Post # 1
So of course I’ve been watching a lot of wedding shows and reading wedding magazines recently, and I’m seeing/reading about so much … STUFF that I don’t plan on doing at my wedding. At first I thought I was out of the loop or not classy enough or something but then I realized that in my 27 years on this planet and the 8 or so weddings I’ve been to, I’ve NEVER been to a wedding where …
1) … there was a cocktail hour. I mean, yeah, the guests get to the reception site before the bridal party and the bar is open and some people grab a drink. But it’s not a “formal” cocktail hour and it’s not in a whole seperate location.
2) … we ate anything other than cheese, crackers, veggies, and fruit for hors d’oeuvres. Perfectly acceptable in my book. Even the snobby cousins did this. lol
3) … had a “Vienese” hour. I’ve actually never heard of this until I watched a “4 Weddings” marathon the other day. What the crap??? Anyone else as clueless as me?
4) … there were NOT cookies. I think this is mostly a western Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh/Slovak thing, but every wedding I have been to has a TOOOOOOON of cookies in addition to the cake. And usually they are all home made!
So just for fun, anybody want to share their “nevers?” Not bashing or anything, just observing.
Post # 3
I have never been to a wedding where people have more than one dress throughout the night. Though according to this board and all the magizines I keep reading this is pretty common. I had no idea there was such a thing as a ‘reception dress’ until recently, most people where I live are just extatic to have a dress at all.
Post # 4
I’m with you on the Vienese hour! I must have been watching that same 4 Weddings marathon. I had never heard of it before then!
Post # 5
1) …the dinner was buffet
2) …there was not a seating chart
3) …had a cash bar
But this will change soon since all the weddings out here seem much different (from CT). Whenever I go to a wedding with DH’s family this will change.
Post # 6
I second #2 and #4 on your list!
I’ve never been to a wedding were the Bride and Groom had a first look. There has always been at least an hour or two between the ceremony and reception and everyone lived.
I’ve never been to a wedding with a desert bar… mine will be the first!
I’ve never been to a wedding with a photobooth
I’ve never been to a wedding that had a rustic chic ‘theme’… mine will be the first!
Post # 7
oh i forgot:
never been to a wedding with a dress change
never been to a wedding with a cash bar
never been to a wedding with a photo booth
never been to a wedding with a sit down dinner (again, even the “rich” peple I know have buffets)!
Post # 8
I’ve never even heard of a viennese hour before. I just had to google it.
Until I was an adult, I had never been to a wedding with a sit down dinner. I thought only rich, fancy people had them. All of my Southern friends had cocktail style receptions.
Post # 9
Eff. Now I need to Google Viennese hour. Thanks a lot! LOL
Post # 10
Never been to a wedding with….
1) A dress change by the bride
2) A cash bar
3) A live band
Post # 11
i like this post!!
I’ve never been to a wedding with less than 100 people
Post # 13
I like this thread! I think sometimes all of the details we see here from many different weddings make me feel like I need all of those details in my ONE wedding, lol.
Never have I ever (been to a wedding where there was):
A viennese hour (had to google)
A second dress
A first look
A candy bar
A photo booth
Save the dates
Ice cream bar/coffee bar/late night snack
A dollar dance
A Cocktail hour
A design element that made it look like something out of a magazine
not a happy bride
And all of the weddings I have been to were lovely and memorable simply because of the nature of the occasion!
Post # 13
1) Cash Bar
3) more than one wedding dress
4) Candy Bar (other than my own wedding)
Post # 14
…with a dollar dance.
I know it’s regional, but they aren’t done here and I’d kind of like to see how it works.
Post # 15
ahhhh, i see. I figured it was something like this. ^
Although pretty much every wedding I’ve been to has the desserts out from start to finish. lol.