(Closed) JANUARY 2020 POAS – INFERTILITY EDITION (TTC 12+ MONTHS)

posted 2 months ago in TTC
Post # 61
3817 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2016 - Manhattan, NY

scootersandwich :  Congratulations! Very exciting about the 4 normal embabies. Are you finding out the sexes or keeping some part of this involved process a mystery? lol 

I don’t understand inconclusive results. Someone in a group that I belong to had their embryo retested and the results came back inconclusive again. I wish I knew what they ended up doing. 

Post # 62
1863 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2017

scootersandwich :  that’s fantastic news!!! My next CD1 is Jan 19th and I’m going to start another fet protocol, so we’ll be transfer buddies!

redroses76 :  8.2 is awfully low.  But honestly, I’m kinda doing a mind fuck right now. Apparently I ovulated on cd12 this month (confirmed on blood and ultrasound) and I continued to get EWCM for 3 days after! So I’m wondering just how accurate temping is if you have suboptimal progesterone (my P actually went down on 1dpo… which is really confusing).

Post # 63
105 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

ladyvictoria :  Apparently ours was an issue of how ‘clean’ the DNA samples were, they couldn’t get them to multiply enough to test or something like that. I guess a few things could cause it, bad quality embryos, lab contamination, plain bad/weird luck, etc. I’m feeling ok about it knowing we have 4 good ones otherwise, but I’d probably be pretty devastated if that happened to the only ones we had. Not to mention, that was probably about $1,500 worth of tests with nothing useful to show for it.

And we’re definitely not picking out the sex or finding out before the FET, I honestly don’t know what I’d pick anyway. If an embryo ‘takes’ though, we’ll for sure have them tell us then. I feel like that’s one of the very few perks of this whole process, not having to wait for an anatomy scan.

anev :  yay transfer buddies! We’ll probably be pretty close!

Has anyone had a saline sonogram before? I know it’s not supposed to be as bad as an HSG, but I’m now of course getting worked up about it and over-googling.

Post # 64
3817 posts
Honey bee

scootersandwich :  Very interesting. I’m glad it ended up being worth it for you. Our RE didn’t recommend it for us (apparently it’s less reliable when you’re younger) and with all of the conflicting literature about it, I’m fine with skipping it. Not knowing the sex is kind of the last remaining bit of mystery in this whole process! I am looking into NIPT and potentially finding out early though. 

And yes, I had a saline sonogram along with my mock transfer last month. It’s so much better than the HSG because they’re not putting fluid through your tubes. I did have some residual cramping after the fact because they touched the top (or back, I don’t remember) of my uterus for measuring purposes, as they want to avoid that at the real transfer. They warned me that it might cause me to cramp, but it didn’t hurt in the moment for me. So I hope your experience is as easy as mine was. 

AFM, tonight will be my first night of stims! While I am nervous to jump up to 3 injections, I really have come such a long way these past 11 days on lupron. I went from hyperventilating in the lead up to any injection to being able to rationalize and remind myself that it’s just one moment of discomfort and then it’s over. So getting over (or minimizing) one of my biggest phobias feels like such a big feat. Time to grow some eggs! I’ll go in on Monday for bloodwork and then repeat with a scan a couple days later. 

Post # 65
5 posts
Newbee

Hi all! Best of luck to everyone in January.  I roll called early last month which wound up being my first failed IUI. I found out last week that my 2nd IUI also failed, so back here to roll call for my 3rd IUI. I know if this round fails, the RE might start the IVF conversation. I called my insurance company today and found out I will have IVF coverage due to the NY mandate when my plan renews in November.  So realistically I will probably continue IUI cycles/natural cycles until then if I am not successful.

ROLL CALL

Your age/partner’s age: 29/31

Baby #:1

Cycles TTC: 20+

Current CD/DPO: 8

Usual cycle length: 25

Ovulation date or procedure (and what kind): Most likely 1/15

POAS/Beta day: 1/27

Known fertility issues: MFI/varicocele

BFP plan: IUI

Trying anything new this month?: Not really, trying to be a little healthier overall.

For Fun – What are your New Year’s resolutions for 2020? I was never big on new year’s resolutions, but I want to try to travel more and find new hobbies that I enjoy.  I’ve put a lot of things on hold the past few years thinking I’d be pregnant.

Post # 66
1863 posts
Buzzing bee

scootersandwich :  do you know what your fet protocol will be? I haven’t had a saline sonogram but I imagine it was very much like the mock transfer (felt like a Pap smear basically).

Post # 67
412 posts
Helper bee

Hi ladies. My HSG went well yesterday and I have no blockages! I’m relieved and happy that it’s done. The dye went through my right tube immediately but took several more seconds to get through the left. I’m not sure if that means anything, but of course I’m hoping the test flushed things out and my tubes are clearer than ever!

Apart from that, the new school term has been intense and I’m struggling to keep my caffeine intake in check. Is anyone else trying to give it up? I’ve switched from coffee to one cup of black tea per day, for the most part, but I did end up having 3 cups of coffee over this past week. It’s really tough to stop completely! My plan was to transition to decaf tea or green tea (which seems to have so many benefits as well as a relatively small amount of caffeine). But it’s so easy to fall back into the coffee habit. And my pessimistic side wonders if it even makes a difference and why should I be miserable as well as infertile …

Post # 68
1863 posts
Buzzing bee

rosabelle :  glad your hsg went well! Maybe you did have a partial blockage in your left tube that the dye pushed out! Although most people with partly blocked tubes report a lot of pain during the procedure (however it’s never pleasant). As far as caffeine intake, personally I still drink one small cup of coffee per day. (I don’t drink any pop or other caffeinated beverages). If infertility was as simple as cutting out caffeine I think I can safely say these threads wouldn’t exist 🙂

Post # 69
105 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

ladyvictoria :  THank you, super reassuring to hear the sonogram wasn’t a big deal for you. Now I’m just anxious that they’ll find something that will cause an issue. Such a terrible game, every box you check there’s always the next one to start worrying about! 

How’d day 1 of stims go?! I found it easier to prep all my shots then do the injections quickly back to back, it was less intimidating for me than going one at a time.

anev :  I should find out the protocol next week, I’m pretty sure it’s a couple weeks of estrogen then PIO, but he wants to wait to get specific with drugs/timeline until after he sees the sonogram. I’ve been back on BCP since my post-retrieval period started, looking forward to hopefully dumping that soon.

rosabelle :  Lol, Dh just yelled at me the other day for being too neurotic; I already drink almost no caffeine except for one cup of decaf coffee and usually a kombucha everyday (similar amount of caffeine as decaf), and I said I was thinking of backing off heading into my FET. Clearly I’m not practicing what I preach here, but I completely agree that if infertility were as simple as kicking a moderate coffee habit or skipping an occasional glass of wine we all wouldn’t be here! I’m just going to do my best to be healthy-ish and cut back where I can on the “bad” stuff, but not at the expense of my mental sanity, because that can’t be helpful either!

Post # 70
3817 posts
Honey bee

rosabelle :  That’s great news about the HSG! And I am thinking about giving up caffeine starting on the day of my transfer, since they tell you to act (and eat) as though you are pregnant from then on. I don’t drink much as it is – one English Breakfast tea in the morning and the occasional Starbucks latte, but that’s not often. I’ve been searching around for pregnancy safe options and Pink Stork has a few pregnancy teas. Also a lot of people recommend David’s Tea. I think if you know what to avoid, like hibiscus and licorice root, you can find some good options out there. There’s just so much unknown about herbal teas that most people seem to stick to what’s safe – ginger, peppermint, etc. 

AFM, I survived my first night of stims! It’s definitely a good thing that I’ve been doing Lupron injections leading up to this. The LDHCG used the same size needle so that was easy. The Gonal F pen is not my favorite thing in the world though. The Gonal stung for a little bit and the injection site felt sore for about 30 minutes afterwards. But it really wasn’t so bad. I think of all the poor women doing PIO shots to the butt and I feel much better about my situation lol On to night two! 

ETA

scootersandwich :  I know what you mean. I was so nervous about them finding a cyst on my ovary or something at my baseline scan but thankfully, everything was fine. And thank you! I also had my husband prep all of the injections first so he could do one after the next. I can’t imagine waiting in between, that would just make me anxious lol 

Post # 71
1863 posts
Buzzing bee

ellebee116 :  sorry your second iui didn’t work, FX for the third!

scootersandwich :  it’s good you don’t have to wait for CD1, as awful as bcp is. I expect my estrogen priming will start Jan 20th. Hopefully you have an unremarkable ssg 

ladyvictoria :  glad the shots went well!

Post # 72
3817 posts
Honey bee

anev :  Thank you, I am too! 

Post # 74
412 posts
Helper bee

anev :   scootersandwich :  ladyvictoria : I absolutely agree – if only infertility could be overcome by something as simple as giving up coffee we wouldn’t be here. I think I fixate on these little things because so much else is out of my control. But then I feel guilty when I do have an occasional cup of coffee, and that’s no way to live! I think I’ll keep up my tea habit but not worry when I feel like having coffee once in a while. I agree that David’s Tea makes some delicious options; I love their Toasted Walnut green tea.

Post # 75
412 posts
Helper bee

redroses76 :  Ugh, sorry you are feeling so miserable today. I hope you have good meds for that migraine! Hugs and feel better soon.

The topic ‘JANUARY 2020 POAS – INFERTILITY EDITION (TTC 12+ MONTHS)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors