June 2019 POAS- Infertility Edition (12+ Months and/or Seeking Active Treatment)

posted 6 months ago in TTC
Post # 76
1979 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2016 - Sussex, UK

littleanchor :  I hope all went well with your FET!

My ex colleague messaged me that she’s pregnant with her fourth child and said it was a “total shock.” I never used to think anything of it when people were surprised but now I wonder how people can truly be shocked when birth control is highly effective. She had her first three at 20, 22 and 24 and is now 36 and I really didn’t think she wanted another but who knows. I had two face to face pregnancy announcements last weekend, I feel like I’m becoming numb to it now and have a good poker face!

Post # 77
762 posts
Busy bee

EllyAnne :  I think we should all go to Vegas with our poker faces and try our luck winning back some of the money we’ve spent on infertility treatments 😉 lol

Post # 78
260 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Rolling over a few days late (CD7) and after reading this thread.  I totally agree about these boards being wonderful and the cost of fertility treatments being awful!  I am super lucky in that I have $25K in fertility benefits but I’m currently fighting with my insurance company b/c I was told that anything before a “treatment plan” would not count towards that max which was completely false.  Looks like if I eventually have to move to IVF, it’ll be quite a bit out of pocket:-(

Your age/partner’s age: 39 / 39

Baby #: 2

Cycles TTC: 11 (this month is the 1 year mark)  

Current CD/DPO: CD7

Usual Cycle Length: consistenty 31 until last month when my body totally surprised me and it was 25 (seriously, WTF???)

Ovulation or procedure date (and what kind): going to try a second IUI, date is TBD but likley sometime next week

POAS/beta day: will depend on IUI date but I’ll say the 21st for now

Known fertility issues: nothing diagnosed but I’m nearing 40 so I’ll say “mature eggs” 

BFP plan (BD timing, supplements, charting, etc.): bloodowork and ultrasound monitoring and IUI + BD around O

Trying anything new this month? Nope, second IUI

Link to your chart, if charting: N/A

For fun- Do you have any summer vacations planned this year?a few weeks in London at the end of the summer to visit family.  It’s an annual trip and always a nice time to get away and have my son bond with my husbands family!

Post # 79
99 posts
Worker bee

Update from uro appointment:

husband has to do another SA (centrifuged) and did bloodwork to check hormones. During the exam, doctor was worried about the small size of both of my husbands testes. Apparently they are so small and with the first SA being zero, doctor said we shouldn’t be surprised if it turns out that this is an issue (of no sperm) has been a problem since birth. 

Told us to not make final conclusions until he can look at blood work and second SA. Follow up appointment is in two weeks.

I left the office crying because now I feel hopeless. My husband said if it turns out to be an issue since birth, then it just is what it is but he feels like we would waste even more money looking into a second opinion if this doctor can’t help. I am usually a hopeful person but damn, I feel already depleted.

Currently 10 DPO and I don’t even have the slightest urge to test because I already know the results. 

I hope everyone else is hanging in there. Thinking of you all.

Post # 80
234 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

mommadreams :  I’m so sorry that the appointment was so discouraging. I’m really hoping there’s a blockage or something else that caused the no sperm, but hopefully you guys can process things and figure out your options moving forward. I’m so sorry though and sending you lots of hugs.

AFM, I had a CD12 monitoring appointment for my IUI today and I walked away feeling pretty discouarged. We have a dominant follicle at 23mm, but then one at 17mm and one at 11mm. He was trying to decide if we should do the IUI Friday or not, but my lining is only at 4mm, which sucks. I have always had thin lining, but it’s definitely a little thinner this month. I’m hoping it can catch up, but he’s leaning towards doing another US Friday and then triggering for IUI Saturday or Sunday in order to let the lining thicken a little. Of course, I could O before then anyway. I wasn’t expecting anything to come out of this IUI, but it’s still discouraging. We’re moving towards IVF, but I am looking at other clinics just based on the crazy cost of doing IVF with my current doctor ($32k on average), but will try to decide if we should do another IUI (with injectables this time) while we’re sorting that out. 

Post # 81
1309 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: City, State

Seeing my obgyn this Friday for a regular check up but sheʻs my favorite so Iʻm hoping sheʻll check to see if my lining has improved at all and/or my ovarian cysts. A new hormone panel would be great but I might not be able to push any further without being married yet cuz they want to do SA next but we have to be on the same insurance. 

Post # 82
326 posts
Helper bee

mommadreams :  Hopefully your husband just has a blockage that can be fixed! I understand feeling discouraged and depleted. I’ve been there. Take care of yourself right now – do your favourite things, take a day off work. Self care will help a little bit. Thinking of you <3 

cbn8787 :  FX your lining catches up!! 

AFM – I think I might be having an annovulatory cycle.  My temps are crazy and I’ve never gotten the thermal shift, even though I got a peak OPK reading. I’ve also had so much spotting from CD 17-19. Overall just a weird cycle. 

Post # 83
1979 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2016 - Sussex, UK

goldenbrown :  Yes, I’d quite like to be a millionaire!

ChiTownBee27 :  I hope you get somewhere with your insurance company! I likeLonfon in the summer (not the tube) but I’m  biased.

mommadreams :  I hope the blood work gives some clarity. I can understand it’s a shock to hear so I’m not surprised you were upset. Sending hugs.

cbn8787 :  FX your lining thickens. I’m so shocked at the cost of IVF in the certain countries. I know it differs with the clinic and sometimes company you work for but even outside the NHS in the UK we would pay nowhere near that. 

danakxox :  Hope you get as thoroughl a check up as you can without being on the same insurance.

heartandstars :  HVe you had annovulatory cycles before? I don’t think I’ve had one yet but I know it’s normal once in a while.

I’m ready to throw my Advanced Clearblue fertility monitor out the window. Biggest waste of money for me. Cheap OPKs are just fine.

Post # 84
2670 posts
Sugar bee

goldenbrown :  I didn’t think it would be as difficult, but it was. Thankfully we didn’t play any of the games a lot of people do, and just did a fun dice game and talked and whatnot. I had to stop watching the Handmaid’s Tale because it just got to me in ways I didn’t know it would….and I don’t know 100% why….I didn’t even get through all of the last season. 

anev :  I don’t even know what the $5k goes towards so will be doing some calling in the next month or so to see what that entails. We have an appt on July 11th, so until then we will keep on trucking. How did your appt go today (or yesterday depending on when you read this)?

heartandstars :  Thanks! It’s got to work for some of us. Come on. 

Post # 85
2670 posts
Sugar bee

EllyAnne :  Ugh. I’m sorry about that. I don’t know how people can be shocked by pregnancy either. The only way I could ever be is if my husband someday started to produce sperm again and I got pregannt. But for someone who has gotten pregnant and has children….if you haven’t gone through menopause or gotten things snipped people shouldn’t be surprised so much. I wasn’t impressed with the digital clearblue OPKs, and also thought the cheap ones were much better! 

mommadreams :  So sorry to hear this. There are options (such as donor sperm) if you do decide to go that route. Give yourselves some time, keep communication open and discuss things together. I was always one step ahead of my husband before the official decision, and that’s okay. I knew I had to let him come to the decision for us to use donor sperm otherwise it just wasn’t going to work. It is easy to feel hopeless. Hoping there’s a blockage or something for you two. Take some self care moments…a day off work…a weekend or night away. We are here for you. 

cbn8787 :  Which medication are you taking for your IUI cycle? If it’s clomid, it’s known to cause some lining issues. I can’t remember which one you’re taking! Fx your lining catches up for that 17mm follicle! Are they going to do another US to check things out this week? 

danakxox :  That is weird you have to be on the same insurance to do a SA. My husband and I aren’t on the same insurance and he got one done. Married or not, that is a weird requirement that he would have to be on the same insurance as you. 

Post # 86
2670 posts
Sugar bee

AFM as long as things go well on CD12 US 6/15, IUI should be on the 17th….which would put me at an official POAS date of 13dpiui (let’s be honest I start at 12dpiui) on 6/30, or 14dpiui on 7/1. 

Post # 87
1309 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: City, State

NicLE1218 :  my dr only takes my insurance and they said we had to go in together 🤷‍♀️

Post # 88
2670 posts
Sugar bee

danakxox :  Can he go to his primary doctor and ask to get one done? That’s what my husband did before we even went to the RE; in fact, we were waiting for the appt to happen. 

Post # 89
762 posts
Busy bee

Update: bees I am shell shocked right now. I went in for CD7 monitoring this morning and was hoping to see some progress after they upped my Gonal F. Instead I have just one developing follicle on each ovary with “maybe” a second one on each. I’m stunned. I spoke to a nurse afterwards and she suggested I come in again tomorrow and mentioned that my doctor might recommend canceling the cycle. I just can’t. I’ve been trying to remain positive and hopeful and was even feeling really good about things the last few days. And now this. She said I might just be a slow responder and “maybe” things will pick up. Maybe. Or “best case” they could try an IUI but I reminded her that we are MFI. I am just really not understanding. At my old RE they counted 16 antral follicles prior to my first IUI and that count was on Jan 28. Now I have a fraction of that count just four months later. I’m wondering if this clinic is no good or using a bad protocol. I’m wondering if it’s worth to at least go through with this round to try to retrieve the two eggs that are developing in case round 2 is worse. I am beyond frustrated right now… 

Post # 90
234 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

NicLE1218 :  I am on Clomid, and definitely aware of the lining issues it can cause. It may have some part it in, but I’ve always had thin lining too. I’m going back on Friday with plans to do the IUI Saturday or Sunday. FX this one does the trick for you!!

danakxox :  Yes, super weird they won’t take his insurance separately. I agree – I’d have him go to his primary care and have then send the details over if they’ll accept that. At my RE, they ran it through my husband’s insurance (we’re each with our employer), but it was $50 through insurance and $100 without.

goldenbrown :  I’m so sorry, how devastating. Will you get to see the RE tomorrow? I’m hoping things make an improvement by then or you can get some clarity. It’s beyond frustrating to finally get to the point of doing IVF and going through everything just to not even respond well.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors