(Closed) Christian weddings – are they always to be in a church

posted 7 years ago in Accessories
Post # 3
4485 posts
Honey bee

No, that is the couple’s decision, not the church’s. What alot of people tend to forget is that God created nature, etc and is everywhere. Contrary to popular belief, he doesn’t confine himself to manmade buildings, even though some denominations seriously believe he does. Even Jesus said “where 2 or 3 of you are in my name, there I am also”, and if that doesn’t make it clear, then nothing will convince folks. Have your wedding wherever you want and God will still be there.

Post # 4
7291 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

I think this is very dependent on your definition of Christian.

If your Catholoic- I believe Church law will say you have to be married in the Church.

Many other branches of Christianity allow for a pastor to be mobile and perform the holy service just about anywhere.

Post # 5
132 posts
Blushing bee

My sister had a Christian wedding, and she got married in a park.  It depends on the particular brand of Christianity, I guess.  Her wedding was a non-denomination Christian one.

Post # 6
4824 posts
Honey bee

I husband is Catholic, I am Congregationalist and we had an Episcopalian Reverand marry is onsite at our venue. She is an old family friend.

Post # 7
148 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’ve had Christian friends marry in a church, in a park, in a backyard. I personally think the content and faith of the couple makes it a Christian wedding, not the location.

Post # 8
3314 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

God created everything, and in my opinion, it’s not up to the people of a church to limit where you can have a wedding.  I did have mine in a chapel, but that was because I’d fallen in love with the place.  Had I found an outdoor space that I loved and was having it at a good time for outdoor, then I would have celebrated my wedding joyfully under the heavens that God created!  🙂

Post # 9
5657 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2012

We’re christian and we’re getting married at our venue (a sugar shack in the woods). We believe God is present everywhere. The church we attend weekly is actually held in a movie theatre! Very comfy seats. 😉

Post # 10
60 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

This probably isn’t relevant as I guess you’re in the USA but in the UK if you have a ‘civil ceremony’ i.e. a wedding in a hotel, register office, village hall etc it’s illegal to say or sing anything religious. You are not allowed to mention god, religion or faith in any language. So I guess over here yeah a Christian wedding has to be in a church. I imagine it’s different in other places. There’s also the possibility of having your wedding in the woods or wherever and having a blessing in your church. 

Post # 11
630 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

My pastor was like, “Okay! So we can do this at your home, at a park, or somewhere here in the church. Wherever you want!”

Post # 12
3601 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 1992

We had a Christian wedding in a city park.

Post # 13
5009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@HomelyNewt That isn’t actually true. In Scotland you can have a religious ceremony (including Pagan, Humanist or Inter-Faith ceremonies) anywhere your celebrant agrees is safe and dignified.

A friend of mine had a Church of Scotland marriage ceremony atop a mountain.

The topic ‘Christian weddings – are they always to be in a church’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors