth with it for a while, and finally realized that all of our family would be able to be there (with people being off that week) and it really works for us, too.  I say do whatever you want!  Yes, weekends are better but it is kind of a “holiday week” still.  Those that really mean a lot to you will be there.  Good luck to you!! 🙂

Post # 10
1752 posts
Buzzing bee

I LOVE all of the NYE, or close to, weddings I have seen.  Everyone is in a partying mood & it’s a great time to celebrate!  Plus it gives a great instant theme to your wedding.

Post # 11
2867 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I bet a lot of people would have the 31st off as well so you may not have to worry about it being on a Thursday. Plus I know a lot of people take off NYE so they don’t have to work before going out to celebrate.

I think as a guest it would depend on how close I was to the couple – I might skip if they were just a co-worker or acquaintance. Obviously some people might have plans for the holiday but I’d imagine most people would be happy to have another reason to celebrate around New Years.

Post # 12
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Depending on how close I am to the couple, I probably would not go to the wedding. And if I did, I probably wouldn’t stay long. Just because it is a Thursday and while lots of people take it off or have it off – that’s not the case for everyone. Some don’t have the vacation time left after the holidays passing )and money might be tight for people that time of year which may effect your gifts-not that money is what’s most important, just a thought). But having said all that… I think it would be better to have a NYE wedding.

People are still in a partying and magical spirit and what better way to celebrate  than at a wedding. Plus so many people complain about trying to find something to do so why not give your friends and family a party to go to. I used to work as a wedding coordinator and NYE weddings were always so much fun. There are so many great things you can do with it.

Post # 13
449 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

We’re December 30, 2010 too! Not crazy at all! There is travel involved for us and most our family to go home for the holidays and the wedding, so we decided it was best to combine them so that people would have the travel expense twice in one year. Also, the children are out of school and it is an easier time for most people to take off of work. Having it on the 30th istead of the 31st gives a little bit more flexibility for those people that will have to travel home to work the following week.

Post # 14
406 posts
Helper bee

I think it all depends on your own personality.  If you won’t be hurt because folks may be tied up or not able to make it at that time, then I say “go for it”.  The date has a sort of intrinsic magic, doesn’t it- falling right before New Year’s.  I can see anniversary trips or parties around that time each year, while all the holiday lights are still out and the mood is optimistic.  You just have to be able to predict whether the date will make your holidays more stressful, or add to the joy each year. 

Post # 15
4001 posts
Honey bee

I love a winter wedding, I’d be all for a NYE wedding too.  But being the day before NYE, people might have alternate plans and not be able to do both.  Which would be crappy and hopefully wouldn’t happen, but it could.  Or, a lot of times people are still with their families and/or out of town.  Plus, if you have a lot of out of towners, travel expenses will be much higher then.  So that, coupled with the cost of the holidays themselves, your guests may be financially tapped.  I guess, honestly, I don’t love the idea. 

The topic ‘Is a December 30, 2010 wedding too crazy?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors