(Closed) July 2015 Mamas – Part 3 – Welcome to the 2nd trimester!

posted 5 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 481
571 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

glacier_gal:  littlestcapy:  redux: I am planning on doing my glucose test this week.  I was definitely thinking about what to eat as well and was going to go with eggs in the morning.  I didn’t even think about carbs at all.  I was going to eat something whole wheat but maybe I will rethink that.   

Post # 482
593 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I did the one hour glucose twice with my first pregnancy and once so far with this one.  I have family history of diabetes and a high BMI so they test me early.  I’ve passed each time with flying colors.  Still had a huge baby, but whatever.  

I’ve always scheduled mine early in the day and had eggs and water before hand.  I’ve also cut back on carbs the night before.  But in general, I’m a carboholic.  I had a friend fast and low carb it and take it late in the day and she flunked the 1.  In my experience, fasting is not recommended.  It will invariably elevate your sugar levels in an inaccurate way.

Good luck!  I take the 1 again in two weeks.  

Post # 483
320 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I have a baby shower related question.  My mom suggested throwing my baby shower at my house.  (I would not be hosting or organizing or anything – she’s throwing with my cousin’s wife).  We have a pretty big house and a large yard – so we easily have the space to do it either inside or outside.  We host most of our family gatherings at our house.

I feel like it is a little weird, like it will look like I’m throwing myself a shower.  What do other people think? My mom pointed out that then we won’t have to move gifts back to my house, which isn’t a big deal to me.

What do other people think? I don’t know that she shared this idea with my cousin’s wife yet, and I’m hoping that she offers to host at their house.

Post # 484
571 posts
Busy bee

glacier_gal:  I am not sure how I would feel about that either. I can see what you mean about it looking like you are throwing it because it is at your house.  I would probably want it somewhere else too. 

Post # 485
571 posts
Busy bee

So I just did the glucose test. I don’t know my results yet because they get sent to my midwife so I will know next week. Anyway I had eggs, bacon and water for breakfast about an hour before I went. The drink wasn’t too bad. I guess I had expected something way worse because of all the stories.  For me it was the in between that was terrible.  I had to actually go lay down because I felt like I was going to either throw up or pass out. If you throw up you have to start all over again.  The baby was moving like crazy as well. Probably because of all the sugar. After about ten minutes of laying down I felt better and now that I have had a snack I feel okay again.  I hope to god I pass because if I can barely handle the one hour I am sure the two hour will be worse. 

Post # 486
593 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

glacier_gal:  It’s a little weird for it to be at your own house, but not unthinkable.  I’d still probably feel like host since it’s my house and I know where everything is, etc.  Plus cleaning aND prepping before?  Hopefully they come up with something that works.  

mckeestephanie:  That’s how I felt when I did it, but I wasn’t feeling well to begin with.  I had to put two chairs together to put my feet up.  It passed after a bit.  

Post # 487
515 posts
Busy bee

glacier_gal:  I’ve been to showers that were at the mom-to-be’s house simply because of logistics (the host lived on the opposite side of the metro area than everyone else invited), and it was not weird at all. It did not give off the impression of the pregnant woman throwing her own shower — not at all. I agree that having to clean/prep the house for guests would suck, but the other part I wouldn’t worry about!

Post # 489
211 posts
Helper bee

glacier_gal:  My shower will also be at my house, hosted by my mom and 2 SILs.  All 3 live out of town and it’s silly to do a shower at a paid venue when my house is big enough!  2 of my friends have had showers at their houses, hosted by others, because the hosts were out of town (one) or because she was more comfortable not carting gifts back and forth…so I think it’s becoming more common.  I felt weird about it initially but I talked to a couple of friends and they thought it was perfectly fine, so I’ve come around.  My aunts are actually excited because this way they get a sneak peek at the nursery, too!

Post # 490
211 posts
Helper bee

mckeestephanie:  Ugh, I am totally dreading this.  I still struggle with fluids especially so I know this is going to stink for me.  I’ll just take Zofran before and hope for the best, I guess!

Post # 491
571 posts
Busy bee

littlestcapy:  I downed the drink and apparently you have five minutes to finish it. So maybe that is something you could try different then what I did. Good Luck. 

Post # 492
2211 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I have to take my glucose test tomorrow morning before my checkup and reading all of these stories is making me freak out a little!  Though, I’m mostly just hoping I pass. Don’t have any reason to think I won’t, but you just never know…

I keep thinking about what to have for breakfast and am not sure…I usually have cereal, but that’s not going to help the sugar situation.  Will probably go with eggs, a la <br /> mckeestephanie.

Post # 495
2211 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

glacier_gal:  I also think this isn’t that weird.  I had a friend whose mom and sister hosted her shower at her downtown Chicago apartment because people were coming from different places and neither the mom or sis lived in the area.

ShellVee:  Glad they are backing off from the epidural!  The fact that you can feel while pushing is the exact reason why I’m hoping not to get one…because the last thing I want is a C-section.  But, we’ll see how that goes. 

I think it’s just crazy that they were trying to get you to have an epidural off the bat just in case of a worst case scenario…face value, it just sounds like convenience for them.  If there really is a true emergency and no time for an epidural, I hear that they will put mom completely out for a c-section, which isn’t optimal, but you never know when an emergency will happen.

Good point on GD being rarer than everyone says it is.  Got my test results back this afternoon and I’m in the clear!  Whew.  ๐Ÿ™‚

The topic ‘July 2015 Mamas – Part 3 – Welcome to the 2nd trimester!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors