(Closed) July 2015 Mamas – Part 3 – Welcome to the 2nd trimester!

posted 5 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 466
1503 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2008 - Toronto, ON

So I went with my friend and created a baby registry and started looking at baby furniture and strollers and I bought the stroller over the weekend. My dad offered to pay for the stroller but the price was too good to pass up, I ended up getting the stroller from Sears and Babies R Us had it for $175 dollars more. Now my dad says he will help me with the baby furniture which will be more expensive anyway, so I lucked out! lol

Post # 467
285 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

lavenderskies:  Oh my goodness, I’m thinking of you and your husband. What a lot to go through in such a short period of time. I must say you are handling it really well. I can tell you’ll be a great mommy! <3

Post # 470
571 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

ShellVee:  It is still good to write stuff down and get things off your chest. Even if you don’t need advice for the situation. It seems that even when you think you are having a normal birth things can just change. But hopefully your prenatal classes can help with both sides and might ease your mind a bit. 

I’m finally seeing the end of the tunnel where it comes to our nursery. We had a bunch of work to do on it.  Our house is older and had the closet doors that go from floor to ceiling.  So my husband had to take those out, build a bulk head, drywall, mud and sand it and order new doors. So that part is done and the room was primed yesterday too. So now we just have to install the closet doors, put up the crown molding, paint and have the electrician put a ceiling light in and install that.  Then I get to decorate. It still sounds like a lot but having the construction part done makes it seem better. 

I am having two baby showers because my family lives two hours away from my husbands family and the first one is on the 18th. I would love to have somewhere to put stuff. 

Post # 471
2211 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

MRS-K:  Yay for finally finding out that you’re having a little guy!  And weird that the doctor didn’t seem to understand pretty clear instructions.  … is not boy or girl.  Ha.

My Darling Husband and I are taking a lamaze based birthing class (an updated sort of version; their tagline is “not your ma’s lamaze”) and I feel like it will be pretty useful when the time comes.  We decided to take this class instead of my healthcare system’s class because it seemed like it would have more coping information that would be applicable for the unmedicated birth I’m aiming for.

Post # 472
2211 posts
Buzzing bee

lavenderskies:  Thinking of you.  Life is really pouring on you right now.  *hugs*

Post # 473
2211 posts
Buzzing bee

ShellVee:  I’m sorry to hear you got this news that doesn’t fit with your birth plan.  ๐Ÿ™

This may or may not be helpful, but here’s an acronym from my childbirth education class that can be applied to any care giver recommendation during labor and delivery:

First:  Are mom and baby both OK?  (I would probably say yes in the case of your doc’s recommendation at this point)

Then:

B:  Benefits – what are they?

R:  Risks – what are they?

A:  Alternatives – what are they?

I:  Instinct – what does my gut tell me?

N:  Next – what might come next if we do this?

Post # 474
320 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I can’t believe how many are moving now! I’m so glad that when we bought our hosue 2 years ago that we bought a “forever” house.  Not ever planning on moving – we have lots of space in the house and a huge fenced in yard. I guess that’s the perk of not buying a house til you’re in your 30s (mid 30s for DH).

redux:  So exciting about the new house and finding a good daycare. 

lavenderskies:  So sorry to hear about all the extra stress you have!  Hopefully your baby keeps developing normally- and your husband has a speedy recovery.  Must be so hard on you with the move too!  Sending healing and positive thoughts your way.

tracylesq:  Good luck with your move too!  That’s even more work with a little kid!

Post # 475
320 posts
Helper bee

MRS-K:  Sounds like a win on the furniture!

ShellVee:  It is totally ok to be upset – and sometimes you jsut need to let it out.  If you want an active birth, then don’t let them push you because of the “chance” of a c-section.  You know? Do what’s best for you and a little more research on your own.  Sorry they’re putting so much stress on you.  Sounds like most of the reason that doctors/medical professionals are covering themselves more than thinking about what is best for you.  Ina May’s book may have biased me a little.  Just make the decision you are comfortable with and make it an informed one- nothing wrong with an epidural, just make sure you’re making the decision best for you!  I like Domestic Diva’s suggestion of thinking through those questions.

Post # 476
320 posts
Helper bee

I’ve been a little out of the loop recently, life has been pretty busy. I’ve been to Baltimore, Detroit, and Houston for work in the last week – plus I’m still taking MBA classes…  Baby has been moving around more and more, which is weird and cool all at once. 

We finally picked out a color for the nursery – and I’m going with my mom and cousin’s wife to IKEA in a few weeks to get a dresser and a few other things.  I still can’t believe there’s a baby coming – I mean I realize there is, but it still doesn’t feel real.

I’m dredging the glucose test.  I hate needles and I am a terrible stick.  If i have to take the 3 hour test it is my worst nightmare.  Having to have someone get blood four times in 3-4 hours is not going to be pretty.  It took them 3 sticks to get my initial blood work… I wish they could just do a finger prick… its good enough for diabetics on a daily basis.  Any suggestions on what to eat before the test?

Post # 477
211 posts
Helper bee

@lavenderskies: Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear how rough things have been.  Hoping things are beginning to look up for you; that is a lot to deal with at once.  

glacier_gal:  I am also dreading the glucose test.  I’ve only just started having any days where I don’t throw up and that glucose drink looks like such a trigger :-/  I asked about alternative tests (like jelly bean test) but my OB’s practice doesn’t do them since it’s harder to compare results.  From what I’ve read, it’s best to eat a light, no-carb, high-protein breakfast the morning of (depending on what time your test is and whether your doctor asked for fasting), and a low-carb, high-protein dinner the night before to give you the best shot at passing.  I am also planning to bring a high-protein snack for after the test since I typically get a really nasty sugar crash after I have something sweeter than I’m used to.

Post # 478
515 posts
Busy bee

I just took the one-hour and three-hour tests yesterday and today.

In my first pregnancy, I failed the one and passed the three. So to try to pass the one, I basically went no-carb and fasted for 14 hours before the one-hour. BIG MISTAKE. I don’t know what the fuck happened but I scored a 203. Under 135 is passing. Yikes. They diagnosed me on the spot and told me that with a blood sugar level over 200, there’s no need to even take the three-hour.

Well, given that I passed the three and had a smallish baby the first time around, my doctor let me come back this morning and take the three-hour. I ate normally the rest of the day yesterday and fasted for 10 hours. I passed the first three draws with flying colors, and they sent me home.

For me, downing the drink was nothing. I had it gone in under a minute each time. The draws suck, but I am so used to it. For me, one more day of guzzling glucose and pokes was worth three months of restriction and dieting and pricking my finger 4x a day.

So yeah. Just FYI, it’s common to fail the one and pass the three. The test is not that bad. 

Post # 479
320 posts
Helper bee

redux:  Its not so much the test… as having more blood drawn.  I’ve been lucky to be at a practice that doesn’t do many blood tests… 

The topic ‘July 2015 Mamas – Part 3 – Welcome to the 2nd trimester!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors