(Closed) July 18 2009 in Vermont too

posted 10 years ago in July 2009
Post # 3
174 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

You’re growing all you flowers for <span class=”Apple-style-span” style=”font-style: italic”>this summer? hoo boy! Where are you located in VT?

I’m a gardener. Planted a vegetable and a perennial garden in northern Vermont last summer for my sister’s August wedding in Stowe. And now I’m getting married there this July. So, here’s my advice:

The growing season is short for Vermont, particularly anywhere north of roughly Rutland or if you are at higher elevation. You will need to start all your flowers indoors in flats and possibly repot them before planting outside. Last year I found a seed starting worksheet online at http://www.organicgardening.com Message me back if you would like my version that I set up in Excel –I can send a blank one or the version with the seeds I started last year. Organic Gardening (mag) is a great resource. Also check out the UVM Extension office for the frost free date for your area.

The fastest growing plant I had from seed was bee balm. It filled in nicely, grew like a weed, and had to be cut back a bit by August. Some of my other perennials exhibited 1st year growth as expected (black eyed susan, purple coneflower); I anticipate them to be much more robust this summer. I sowed zinnias directly, but they were barely in bloom by early August. Perhaps I should have started them indoors or perhaps all that rain VT got in July delayed growth.

I would check with a local nursery for specific species that will be in bloom in your area. I am specifically looking for orange flowers in bloom in mid July and I am going to call a couple of nurseries for that info. 

Good luck! 

The topic ‘July 18 2009 in Vermont too’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors