Joining My May 2017 Bees!

posted 3 years ago in May 2017
Post # 2
157 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

I am waiting so long because I want to wait to graduate from college. I will be graduating from nursing school in May 2017 and plan to get married a week or two later!

Post # 3
1337 posts
Bumble bee

We are shooting for May/June 2017 🙂 We are very long distance right now, NYC to Scotland. May/June is right after I will submit my doctoral dissertation, but right before I defend it, so the wedding will take place right after I move back to the States but before my degree, so my name will be changed. Gives us a good amount of time to save for the wedding!

Post # 4
157 posts
Blushing bee

tjacob2014:  I agree on the saving part! It is helping out alot in that aspect. I would have to cut down alot if I wanted it in a year!

Post # 5
116 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

We are just waiting on ring for official engagement, but we want to get married in May but in May 2016 my best friend gets married and my sister will be finishing her degree so we decided to push back to 2017!

More planning and saving time, plus I am starting the diet now in hopes that when I go dress shopping in a year or so time I will look even better (hopefully!). Is anyone else slimming down for their wedding?

Post # 7
9 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2017 - Azle Deer Cove

May 21st, 2017 for us!! So excited!

Post # 8
305 posts
Helper bee

We chose May 2017 mainly due to my health. Im going thru an aggressive & rough treatment (This month marks 3 years of it so far) & while hopefully it should be totally successful this year there’s no set timeline. We can’t predict when it will finally go into remission so May 2016 felt like too much pressure. And this way my FI will graduate this year with no extra stress & our wedding will be a wonderful reward/life celebration for me & my family! 

KellieS:  OMG! we’re date twins! We just decided on that Sunday! 

Post # 9
121 posts
Blushing bee

May 6th, 2017 🙂 We recently booked our destination wedding location. We decided to wait because it would give us more time to save up, and we’re not in a hurry (but we are really excited!!!). It also took 8 months to actually decide what we wanted. It was also a bit of a challenge to announce our engagement as we wanted to tell as many people as we could in person, and our closest family is a 4 hour drive away. I liked May 6th because our anniversary is already April 6th, which is close. We may also decided to get legally married in Canada on April 6th, and have the wedding celebration at our destination. 

Post # 10
7 posts
Newbee

May 6, 2017!! We are waiting to be done our college programs. May 6th being our dating anniversary, we were so excited to see that it fell on a Saturday in 2017! 🙂

We want to save as much money as we can for a down payment on a house, so we are keeping the wedding small. We’ll have <40 guests (including wedding party) and it’ll be held in the backyard of FI’s childhood home… FIL’s a great cook and has offered to BBQ for everybody, so we’ll save on catering, too. It should be fun and intimate!

Post # 11
121 posts
Blushing bee

trillium:  Hello fellow bee, looks like we will be date twins! Congratulations on your engagement 🙂

Since I will be getting my legal marriage certificate in Canada prior to my destination wedding, I thought it would be nice if me and my FI did this on our anniversary also. Because this would not give us enough time to submit our marriage certificate to the resort if we did it in 2017, we have actually just been discussing having the “court house wedding” this April 6th, 2016, then our actual wedding still May 6th, 2017.

Love your idea to keep it small and intimate. I have come across so many great DIY projects on pinterest for “backyard” weddings. Enjoy the planning process! This Monday I will finally be talking to my wedding planner, wish me luck! 

Post # 12
7 posts
Newbee

chelsy33:  Nice! I am also Canadian. I didn’t realize how expensive it is to get an officiant… My parents paid less than $150 when they eloped, 25 years ago…  Now we’re looking at +$500 for the bare minimum (license, officiant, certificate). Seems ridiculous.

Good luck for Monday! 🙂

Post # 13
155 posts
Blushing bee

FI and i are getting married may 5th 2017. we originally wanted sept 2016 but it made more sense to wait (what feels like forever) because the longer we wait the more we save and get to make our wedding special and get every aspect of it right. Plus we wanted to do something really great for our honeymoon like a 2week trip to Europe so thats why we decided to wait.

Post # 14
265 posts
Helper bee

Month twins, yay! May 13,2017 so excited only 16 months to go!

Post # 15
121 posts
Blushing bee

trillium: Nice to meet another fellow Canadian bride! I hear you about the expenses! I clearly had a very unrealistic picture. I thought I could do it all for half as much as I had originally hoped, but that isn’t happening. I’m still looking for smaller ways to cut costs, such as purchasing a bouquet of artificial flowers instead of natural flowers (I am not crazy about flowers, and have allergies anyways!). Half the cost of my wedding however will be the honeymoon, so I am okay spending the money on us having that experience as opposed to for flowers that last one day. 

I also think the fees for my “courthouse wedding” will also be similar… seems so expensive just for a piece of paper that makes things official. 

My parents spent $2000 24 years ago and had a wonderful wedding in Costa Rica; church, venue, catering, the whole 9 yards. If I wanted to have the same now, it’d probably cost me $20 000… 🙁

I love your backyard wedding idea, I’m from Northern Ontario, and both mine and my FI’s parents still live up North. It would have been perfect for us to do that, but our families are much too large (I’m talking 500+ on each side) for me to keep things intimate like I wanted. Let me know how your planning goes, and thanks for the luck! 🙂

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors