June 2019 POAS- Infertility Edition (12+ Months and/or Seeking Active Treatment)

posted 4 months ago in TTC
Post # 196
3283 posts
Sugar bee

littleanchor :  We’ve decided we’d do a sperm DNA frag test before we try IVF again, our doctor was very quick to put it all on me after our first failed cycle, but how can they possibly know that  *I* am the issue when they’re missing a huge piece of the puzzle!? 🙄

Post # 197
708 posts
Busy bee

Thank you for the love and support! (HUGS) Definitely taking this time to regroup. I’m dogsitting a friend’s puppy starting tomorrow, which honestly is the best distraction right now NicLE1218 :   mommadreams :   anev :   heartandstars :   cbn8787 :   lucky_charm :  

littleanchor :  Thank you! Yes, I asked my RE about a fragmentation test and he said they didn’t do one but they can. Now I’ll definitely make sure that he gets it done. What type of surgery did your hubby have? My RE said there’s a surgery they can do where they take the sperm from the testes directly to avoid oxidation. He seemed to think over oxidation from free radicals might be causing quality issues. 

RaccoonKitty :  I honestly don’t know why they don’t just do a fragmentation test along with all the tests they do for women (AMH, FSH, etc etc). The more I read about fragmentation the more it seems to be a huge issue that’s mostly ignored. 

Post # 198
450 posts
Helper bee

Just popping on here (I do follow the threads!) to say the dna frag test is so worth doing. Its incredibly frustrating that its not done as part of the initial testing as its most definitely the cause of infertility for several couples. You can have high dna fragmentation in the sperm, but have perfect count moltility & morphology. Im in Ireland and i requested it before starting ivf but told it wasnt needed. 2 girls in an Irish forum im part of had sevetal failed ivf rounds to be told its an egg quality issue etc for it to have come to light later that it was an issue with the sperm. 1 of them had success on her 4th round after treating the sperm. Clinics nearly always put it on the woman which is so wrong.

I had 1 round at home and had 2 x chemicals from my 2 embryos. My clinic werent willing to change anything and i honestly lost all faith in them. I done a.lot of research and i found a clinic in greece that i am now with. As part of their initial work up they put my d.h on a sperm improving protocol which is supplements  & 40 days of antibiotics. We went  over to them after this was completed and his count was up and his  morphology went up from 2% to 10%. His dna frag was 9% which is perfect but we dont know if this was elevated before his protocol. But this clinic are big on getting the sperm, utetus & egg quality right before doing an ivf cycle. I had a hysteroscopy at home which found no issues, my new clinic found lots of dead and old scar tissue and inflammation iny uterus which was likely the cause behind my  2 chemicals. They cleared it all out (we got a dvd to watch aswell of it lol) so my uterus is all fresh and optimal for pregnancy.

I think you need to be your own advocate & push for whatever testing you want doing. If i had stayed with my clinic i believe we would likely have continued to fail as my uterus was not in great shape & d.h sperm wasnt great. 

Sorry  for the long post & jumping in but i think its important to share any knowledge we have re ivf as its such a minefield and i have found reading others experiences etc so helpful.

Xx

Post # 199
708 posts
Busy bee

MrsG2BIre :  Thank you for sharing this. Doctors do tend to “blame the woman”. Plus 99% of the treatment is put on the woman. Dh just did a few tests and got completely abnormal results but there was no mention of treatment for him. Just do IVF with ICSI. Well that failed for us. Now what? Sigh. This whole process is like grieving. Some moments I’m ok and other times I can’t bear the not knowing if it will ever work. 

Post # 200
2099 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

goldenbrown :  after the fragmentation test, they sent us to a urologist. He diagnosed my husband with varicoceles which required surgery to fix. This was totally undetected in all normal sperm analysis we’d done (at least 8-9 samples!). It kind of boggles my mind that there were no other indicators. Our embryos were arresting between days 3-5. From what I’ve heard, egg quality is responsible for embry development from days 1-3 and the Sperm quality responsible for development from days 3-5. If the surgery didn’t fix the issue, they were going to recommend a TESE which is where they remove the sperm straight from the testicles but we never had to do it. Honestly I kinda shout DNA frag from the rooftops because it’s such a hard thing to identify an issue when it doesn’t present itself in a normal sperm analysis but it’s definitely possible. I don’t think doctors really give this test the credit it deserves because it’s a newer science but it made all the difference for us. I’ve also heard people say their doctors told them ICSI would solve any sperm issues which is just not true. I hope you get some answers soon. 

Post # 201
450 posts
Helper bee

goldenbrown :  Im so sorry your going through this and of course it is like a grieving process…its not meant to be this hard! Unfortunately thats the attitude of many clinics, icsi to bypass sperm issues. And definitely this works for many but not all. If the dna in the sperm is elevated then your a very high risk for bad quality embryos or no embryos or muscarraige etc. Im completely baffled why this dna frag test isnt considered essential…its a no brainer! 

I can completely relate to the fear of it not working again. However im much much more confident that it will after changing clinics and doing as much as we can to rule out any possible  issues . Feeling like your with a clinic who are willing to take your thoughts and opinions on board and do everything they can to get you  pregnany is vital! Dont be afraid to get second & third opinions and go with who feels right x

Post # 202
99 posts
Worker bee

heartandstars :  he didn’t mention a possible blockage, but I will be sure to ask him when we see him again in a few weeks. I don’t think there was anything obvious to him that indicated a blockage (blood work, semen volume).

Post # 204
2628 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2017

MrsG2BIre :  I know I’m not the one having issues currently with this (no sperm is our issue) but I thank you for sharing your story. So glad the new clinic is focused on that before someone wastes their money on a cycle if things aren’t right on the inside. It sounds like your old clinic has some learning to do!!!! I feel like the DNA frag should be a normal test also because it can be something a lot easier to fix if found before putting so much money into having a child only to find out it isn’t the egg/woman.

mommadreams :  I’m hoping IUI #5 (this one) or 6 works so we don’t have to go to IVF but we will if we need to. Hoping for good news from your urologist appt. 

Post # 205
142 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2017

Just had our follow up consult today. He thinks we’re good candidates. Husbands numbers were all good so it looks like I’m the only problem child. Originally we were talking about starting it after my period in July because of insurance preapproval but I just got a call that my insurance doesn’t require it so we can start after my period NEXT week. I’m both excited and my head spining from how fast it seems to be moving. Seems like theres so much I have to do, like learn about the medications and all that in a such a short time period. 

Post # 206
243 posts
Helper bee

AF came for me, so off to another month…. good luck bees hoping to hear some good news 🙂

Post # 207
2628 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2017

emapples :  I understand the overwhelming quick feeling of things, but that is also so awesome! Do some fast education and ask all the questions you need to. So exciting! 

latebloomerbee78 :  bummer! So sorry. Hope next month is your month. 

Post # 208
450 posts
Helper bee

NicLE1218 :  Thank you & best  of luck with your next iui! 

Post # 210
221 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I’m rolling over – negative test on 15 dpiui and I can tell AF will be here today or tomorrow.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors