Post # 1
My husband is about ready to graduate from in Master’s program in civil engineering and he was offered a job last week! He decided to take it since he’s had no other offers or interviews lined up. The only down fall is that we’d move three hours away to a smaller community and I’d have to look for a job.
Yesterday when I got home from work he told me that a company who had his resume on file called him and said they really wanted to interview him for a position plus it’s local so we wouldn’t have to move and I wounldn’t need to find a new job. Then his old boss called and said that one of their engineers is planning to move to California and they might need someone to fill his spot (they’ll know for sure by tomorrow). So now we have a real possibility in staying put and being closer to both of our families.
So long story short….how bad is it to committ to one job and later canceling due to finding a job that is better for you? I know that sometimes that’s life and you have to take a chance and burn a bridge but I was wanting an HR’s professional’s opinion.
Thank you so much!
(FYI: Although I see this as a slight problem I do realize how incredibly lucky we are to be in this position while there are so many people out there who are unemployed.)
Post # 3
I would phrase it very carefully and give the first company ample time. Recruiting takes time and can be costly. Ultimately, your husband’s reputation is on the line. If the word gets around that he retracted an offer, his credibility will be tainted. You never know how people network and know one another. If you and your husband are confident that these two potential leads are better for you two and he can envision a long-term career with either one, I think this hiccup will be long forgotten when he wants to make the next move. I would err on being apologetic and explaining why you two are making this decision. G’luck!
Post # 4
I happens a lot more than you think. And while us on the HR side are not thrilled when it happens, we understand that things do happen. I know in my company when this happens, we just got back through the submitted resumes and repost the positon. There is really no financial loss, just time loss. If he accepts the job, I would give an estimated start date about a month out so that gives him time to investigate the possibilities of those other two jobs. And if you husband does retract his acceptance on the offer I would make sure he just tells the truth about being closer, more money, and the best thing for his family.
Post # 5
Luckily time is on our side because his start date with the job he accepted is for May 23rd so he’s telling the other companies that he needs to have an answer by at least April 23rd but we both hope he would find out sooner than that!
Post # 6
@hrev2010- Good luck! I am reopening a position as we speak because someone retracted an accepted offer this week. As an HR professional I am a little annoyed at the extra work lol, bu I completly understand that things happen.