(Closed) Just bought a Nikon D7000!

posted 7 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
14495 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I don’t know what kind of lenses you should get, but that camera is super cool.  My mom uses it as her travel one and she loves it.

Post # 5
1405 posts
Bumble bee

Budget aside get the 24-70 and the 70-200 f2.8  This will cover 99% of what you will ever need.

If you are on a budget, get a 50mm prime, and an aftermarket zoom

Post # 8
6825 posts
Busy Beekeeper

I have a Nikon D60 and have the 55-200 and the 70-300 and love both. I want to get the macro lens next. 

The lens you want or need depend on what kind of pictures you are taking.  For example if you want close up pictures of say flowers with bees on it you are going to want the macro lens. 

If you want to do wild life that is a ways a away you would want say like the 70-300 or bigger lens. 

Post # 9
14480 posts
Honey Beekeeper

@luli29: I just got a Canon SLR so I not sure how close the prices are for Nikon… But the lens I ended up starting with is a Sigma 18-200 general purpose travel lens (~$300) to use instead of the kit 18-55 lens, which I keep on it at home.  And I want to get the 50mm f1.8.  (~$100)  I really love the 10-24mm wide angle (~700), but that’s a little too steep for me to jump into right now.  I usually find that I need a wider angle more than zoom, and that 200mm is plenty.  Besdies with the # of megapixels cameras have these days, I figure I can probably crop down to what I need and the resolution still be perfect for any size I’d want to print.

Post # 10
1664 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

good choice on the camera! I have it and absolutely love it. some of my work if you want to see some examples of photos it takes…

Post # 13
2239 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

It depends on how much money you want to invest, but if you’re interested in bokeh I’d say definitely buy prime lenses. Prime lenses are usually more expensive but that’s because they are better quality. If you dont want to spend much at all, Nikon has the 50mm 1.8 and also a 35 1.8. I would definitely recommend the 35 because it will be closer to the focal length of a 50mm lens on a full frame body. I love the 50mm focal length for portraits but sometimes it is just too long if you are shooting indoors or in a small space. I think the 35 would be more versatile for a cropped body.

Post # 14
2086 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012 - Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards

Lucky duck!  I just have a D5000.

I took a photography class and the instructor extolled the virtues of a 50mm / f1.8, which I  heard another photog call the “Nifty Fifty” because it’s such a great lens.

Obviously, it’s great for close shots.

The other lense you get probably depends on what kind of pictures you take most. 

By The Way, you can always rent lenses for a little while to see if you like them.  A pro photog I know does that all the time.

Post # 15
2086 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012 - Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards

Since there are some knowledgeable folks here, can I tack on a question?

My instructor told us what the look for when it came to the letters AFTER the data on the lense, but I don’t remember what he said.  There’s AF, D AF…I can’t remember which I’m supposed to get!

How do you all feel about Sigma lenses?  I’ve heard they are comparable to Nikon ones?

Post # 16
1405 posts
Bumble bee

@kate169:  Bokeh is defined as the “quality” of the out of focus (blurred) part of a photograph, not to be confused with a narrow depth of field.  Prime lenses give a narrower depth of field because they have a narrower aperture than zoom lenses.  Cheap primes tend to have “harsh bokeh” due to a small number of aperture blades  More expensive primes (>$500) tend to have “creamier” and higher quality bokeh due to more aperture blades and the shape of the blades.

Fast zoom lenses are typically around the same price as high quality primes.  I wouldn’t say that prime lenses are higher quality than zooms.  Zoom lenses are more complex in design and have more moving parts.  Because of this they tend to not be as sharp as primes.

The topic ‘Just bought a Nikon D7000!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors