James Allen 2019 experiences??

posted 2 months ago in Rings
Post # 2
121 posts
Blushing bee

Bump! Want to know about their feedback too! 

Post # 3
54 posts
Worker bee

My fiance bought my ring from James Allen and he only had glowing reviews. We ran into one problem during the process which was rectified quickly and our ring arrived in 1.5 weeks (to the UK)! 

The ring itself, a 1.8 carat round brilliant solitaire on yellow gold. I have received so many compliments on it – it honestly is stunning. I know a lot of people on weddingbee may not recommend them but I honestly could not have asked for anything better.

One note – if you’re ordering from abroad (like us), you may be hit with quite a large import tax, which we weren’t aware of so factor this into your decision / budget.

Post # 4
3 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: September 2019

My ring is from James Allen, purchased this year. Customer service is fantastic. One challenge was the online sizing tool, which is wildly inaccurate, so the engagement ring was ridiculously large. I had it resized for free and then later decided to bump it up a quarter size for about $50. We purchased our wedding rings from them too, although I changed my mind on mine and returned it for a full refund. They offer free rhodium plating for life although I probably won’t take advantage of it. It’s $30 to ship the ring back to them and they keep it for a few weeks, but I can go to my neighborhood jeweler and get it done same day for the same price. Having sent my ring back to them a few times and ordered some wedding rings, I can say to not expect the estimated ship date to be accurate. It’s usually close by a few days, but it can seem like an ETERNITY when you’re eager to see your rings. Mine is a .5 carat cathedral set with side channel set stones and side engraving. Congrats!

Post # 5
161 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

I did not order a diamond from them. But I did get a platinum wedding band to add to my set. It was delivered in a timely fashion and came in a beautiful, extravagant box. I was a little surprised that such a tiny ring would be delivered that way. I even kept the box since I found it so nice lol. No issues at all and would definitely order from them in the future. 

Post # 6
1332 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2005 - A Castle

I ordered a ring from them earlier this year and had no issues, but I knew exactly what I wanted and it was nothing special. With their change in business practices it will likely be my only purchase from them. 

Post # 7
55 posts
Worker bee

What are the business practice changes that cause concern? I too have been looking at their site for my ring purchase.

Post # 9
14 posts
Newbee

We ordered a ring on James Allen this summer. I was not thrilled with the customer service, and our ring came late with no updates or information from them, which for a $5k+ purchase was really disheartening. However, the packaging is beautiful and we love love love the ring itself. We went with a lab diamond, and couldn’t be happier. The setting has a diamond halo with a sapphire falling edge halo.

Post # 10
844 posts
Busy bee

I got my wedding band from James Allen using a 25% off Black Friday promo. My engagement ring is an E in color so most standard diamond bands are more yellow and thus looked really bad next to my diamond. James Allen had a band that was F-G in color so I decided that it would be a good fit. It’s gorgeous – my perfect band. I’ve had it around 4 years and no complaints. 

Post # 12
54 posts
Worker bee

halomylove :  So the issue he ran into was a payment issue. It seems that JA had cancelled the payment. My fiance only realised this when he checked his bank statement the day before the ring was supposed to arrive (one week before we were due to fly to Florence, where he was planning to propose). He immediately contact JA who said that they would still be able to have the ring delivered before we were due to fly and that it was actually already in production (whether or not this was true, we will never know. However it did arrive in time 🙂

In terms of the setting, I love it and think they’ve done a really good job. The diamond has been set well with the prongs very secure (not just bent over the diamond). I love my ring and like I mentioned, get a lot of compliments. We are thinking about buying our wedding bands from them too as I’ve seen one I love!

Post # 13
14 posts
Newbee

halomylove :  everything about the ring itself is wonderful. The diamonds and sapphires all seem very secure, and I’ve been wearing it daily since labor day weekend when he proposed. 

Post # 14
1332 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2005 - A Castle

It’s all about what’s important to you. Some things may not be a big deal to you and that’s ok! I bought my diamond before they started hiding the certs and I chose JA because they have lower colored diamonds (i.e. more choices). 

For me, the whole purpose of shopping online is to be able to do it without being dependent on someone else. I don’t want to have to ask for a certificate; it should be public knowledge. So that might not be a big deal to some, but it’s kind of important to me, especially when I can go to other online vendors and see the info. 

They also joined the same company that owns Kay, Jared, et al. They might not be terrible, but there are way better diamond buying options. It also depends on the shape/cut you’re buying and whether or not you’ll upgrade; some have better upgrade policies than others. If I’m buying a round brilliant, I’m buying from Whiteflash. If I’m buying an antique cut, Im going to Old World Diamonds. Anything else, I’m probably going to Blue Nile. 

ETA: I see you’re talking about lab diamonds. I don’t know much about them, but I like Clean Origin and if I were in the market for an antique cut lab diamond, I’m 100% going to August Vintage. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors