(Closed) June 2012 — when are you doing alterations?

posted 7 years ago in June 2012
Post # 3
3121 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

No way is it crazy!  I’m doing Bridal Portraits end of April, so we’re starting alterations in February. 

ETA:  Feel like I need to be more specific.  The first time I will ever put on MY dress will be in February.  We’ll then likely do one again in April 2 weeks before portraits (first pressing) then again 2 weeks before the wedding.  Hope this helps!

Post # 4
2714 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Wowza, honestly I haven’t even thought about this yet!! I’m getting my alterations done by a family friend who is a seamstress so I don’t think I need much more than the 6 weeks that TK suggests. I trust her to get it done on time. πŸ™‚ Also, my dress hasn’t arrived yet so I’m not sure what kind of alterations I am going to need.

Since you know you need a lot done and weight isn’t an issue (that would be my only hesitation)… then I think you can go ahead and get it out of the way. Just make sure you try it on again closer to your wedding date for any other last minute alterations you might need!

Post # 5
177 posts
Blushing bee

I just went and tried on my actual dress and the consultant told me to call about 3 months out from the wedding to schedule the 1st fitting si I’m going to call beginning of March.  You’re better safe than sorry! πŸ™‚

Post # 6
10714 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

I’m waiting till the last possible moment because it’s a zipper and what it’s final fit is like is very very important! 

My dress however needs a lot of work! It also has a ton of detail so waiting till the last possible moment is still 10 weeks before the wedding or more. I’ll leave it up to the dress people to tell me my best bet on alteration times.

Post # 7
2425 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

My bridal shop also told me about 3 months out is a good timet to start πŸ™‚ I’m out of town though so I may have to start even earlier…

Post # 8
1734 posts
Bumble bee

You’re not crazy at all! You have your dress, so the next natural thing to think about is when it’s going to actually look like “your dress” — the one in which you’ll walk down the aisle.

The ladies at my place recommended that I call to make a fitting appointment in early or mid April. I don’t anticipate that much will need to be done to mine, though. We ordered it six inches shorter than standard, because apparently I am a frigging midget, but the length is perfect as is. It’s also comfortable at the waist, which means that I need to not gain weight between now and then, LOL! It’ll need to be nipped in at the bust, because I’m pear-shaped, but hopefully that should be about it.

In short — since you have a lot you want done to yours, you’ll be doing alterations at a high-volume place, and you’re in a peak time for wedding alterations — calling in March sounds good. You can explain to them what you want then, and they can schedule you in the timeframe that works for both of you.

Post # 9
2697 posts
Sugar bee

I got quotes at two places–one a bridal salon that said March, and another a professional tailor that works out of her home that I’m going with.

She said April, but only because I’m adding color to my dress. Otherwise, her policy is to do one alteration @ 1-4 weeks out.

Post # 10
31 posts
Newbee

My bridal shop told me to go in February for my first fitting – and not necessarily to make any alterations regarding weight gain/loss, but to just try it on to make sure I have all my accessories put together.  They also told me it’s a good idea to start doing the “little” alterations like a little lace piece at my sweetheart neckline so my girls aren’t making any surprise attacks (I’m chesty), and to play around with some pictures of how I want my bustle to look when I come back in April for the beginning of alterations.

Mainly, my bridal shop told me, is also to get an idea of how much expense we are talking about regarding alterations so that come April (and June for my final fitting – my wedding is on the 16th and the 2nd will be the day my weight gain/loss alterations will be done), I am not shocked by my bill and I can make small payments for the “little” stuff up front and pay as we go through exactly what I want.

Plus, heaven forbid I don’t like the bustle – at least I have some time for them to undo and redo it – lol.  πŸ˜‰

Post # 11
1327 posts
Bumble bee

I figure in March I will look into getting alterations done.

Post # 12
39 posts
Newbee

I won’t my dress until April 2012… I ordered it back in September this year, and they told me it would be in store in January 2012. But last time when I called them, they said it won’t be in store until April now… So I can’t start my fitting and alteration until mid April. My wedding is on June 16th, so that’s like 6 weeks before as what it says on the knots. I don’t like the last minute idea either, but I don’t really have much choice

Post # 13
413 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Your not crazy at all. I booked my first fitting months ago. I’m going in on the 23rd of April. My dress is due on the 20th of March cant wait! 

Post # 14
1941 posts
Buzzing bee

I’m out of town from the wedding (about six hours) so I’ll be starting soon. Our venue is having a bridal show that we get free tickets to for the first weekend in Jan, so I’ll hopefully be able to get in a fitting that weekend, too! We’ll probably only get down to our venue about once a month, so we have to make those visits really count

Post # 15
378 posts
Helper bee

Wow, I am so glad I found this post. I thought I was a late lady with dragging my feet about not getting my alterations yet…what a sigh of relief to know that I still have plenty of time. I was just trying to find the right tailor for me that didn’t smoke in their establishment (a few places around me actually have seamstresses who smoke in the shop regularly, unfortunately, if you can believe it) and those that did not send their dresses out like a few bridal shops around me do. I have found a couple so I am happy to know that I still have time to decide who is the best one… thanks!

The topic ‘June 2012 — when are you doing alterations?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors