(Closed) January in Ireland & Scotland

posted 6 years ago in Travel
  • poll: Recommend a Destination
    Oh, go for Ireland and Scotland--you might freeze to death, but it's worth it! : (3 votes)
    21 %
    London is perfect for theater types like you and a not as muddy. : (1 votes)
    7 %
    Morocco will rock your world! : (1 votes)
    7 %
    Safari is the experience of a life time for you two! : (1 votes)
    7 %
    Greece is the perfect combination of sun and culture. : (6 votes)
    43 %
    Spain will capture your heart. : (1 votes)
    7 %
    Do what your grandparents did and fall in love with Vienna. : (0 votes)
    Other...Have I got a suggestion for you! Let me tell you about... : (1 votes)
    7 %
  • Post # 3
    1830 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

My only concern with doing Ireland and Scotland in January is that your days are going to be very, very short!   I lived in London and in January, the sun doesn’t rise until 8:00 a.m. and sets at about 3:30 pm….. which does not give you very many daylight hours to do things.  Ireland will be similar, Scotland’s days will be even shorter.   

I went to Scotland in February for a weekend and it was brutally cold – I’m a Chicago girl so for me to say it was brutally cold, you KNOW it was cold!   

If at all possible, I would push off Ireland and Scotland until August as your days will be very long (think daylight starts at around 5:30 – 6:00 and sunset is around 8:30 – 9:00).  Weather is always variable and never dependable but it will more than likely not be freezing cold.  Also, as both countries are heavy on the natural beauty, you will probably want to spend a lot of time outdoors exploring the gorgeous countryside.  I’m just not sure January is the right time to be doing that. 

If you still want to do January, what about looking at southern Europe where the weather is a bit milder?  Spain and Portugal are lovely as is Italy.  Croatia and Bosnia are amazing countries as are Turkey and Greece. 

Post # 4
    48 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2013

As long as you bring all- weather clothing and din’t mind if it’s crazy windy you should be fine – and let me add that waiting til August doesn’t guarantee better weather! Make a list of all the things you want to definitely see both in Ireland and Scotland and then see how far apart they are. If you’re mainly doing Kerry and then up along the coast to Dublin, hopping over to Scotland either by ferry or plane should be no problem. Or driving up to Belfast, the ferry only takes about 2 hours. Not the best option of you want to go all the way up into the Highlands, a plane to Edinburgh would be your better option then. But if you want to do the Isles and Edinburgh at the end that’d work out no problem!

Post # 5
    8430 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

@Ree723:  I agree- it will be really cold and the days will be short. Also there are often road closures and if it is a bad year you will also have snow and ice to contend with. Black ice on the roads can make driving really dangerous for those who aren’t used to it. Add to that rain rain and some more rain it can make sight seeing uncomfortable (some of the best things to see in Ireland are literally in paddocks).

Post # 6
    343 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

Cold, windy and wet will be the three main problems with Scotland and Ireland in Jan/Feb! Wink Cities will be OK, but anything countryside based could be a bit miserable.

Post # 9
    8738 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

@1920cottagegirl:  Have you thought about Africa? You could hike Kilimanjaro and do a safari. You could also visit some of the Maasai villages and go to Olduvai Gorge, “the cradle of mankind”.

Jan/Feb is the perfect time to go to Africa as it is very warm and all the animals are around. 

We just got back from Tanzania and it was incredible. I’ve posted several recaps of our trip, if you look in my profile you can find them.

Or if you want good theater and culture you could go to London. It’d still be cold and the days would still be short but there is a lot to do after the sun goes down and SO much good theater.

Post # 10
    224 posts
    Helper bee

what about Prague?? it’s gorgeous!

friends of mine love Berlin and another says Bucharest in Romania is her favourite city in the world! Or Athens? I’d love to go and see all the culture there.

Most places in Europe that aren’t in the Med are a bit chilly in January. Ireland and Scotland, although nice, are probably best visited in the summer.

Post # 11
    482 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

erm, january in Ireland and scotland- I dont know…

I’m from Ireland and my Fi’s family are all scottish, both GORGEOUS, Fabulous countries but january is a miserable month in both. I hate Ireland in January-

The PPs are right, it gets dark there at about 3.30pm in January, Its also very cold and downright depressing after Xmas

in the summer on the other hand it gets dark at 10.30-11pm at night!

I wouldn’t suggest it I’m sorry ๐Ÿ™

Ive travelled all over europe, been to almost every eurpoean country lived in several and I can totally recommend Austria, Prague or Budapest  in Jan ๐Ÿ˜€

Post # 12
    7779 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

I live north of London and I don’t see any reason why I would want to vacation here in January. It’s wet, cold, gray and the days are super short, just like the PPs said. The UK is gorgeous, but if you really want to come here then I would wait until August.

If you are set on January, I’d check out Italy, Greece or Spain. You’re still going to have good weather going any of those places. Plus, you can do the beach thing, but you have other choices too.

Santorini is one of my top places I want to visit while we live here.

Post # 13
    482 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

yes I agree with the PP

Ive lived in France and Greece and my folks have a house in spain all-are fab in jan, certainly not scalding hot but better than blizzards and short days… Id get out of athens pretty quickly though and head down to the islands, they will be very quiet in jan but pleasurable.

Spain and France border with skiing in the pyrenees and a visit to the south west france would be lovely- or south of spain, get a speedboat over to morrocco to for a serious cutural onslaught!

Post # 15
    8430 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

Why not Portugal or Spain? or Morocco.

Otherwise you could always go to Asia- Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia.

The topic ‘January in Ireland & Scotland’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors