Post # 1
For those of you who know J. Crew’s sales tactics well, I need your help. I’m considering getting their Taryn dress in Navy for my bridesmaids. I get the feeling that they cycle through their colors every 4 monthes or so, as the hazel blue color I was in love with over the summer is now on sale (but I’m not sure if I can get the mens vests/ties to match). Do you guys think that colors released this fall will be on sale in the spring?
Post # 4
hmm I can’t answer THAT question, but make sure you get the student discount! (10% or 15% can’t remember which). Just give them your student ID at the register (or find a student to buy it for you?)
Post # 5
Odds are they will go on sale in January.
Post # 6
I’d call and ask! No harm in asking. They’ll for sure know when colors get added and discontinued. Some stay for longer than a season other gets cut short. Call and ask, they’ll be honest with you! tell them it’s for a large wedding party and they’ll listen!
Post # 7
i actually used to work for j.crew (as of a few days ago….) and i can tell you all you need to know about special occasion dresses. since i mostly handled all things bridal, i’m pretty confident i can lead you in the right path.
1. yes, colors change frequently due to season. the classic colors do stick around but you’re going to see tons of jewel tones for this season. for the colors that do come out for fall, winter and so on, you will find that the ‘trendier’ colors will go on sale the following season. so you’re on the right path!
2. all j.crews have swatches of the color that you’re looking for. LOOK AT THEM!!!! i cannot stress that enough. depending on the fabric, the color that you think you love, you may end up hating.
3. you have the option to set up a fitting in-store. if someone says no, say they are lying and that you talk to an associate. setting up a fitting for your lovely ladies will not leave you finacially obligated for the dresses. AND you can see them in person…again with the love/hate.
4. use the red phone to get the discount, and that’s for all things full price only. no discount on sale items. you also get free shipping if you use the red phone versus ordering online. some stores are kinda meany pants about adjusting pricing if you ordered online. also, if you order online, you’re stuck with shipping which does not get rememberced should you decide to return the dress.
5. the taryn dress is beautiful. good choice. (had to throw that in…)
6. DO NOT GO BY THE SIZING CHART! they are liars and your girls will either be swimming in the dress or it’ll be too tight. go by their street size, that also goes with wedding dresses. i wish that size chart will go away……haha!
that’s all i can think of now- i really hope this helps you out! oh- and if you’re not a student, but are a teacher, you also get the discount (applies to both) 15%. good luck and let me know if i can answer any other questions for ya!!
Post # 8
Mc126 – such great advise!!
SDBornWed – if Mc126 didn’t shed her insights i would’ve also guessed “yes they will go onsale” – i wish i bought my bridesmaids dresses later and my shoes later b/c i was worried they wont have the color/size. 3 months later, it was 30 or 40% off AND they had all the sizes i was looking for. it was too late by then.
If you are ok w/ taking the chance it will be gone, then do wait! it’ll save you lots of money.
Post # 9
@mc126: Your advice is amazing!!!!! Thank you for taking the time to share :-]. I LOVE the hazel blue, but I cant imagine how I could match the mens vests and tie to the dresses :-/. So, I really want the girls to get the same dress in navy, but I want them to pay $60 :-p. I’ll keep an eye on it between now and February and hopefully such a dark, winter color will go on sale! :-]
Post # 10
Did the colors ever go on sale?? Thanks!!