A girl : (8 votes)
    10 %
    I'm happy either way : (20 votes)
    24 %
  • Post # 92
    3110 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2018

@LEwife543:  It is a blood test that serves as genetic screening for baby. Basically, baby’s blood enters your bloodstream via the placenta (about 10% of our blood is now baby’s blood). The lab is able to isolate the baby’s DNA in my blood and look for things such as Down’s Syndrome, trisomy 13 and trisomy 18. And a side benefit of looking at baby’s DNA is that we know the sex! It came onto the market in Oct 2011. I think it is currently being offered to high risk (I am advanced maternal age since I will be 35 when I deliver) moms.

http://www.kndu.com/story/22264692/maternit21-allows-you-to-determine-babys-gender-after-10-weeks

Post # 93
    971 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

@mamadingdong:  Wow that sounds so much safer than amnio!! Awesome

Post # 94
    3110 posts
    Sugar bee

@ames12708:  yeah, zero risk of miscarriage is much more appealing that 1 in 300!

Post # 96
    3110 posts
    Sugar bee

@Lyndzo: 

This is who is eligible:

Advanced maternal age (35 years or older at the time of delivery)
    Family history
    Abnormal prenatal ultrasound findings
    Increased risk based on screening results

Post # 98
    3110 posts
    Sugar bee

@Lyndzo:  That should be no problemo!

Post # 99
    164 posts
    Blushing bee

@Lyndzo:  I’m a Dec mama, also from Canada. Just wanted to chime in that Canada we only have the Verifi test available, which is basically the same test as the Materniti21. You can do it as early as 10 weeks and it also tests for the same things and gives u the gender. However, it is not covered by OHIP, so you have to pay out of pocket. I did it and it was great, simple and fast. The only set back was the $1,700 price tag ๐Ÿ™

Post # 100
    3028 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

@libanez:  But is this anyone’s first pregnancy?   YUP!  I think most women here are first mamas. 

What has been the hardest part so far?  My tits are huge and I too struggle w/ sleeping as well.

@MissyKris:  I am tempted to invite myself over your house and steal food from the fridge!

@mamadingdong:  I now want to know what else is on your list!  I love Hanna Anderson, it was a big deal when I worked in Portland.  They also have (what I would consider) gender netural stuff.  BUT I will also admitt that I did say yesterday that hanging toy metal planes from the ceiling would be gender netural and sure many people would disagree.

Post # 101
    290 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2013

@mamadingdong:  CONGRATS!!!! Yay I think you are the first January momma to know boy or girl!!!

Post # 103
    2440 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

@prettyjen82:  So sorry about your friend.

@aliciapdx:  I got my husband a car, a cheesy hat that says “#1 Dad”, and a little wallet tool kit since he had to throw his away last time we were at the airport.  Then I took him out to dinner.

@MissyKris:  Yes, I’m starting to get really full really fast and the bloat/tightness is almost instant when I eat.

@libanez:  Congrats and welcome!  This is my first pregnancy. The hardest part so far was weeks 5 and 6, I felt tired, a little nauseous, and was crampy all the time.  Plus being my last two weeks of work before summer break it was just exhausting having to do all the wrap up work to finish off the school year with all the symptoms on top of that.  Since being off work I’ve felt great and the nausea went away.

@BookaholicBee:  Yes I’ve gained weight :(.  When I stop eating I feel sick so I find myself snacking constantly.  Since I started swimming again last week I’ve taken off 2 pounds.  As far as big purchases, we’ve already bought a crib, stroller, high chair, convertible car seat, and glider/ottoman.  I’ve been handed down a double electric breast pump, rock n play sleeper, and I’ll be getting a snap n go.  I also bought my diaper bag because I’ve been eyeballing it for a while and it went on sale a couple weeks ago.

Post # 104
    662 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

@mamadingdong:  hi there, Febuary poster here, and just wanted to chime in. I plan on doing the testing, and I don’t fall under any of those qualifications, so the lab where I live (Houston) just charges $150. If insurance covers CF testing it is only $100. Just an FYI to anyone who wants the testing but doesn’t qualify ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 105
    3110 posts
    Sugar bee

@LAZB:  wow! That’s cheaper than my copay!

Post # 106
    3110 posts
    Sugar bee

@EquiBee2013:  thank you!!!! I have been on cloud 9 all day!

The topic ‘January 2014 Babies – Part 6’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors