(Closed) January 2014 Babies – Part 8 Second Trimester Here We Come!

posted 7 years ago in Pregnancy
  • poll: What was your old wive's tale prediction and if you know the gender already was it right?
    Boy! : (11 votes)
    23 %
    Girl! : (9 votes)
    19 %
    Tie/Too Close To Call : (4 votes)
    8 %
    Prediction Was Correct : (1 votes)
    2 %
    Prediction Was Not Correct : (3 votes)
    6 %
    Don't Know The Gender Yet/Not Finding Out Gender : (20 votes)
    42 %
  • Post # 32
    26 posts
    Newbee

Love that comic!

Post # 33
    1178 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2016

@ames12708:  technology has changed but like I said most of the pregnancy books and apps of developement that I have seen all say the parts are just starting to develope at that point, and all babies start out with a male looking part. So technology may advance but that doesnt mean the baby is suddenly developing parts earlier. But to each their own. I was just giving food for thought based on all the information i’ve read about how the parts are just starting to be visable and developing now. sheesh

ETA: how many of those youtube videos confirm at the 20 weeks can they were accurate? I’m not going to sit and google it. I know technology has changed. But everything I’ve read on baby developement says the parts are still boy looking. having done a lot of searching for early gender prediction and having had a ton of early ultrasounds, I never got any answers and I go to a specialty Maternal Fetal clinic. But that’s fine. perhaps its a boy.

Post # 34
    791 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

oh fun roll call!  looks like I’m about 50/50!  Just scheduled my anatomy scan for Aug 23!  I was really hoping to have it done at my 18w appt, but my dr wants me to wait until 20w.  boo!  but on the plus side, I’ll have my 18w appt to check hb, gender scan at 20w, then normal appt at 22w, so we’ll see/hear baby a lot coming up!! 

I had my 14w appointment this morning, and it took a bit to find baby because she was looking too low!  baby was sitting right at my belly button about in the middle.  HB was 161bpm!

How far along are you?  Estimated due date?  14w2d EDD Jan 8, 2014

What baby items have you heard good things about (ie: specific brands that come with great reviews, can’t live withouts from other moms, or other less common but life-saving items)? Nothing specific so far

Old Wive’s Tales Predictions So Far:

1) Baby’s Heart Rate: GIRL- hb at my appointment today was 161bpm!  Down from my last appointment which was 175.

a. BOY= Under 140

b. GIRL= Over 140

2) Needle or Wedding Ring (Take needle or thread and tie to a thread. Hold over belly while laying down):  haven’t tried this yet

a. BOY= Swings Back & Forth

b. GIRL= Swings Circular

3) How are you Carrying: can’t say for sure, but seems to be low so far, so I’m going with BOY

a. BOY= Low

b. GIRL= High

4) Cravings:  both!  Some days I want chips, some days I want fruit

a. BOY= Spicy/Salty & Meats

b. GIRL= Sweets & Fruits

5) Morning Sickness: BOY- hooray for no MS!

a. BOY= None/Little

b. GIRL= Most/Lot

6) Hands: BOY

a. BOY= Dry

b. GIRL= Soft

7) Feet:  GIRL

a. BOY= Colder

b. GIRL= No Different

8) Chest:  GIRL- holy boobs!!

a. BOY= Not Changed Much

b. GIRL= Dramatic Development

9) Hair on Legs:  GIRL

a. BOY= Growing faster

b. GIRL= Same Rate of growth

10) Pillow Position:  BOY

a. BOY= Faces North

b. GIRL= Faces South

11) Addition (add month when conceived + Your age at conception):   BOY

a. BOY= Even Number

b. GIRL= Odd Number

12) Dad’s Weight:  GIRL- he’s on a diet so he’s actually lost about 12lbs.

a. BOY= Puts on Weight

b. GIRL= Doesn’t gain

13) Breasts (Assumes you were equal before):  I wasn’t equal before, so I don’t know for sure.  My left has always been bigger and still is.

a. BOY= Right larger than left or equal

b. GIRL= Left is larger than right

14) Skin on Face:  GIRL- although I think I’m breaking out because it’s so hot and humid here.

a. BOY= Normal

b. GIRL= Breakout more than usual

15) Attitude:  BOY

a. BOY= Same

b. GIRL= Moodier

16) Sleep Position:  GIRL

a. BOY= Left

b. GIRL= Right

17) Balance:  BOY

a. BOY= Clumsy

b. GIRL= Graceful

18) Weight Gain in Face:  BOY

a. BOY= No Change

b. GIRL= Gain

19) Nipples:  BOY

a. BOY= Darker

b. GIRL= No Change/Lighter

20) Key (Drop a key and pick it up):  BOY

a. BOY= Thick end

b. GIRL= Thin End

Post # 35
    971 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

@gpsp2B:  I wasn’t trying to be rude…just offering a differentopinion. =] I didn’t really believe it was possible either until I saw actual U.S. footage confirming it and also the people who posted it commenting after the birth that it was accurate. Maybe they just got lucky who knows. 

Post # 36
    2467 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

@gpsp2B:  @ames12708:  @RedBullFueled:  March mama jumping in! I was very intrigued so I did a literature search – I pasted the abstract from a relevant article below. Looks like at 11wks US isn’t very accurate – 71.9%. At 12 weeks accuracy jumps to 92%, and at 13 weeks it’s 98.3%. Granted, this is going to depend highly on who is doing the ultrasound, and would hold true only if you had a good ultrasound tech. I found this very surprising! I had no idea you could accurately know the gender so early!

Abstract

Background. To survey the accuracy of fetal gender determination during first trimester screening and scan for congenital anomalies.

Methods. A prospective observational study was performed on 496 singleton pregnancies at the first trimester ultrasound screening. The doctor was a certified sonographer of first trimester screening by the Fetal Medicine Foundation (FMF). Ultrasound examination was performed on a GE Voluson 730 Pro, transabdominally, between 11 and 13+6 weeks. Both transverse and mid-sagittal planes of a section of the fetal genital tubercle were performed to identify the gender. The subsequent gender at birth was obtained from karyotyping reports or hospital birth records.

Results. During the study, 496 patients requested gender information at the time of first trimester screening. Of the patients it was possible to determine gender (441 out of 496), the scan achieved an overall success rate of 91.8% in correctly identifying gender. The success rate for correctly identifying fetal gender (where identification was possible) increased with gestational age, from 71.9% at 11 weeks, 92% at 12 weeks, and 98.3% at 13 weeks, respectively, where gestational age was calculated from the crown-rump length in conjunction with menstrual or ovulation dating (p<0.001). Of the 55 cases where no identification of gender was possible, 39 were in the 11-week gestational age group, representing 40.6% of this category. The overall fetal gender accuracy rate for male fetus was slightly better than female (92.5 versus 91.2%), but was not statistically significant.

Conclusions. This study demonstrated that the gestational age of the fetus has a material effect on the accuracy rate of gender determination. At 12 weeks and over, the average success rate for correctly identifying gender, where gender identification was possible, was 94.8%, with the accuracy at 13 weeks of 98.3% approaching that achieved by invasive testing. Fetal gender identification at 11 weeks (where crown-rump length is <57 mm) is difficult and liable to high rates of inaccuracy when a determination is made.

Link: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1080/00016340701571905/abstract;jsessionid=E2D0136C17EE7FF33FA6B352EA83077D.d04t02

Post # 37
    1178 posts
    Bumble bee

@ames12708:  

@bananasareyellow:  

Hmm interesting! I wonder if it’s still new that they’ve realized they can identify gender earlier… i would expect my maternal fetal doctors clinic to be on top of this!!! I feel like I would be so hesitant to believe it that early with it seemingly being very unknown that it can be done early! I finally found out were having a boy yesterday and I want to register NOW. haha. I’m a crazy pregnant lady officially. Oh well now I know so I’m over being mad at my doctors for not knowing this and telling me. Cause I had a scan at 12 weeks and almost 14.. I could have found out damnit!!!!

Post # 38
    8882 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

How far along are you? Estimated due date? 13w5d – Jan 12th

What baby items have you heard good things about (ie: specific brands that come with great reviews, can’t live withouts from other moms, or other less common but life-saving items?) The Mamaroo bouncing chair ๐Ÿ™‚

1) Baby’s Heart Rate:

Girl

2) Needle or Wedding Ring (Take needle or thread and tie to a thread. Hold over belly while laying down):

At 7 weeks it said boy but I did it again at 12 weeks and it was girl

3) How are you Carrying:

Lower – boy

4) Cravings:

Salty – Boy

5) Morning Sickness:

Boy

6) Hands:

Girl

7) Feet:

Girl

8) Chest:

Boy

9) Hair on Legs:

Girl

10) Pillow Position:

I have no clue!

11) Addition (add month when conceived + Your age at conception):

Boy

12) Dad’s Weight:

Girl

13) Breasts (Assumes you were equal before):

Girl

14) Skin on Face:

Girl

15) Attitude:

Girl

16) Sleep Position:

Girl

17) Balance:

Boy

18) Weight Gain in Face:

Boy

19) Nipples:

Girl

20) Key (Drop a key and pick it up):

Boy

Results: 10 GIRL, 8 BOY, 2 not sures

Post # 39
    2467 posts
    Buzzing bee

@gpsp2B:  I have a feeling it is very dependent on how good the US tech is. Reading further, it is indeed the Nub Theory that is used to determine gender at 12-13 weeks, so you need a ultrasonographer versed in Nub Theory and able to get the right view on US to be able to call it that early. I have a feeling that many US techs are hesitant to call it early in case they’re wrong, so they just say they can’t tell and wait for the “goods” to fully develop and until they’re 100% certain before they commit to a gender.

Post # 40
    1178 posts
    Bumble bee

@bananasareyellow:  probably true. i asked my u/s tech if she knew about it and she was kinda like… eeh. i feel like she thought crazy pregnant lady im not telling you the gender yet haha. okay well thanks for the info ill stop threadjacking :]

Post # 41
    2467 posts
    Buzzing bee

@gpsp2B:  Haha ๐Ÿ™‚ Congrats on your little boy! It’s back to the March board for me – thanks January mamas for indulging us interlopers. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 42
    279 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

FINALLY home for some gender quiz fun!

How far along are you?  Estimated due date?  

13 Weeks 3 Days … Due January 14, 2014 ๐Ÿ™‚

What baby items have you heard good things about (ie: specific brands that come with great reviews, can’t live withouts from other moms, or other less common but life-saving items)? 

Most recently the Aden and Anais swaddle blankets…I’ll have to research more about them

1) Baby’s Heart Rate: 

GIRL- HB yesterday was 156

2) Needle or Wedding Ring (Take needle or thread and tie to a thread. Hold over belly while laying down):  

GIRL – This was fun to try and freaked us out a little when it actually started moving haha.  I didn’t tell Darling Husband what we were doing until after because I didn’t want him to subconsciously move it

3) How are you Carrying: 

ummm is WIDE an option?  I don’t really have much in the way of a bump yet so this one I’m going to N/A

4) Cravings: 

GIRL – Can’t get enough fruits and sweets

5) Morning Sickness: 

BOY- none at all

6) Hands: 

GIRL 

7) Feet:  

GIRL

8) Chest:  

BOY – Sadly … the one thing I was looking forward to and instead I just keep frowning at them wishing they would get bigger

9) Hair on Legs: 

GIRL

10) Pillow Position: 

GIRL

11) Addition (add month when conceived + Your age at conception):  

GIRL 

12) Dad’s Weight:  

BOY

13) Breasts (Assumes you were equal before):  

Eh my Rights always been a smidge bigger … so another N/A

14) Skin on Face:  

BOY

15) Attitude: 

BOY

16) Sleep Position:  

GIRL – though I’m trying so hard to get used to sleeping on my left for when I have to

17) Balance:  

GIRL

18) Weight Gain in Face: 

BOY

19) Nipples: 

BOY 

20) Key (Drop a key and pick it up):  

BOY

VERDICT SAYS: 10 – 8 for GIRL!!!  Plus 2 N/A ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 43
    307 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

@AutumnMrs:  Welcome and congrats!

How far along are you?  Estimated due date? 14 weeks! January 10th

What baby items have you heard good things about (ie: specific brands that come with great reviews, can’t live withouts from other moms, or other less common but life-saving items)? Medela Electric Double Pump, my bestie with 4 kids swears by it…

1) Baby’s Heart Rate:

GIRL= Over 140

2) Needle or Wedding Ring (Take needle or thread and tie to a thread. Hold over belly while laying down):

GIRL= Swings Circular

3) How are you Carrying:

a. BOY= Low

4) Cravings:

a. BOY= Spicy/Salty & Meats

5) Morning Sickness:

b. GIRL= Most/Lot

6) Hands:

a. BOY= Dry

7) Feet:

b. GIRL= No Different

8) Chest:

a. BOY= Not Changed Much

9) Hair on Legs:

a. BOY= Growing faster

10) Pillow Position:

????

11) Addition (add month when conceived + Your age at conception):

b. GIRL= Odd Number

12) Dad’s Weight:

a. BOY= Puts on Weight

13) Breasts (Assumes you were equal before):

No change and they were already lopsided…

14) Skin on Face:

b. GIRL= Breakout more than usual

15) Attitude:

a. BOY= Same

16) Sleep Position:

b. GIRL= Right, but Darling Husband doesn’t give me a choice, he’s a big time cuddler…

17) Balance:

b. GIRL= Graceful – I’m usually clumsy, like Darling Husband grips me firmly going down stairs…

18) Weight Gain in Face:

a. BOY= No Change

19) Nipples:

a. BOY= Darker

20) Key (Drop a key and pick it up):

Meh, I would have picked the end for the gender I want…

Boy =  9  Girl = 8

Post # 45
    294 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

I’m 15 weeks and 2 days today. Hooray! Due 1/1/14 

What baby items have you heard good things about (ie: specific brands that come with great reviews, can’t live withouts from other moms, or other less common but life-saving items)?

The whole infant car seat/stroller apparatus blew my mind. I think I decided on the Chicco version?  

1) Baby’s Heart Rate:

It was 150-ish at our last appt, so GIRL.

2) Needle or Wedding Ring (Take needle or thread and tie to a thread. Hold over belly while laying down):

We tried this but it did both, and we both kinda think it’s BS.  PASS.

3) How are you Carrying:

Can’t tell, I’m too fat! PASS.

4) Cravings:

More spicy/salty than sweets, but I can’t get enough fruit either. BOY

5) Morning Sickness:

None/little. BOY

6) Hands:

No change, so not dry? regular soft? GIRL

7) Feet:

No different, GIRL.

8) Chest:

Dramatic development, GIRL

9) Hair on Legs:

Hard to say, cuz my back hurts too much to shave them as regularly as I did before. PASS.

10) Pillow Position:

Huh? I guess it faces North. Well, my body faces North when I lay down, but the pillow is in the south area? I dont know. PASS

11) Addition (add month when conceived + Your age at conception):

Odd number, GIRL.

12) Dad’s Weight:

Hasn’t gained, GIRL

13) Breasts (Assumes you were equal before):

Right is larger, or they’re equal, BOY

14) Skin on Face:

Pretty normal, BOY

15) Attitude:

Same, BOY

16) Sleep Position:

Left, BOY

17) Balance:

Normally neither graceful nor clumsy, no change. PASS

18) Weight Gain in Face:

no change, BOY

19) Nipples:

No change, GIRL

20) Key (Drop a key and pick it up):

Uh, that’s also kinda BS, sorry. PASS.

Welp, that’s 7 for each one, so it’s either a boy OR a girl!!!!  Ha!

Post # 46
    3110 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2018

I’m 15 weeks and 3 days today. Due 1/1/14. I love watching the days tick by. Almost 4 months!

there are a million. My registry is FULL! 

I already know I’m having a boy so I’m being lazy and saying most of them said girl. My skin and glowing and bright and I have had zero morning sickness- so those were correct for a boy. But, my attitude is the PITS, which really is the strongest symptom I’ve got going on these days!

Anyone else hit the second trimester honeymoon phase??? I actually can forget I am pregnant for minutes at a time now!

The topic ‘January 2014 Babies – Part 8 Second Trimester Here We Come!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors