(Closed) Jointly filingTaxes for the first time?

posted 5 years ago in Married Life
Post # 3
2515 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

if you’re not itemizing then do them yourself. filing jointly doesn’t add any difficulty to doing them. don’t pay someone to do them for you. it’s not worth it. i’ve always done my own taxes and after we got married, i do them jointly. i go through the IRS website and e-file them. 

ETA- i do them myself because we don’t have any property either. we claim the standard deduction because there’s nothing to itemize. if we owned a house, i would probably have someone prepare them for me (depending on how much more difficult it would be).

Post # 4
2622 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Turbo Tax is just fine. I have used the premium additions even when I was a landlord. Its a good idea to do your own so you can see how your decisions affect your taxes. 

My father uses turbo tax and he has verrrrry complicated taxes and it works for him very well. He can often do the taxes better than an actual tax accountant because he knows his own business, properties, investments, strategies etc.  So its not the software that anyone should worry about, but the person using it. 

Yours are simple so save yourself the trip and money and use TurboTAx



Post # 5
3226 posts
Sugar bee

I worked for a CPA for 3 years and for your type of return,  you could really do it yourself. I would recommend at CPA though if you want to go professional. At times, it could even be cheaper than H&R Block.

Post # 6
1562 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Definetly use Turbotax – in a case like yours, they will walk you step by step through the input, and the only complex item is your HSA.

Post # 8
1760 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I would run through turbo tax, see what the numbers say… Then maybe run it by an H&R block person to ease hubby’s mind. Ours here will look at your tax papers for free or a small amount to see if anything is majorly wrong. 

Post # 9
4337 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

We had this same discussion – I am very comfortable filing taxes myself and Darling Husband is very skittish. We’ve agreed that this year, I can do them, but if we ever have more complicated situations or things I’ve never encountered, we’ll get them done professionally.

I plan to run the standard deduction and itemized deductions to see which is better for us, since Darling Husband has school loans.

Post # 10
752 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I do my own taxes and they are slighly complicated by business expenses, rental property, etc.

My Darling Husband was extremely uncomfortable with taxes until we sat down and did them together.  It really opened his eyes to deductions and has helped him help me at gathering documentation over the year.

I wish there was a required high school class to show kids how to do taxes.  Most folks taxes really aren’t hard.  Even middle class folks can take advantage of breaks…they aren’t just for rich people.

Turbo tax or other software is fine.  If you meet a certain level income you can also file them for free with those softwares.

Post # 11
16213 posts
Honey Beekeeper

We thought we’d have to get someone to help us with our first year filing together but we did it through TurboTax with no problems at all. I’d recommend going that route since it sounds like your return will be fairly straightforward.

Post # 12
4583 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

TurboTax worked fine for us.

Post # 13
1096 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I used the free H&R block software before we got married but Darling Husband wanted to goto H&R block after we got married so we did. It sucked, I paid $85 for the woman to go down the same list of questions that the software asked me. No insight, no thoughts as to what else we needed to do, nothing. So even though we purchased a house this year I am going to be using TurboTax Deluxe. 

Post # 14
6124 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

TurboTax or TaxAct would be just fine.  I don’t think you can claim books for anything, but you should have received the form that says tuition paid.  The HSA will ask several questions like did you have the HDHP the entire year, etc.  I just did it for my H’s HSA plan.

Post # 15
900 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Before I was married, I ownded a house, paid on student loans (interest deduction), rented an old condo, got my educator’s credit, got my first-time buyer’s credit in 2010, and deducted some of my grad schol expenses–and I always did my own taxes online through the HRblock website (for free, because I used to make just under $55,000 a year).  It was super simple. 

Since this year, I’m married and Darling Husband makes 3 times what I make, we’ll have to pay to E-file, but we’ll still do it ourselves, either using turbotax or HRblock online.

You can totally do it yourself with software–it prompts you through everything you’d ever need.

The topic ‘Jointly filingTaxes for the first time?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors