(Closed) itchy area under my rings?

posted 8 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Hostess
18644 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

It sounds like you probably have some kind of skin irritation from soap, dirt, etc getting trapped under your rings.  The best thing to do would probably be not wear your rings for a little while to let the skin irritation go away and always make sure to rinse and dry under your ring properly (I always take my rings off and dry the inside after washing my hands).

Post # 4
Member
4485 posts
Honey bee

It doesn’t really matter if the rings were from reputable vendors. If you are having that type of skin reaction, then that is an allergy to the metal used, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the reputation of the store. Go to a doctor and have it checked out to be certain and have an allergy test scheduled to see what you are able to wear.

Post # 6
Member
4485 posts
Honey bee

Even so, it does happen for allergies to anything to develop over time, even when they have never been an issue in the past. The best thing to do is get it checked out by a doctor and then go from there.

As far as refund or exchange goes, all you can do is ask. They may or may not allow it based on those grounds.

Hope everything works out for you.

Post # 8
Member
376 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

@Joeswifey – I have a nickel and steel allergy, and some jewelry creates the allergy after I’ve worn the piece for a while and the outside metal wears off.  My platinum ring is just fine, but I need to get even white gold re-plated 1x/year or so depending on wear. 

It sounds more like your finger either started an allergy to metal or like something got under the ring and irritated your skin. This happened me once with a type of plant I was allergic to. I was doing yard work and must have touched something, washed my hands but didn’t take off my ring. I’m not saying it’s a plant allergy, just that it could be a lot things. I’d visit a dermatologist and have them take a look. 

Post # 9
Member
955 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I wore a ring my Fiance gave me for our 2nd anniversary for years. It is white gold and all of the sudden i started getting a couple little bumps under the ring and it was itchy and a little pink and then would dry out and be a little flakey. Just what you described, i was afraid it was I was allergic to the metal. But it was actually a soap that would get trapped in /under the ring and that was what was giving me the reaction. It is a eucalyptus soap that i would scrub my feet with when I would do an at home pedi. I know for a fact that is what is was and ever since I always take my ring off and it doesn’t happen anymore. Hope it’s not your rings!

Post # 10
Member
875 posts
Busy bee

It sounds like a yeast infection…  You need to let your skin heal properly.  Don’t wear your rings for a couple of days.  The rings trap moisture on your skin, and that provides the natural yeast that is on our skin surface the opportunity to grow…  The heat and humidity have probably played a part in keeping your hands damp, and encouraged the irritation to begin with…  I’ve had similar experiences… and the irritation under my ring clears up quickly if I leave my ring off.  What I have noticed is that normally the start of the irritation begins because I’ve had a reason to keep my hands damp and not been able to dry them properly… (perhaps while travelling or doing some activity that traps moisture underneath my ring…including washing my hands frequently) 

Post # 11
Member
643 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

My Fiance has a school ring and it gives him the same spots. They call it “xringitus” as apparently it’s common with the school ring (everyone gets the ring their graduating year).

We cleaned the ring, let his finger heal and put clear nail polish on the skin facing part of the ring -reapply as needed (not often) and no issues 🙂

Post # 12
Member
149 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I actually just had this happen as well it was a pink bumpy area underneath my ring that also had dry skin around it and I believe that what some of the other bees are saying is correct, that it is soap getting underneath your ring.  I just happened to be speaking to my boss and I showed it to her and she broke off a piece of her aloe vera plant and I rubbed it on the area, and wore my ring on the opposite hand for about an hour and I could already see a difference.  It was clearing up and by the next day, when I kept rubbing the aloe plant on it, it was all healed up.  So try that out, I hope this helps 🙂

Post # 14
Member
149 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Oh I totally understand you, I hate taking mine off…so I put it on the other hand for an hour (and it just about killed me lol)

Post # 16
Member
342 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 1991

My e-ring and wedding band are both yellow gold.  I also have a 14kt yellow gold claddagh ring that was made in Ireland that I wear on my right hand.  I never have a problem with itching with my wedding set.  The skin underneath the claddagh ring itches like crazy!  

The topic ‘itchy area under my rings?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors